Mark Duffield Report Card - West Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Belltower

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
What did you think about half yearly report card for the Dockers and Eagles. Was he grading them on a curve or something, because how he could rate Scott Selwood and Stephen Hill as both B+ is astonishing. Scott Selwood has been one of the best midfielders in the competition this year and Stephen has been okay at best. Scott should be A and Stephen probably B- to C. There are a number of others but that really stood out to me. He also gave Crozier a C who has played 2 games and touched it about 10 times.

Brain dead. There was a small article on S.Selwood by Shane Crawford in the Herald Sun a few months back with him nominating the most improved players so far this year. He went on to say that when scooter first started playing he did not think he was very good or that he would make it. He followed up saying that when he became a run with player that he expected that this was all he was good for. Finally he corrected himself by saying he was dead wrong and that Scooter was fast becoming an A class player of the competition and would be soon rivaling his older brother at Geelong for output. I think so far this year Scooter has earned that praise.

Just another case of the West Australian pro-Fremantle bias. We know the lay of the land when it comes to these kind of things.

I'm taking this to twitter.

I'm still outraged they had the teams laid out vertically instead of horizontally.

What did you think about half yearly report card for the Dockers and Eagles. Was he grading them on a curve or something, because how he could rate Scott Selwood and Stephen Hill as both B+ is astonishing. Scott Selwood has been one of the best midfielders in the competition this year and Stephen has been okay at best. Scott should be A and Stephen probably B- to C. There are a number of others but that really stood out to me. He also gave Crozier a C who has played 2 games and touched it about 10 times.
Well Danny Kerr has played as many good games as Stephen Hill this season and also got a B+ ... but yeah I agree Scooter should be an A. Could also make an argument for NicNat being an A - has been superb in my opinion and has the highest average ranking points of any ruckman this season. Glass, Cox, Waters, Scooter, NicNat - 5 A's - that seems about right to me for a side that is top of the ladder.

Otherwise I thought the list was probably about right.

I am not one to just look at stats, but the gulf between selwood and Hill is massive. Hill is being tagged but Scott has also tagged players (including Hill) and still won his own ball. The only stat where they are equal is Goal assists, scott smashes him in every other category. I am not sure about inside 50's though because I haven't seen that stat.

He is also in the top 10 in the coaches votes now so B+ plus only is a joke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course West Coast and Freo supporters aren't graded on the same level. When I was in primary school we had a special ed section for the unfortunate kids with learning disabilities. Sometimes they'd join in with the ordinary class work. They'd often get gold stars or lollipops just for having a go, which was fine...

I thought I would give it a go as well. Critique at will...

Number Name Ranking Reasoning
1 Darren Glass A+ Needs no explanation
2 Scott Selwood A Now our number 1 mid. Not bad for a bloke who was a tagger last year. The transformation has been amazing and he gets in everything. Not quite the elite package, but could add a little dash and goals to his game for A+
3 Beau Waters A Really stepped up his games a notch this year. Getting a lot of it, distributing and still cleaning people up. Needs to watch his hip and shoulders to stop getting suspended.
4 Matthew Priddis A- Been playing a little more in the forward half this year, probably to allow others to rotate through the middle. Doesn't really suit him but hes got a couple of goals from it. Still our number 1 clearance mid and great at getting it out to others
5 Nicholas Naitanui A- He's on his way. Still short on endurance but what he does do is fantastic. Our number 1 ruckman now taking most centre bounces. He gets marked down for kicking point of the century.
6 Shannon Hurn A- Another year, and Hurn is still almost allowed to do as he pleases. Beautiful kick is his defining attribute. Could be better defensively, and in traffic when he has the ball.
7 Will Schofield A- Highly underrated outside WC but immensely valuable. Fast enough to take most smalls and good enoguh to beat most rucks. Gets on good runs as well. Only slight is that he can't afford to get in a wrestling match with any of the gorilla forwards.
8 Dean Cox B+ Form is down on last year, especially when taking the ruck however has shown a good aptitude up forward. Draws an incredible amount of ruck free kicks is his best rucking attribute :D
9 Eric MacKenzie B+ Defensively sound, suspect kicking is gone. Not much more that he needs to do really. Generally smart player
10 Jack Darling B+ Taken the number 1 defender with all the others out as a second year player. Clunking marks, ninja-flipping, and generally causing havoc. Would like him to stay involved a little more at times
11 Josh Hill B+ Great start for Hill especially after losing our 3 forwards. May suffer a bit when they get back but has shown his class, and good defensive pressure.
12 Luke Shuey B+ A little down on last years form, however his class really shined through in the wet. Nothing better than watching him take a game on. Would like to see more dash.
13 Andrew Gaff B Maybe a little low on rating Gaff. Runs all day, up and down the wing. Doing his job well and is getting bigger. Only slight is that he needs to kick a few more goals/get goal assists.
14 Matthew Rosa B See Gaff
15 Chris Masten B- Another prospect at the start of the season was probably on the outer, but through good training and preseason form, forced his way in and has impacted on the HFF. Loves to run and is doing his part
16 Daniel Kerr B- Has had a couple of outstanding games and a lot of ineffectual ones. Takes the hard tag to free up the others but it feels at times, this is all he is doing.
17 Adam Selwood C+ Cruising, and getting the job done. Hasn't been particularly bad or particularly good. Wouldn't want to slip much further for fear of being replaced by Stevenson/Smith
18 Jacob Brennan C+ Was given an oppurtunity in the backhalf following a few injuries and poor form and didn’t let go. Playing reasonably well, has speed and aggression which we love to see. Would be rated higher if he played more of the season.
19 Scott Lycett C+ Was capable in his 2 games so far this year. Developing nicely and starting to get better at WAFL. Being only his second year, he has done very well as a ruckman/forward.
20 Ashton Hams C Has the ability and physical body to be higher but hasn’t impacted games as much this year. Thought he was better in his first season.
21 Bradley Sheppard C Got an oppurtunity. Made it well known to everyone that he wanted desperately to play AFL. A few other players could take notice of how he went about. His onfield performances have been slightly above okay.
22 Koby Stevens C Similar boat to Swift except he is built like a tank. Probably good get a little more of it at WAFL, his one and only full AFL game was against GWS and he didn’t have a huge impact. Cannot afford to let chances slip through his fingers. Hopefully sticks around.
23 Stevenson, Lewis C Done just about all that can be done with WAFL form as a HBF. Stuck behind a queue of other players, cannot see him being delisted unless no other options show up.
24 Wilson, Blayne C Developing very nicely in the WAFL, showed good ability in the pre-season. Will get a new contract at the end of the year and hopefully continues his good development
25 Ashley Smith C- Injury and a lack of urgency in the preseason has prevented Smith from growing on last years output. Unsure as to what happened to his motivation, almost seemed to be permanently in cruise mode. Not in danger of being delisted however would want to get his skates on if he wants to be a part of premiership success rather than backup.
26 Mitchell Brown C- Had another unlucky run with injury and still behind Schofield, Glass and Mackenzie. Playing well in WAFL, just no spots left. Needs to take chances when given them
27 Patrick McGinnity C- Managed to hold his spot every week. His form however has been poor. I was a big McGinnity fan last year so heres hoping he gets back to what he showed then.
28 Quinten Lynch C- With Kennedy, Le Cras and Nicoski going down, we needed a big start to the year for Q. Failing to really dominate any match, he also is averaging lower disposals and marks in any year since his 3rd season. A real step-backwards and if it wasn't for the missing trio, probably would be in WAFL.
29 Ryan Neates C- Showed good WAFL form enabling him for a call up as the sub during a rough injury patch. Subsequently released back to WAFL where has been prominent.
30 Sam Butler C- For the first time in years, Sam Butler was injury-free after a pre-season and yet not called up to seniors. His failure to impact left him dropped and in usual fashion, he was injured again. Would imagine he is on his last contract.
31 Tom Swift C- Came back from pre-season rather toned, yet still built like a teenage school girl. Dominates WAFL, but isn't damaging enough nor strong enough at AFL level. Has another year on his side at least but would really want to start making his move soon
32 Strijk, Andrew D- Has gone backwards, struggled with injury and failed to have any look in for team selection. Probable delist at end of year.
33 Weedon, Gerrick D- Being dropped to WAFL reserves is completely unacceptable for a 3rd year AFL listed player. Unlikely to be given an extension
34 Andrew Embley DNR Shoulder injury in round 2. Awaiting return late in second half of the year.
35 Joshua Kennedy DNR Our number 1 forward coped a bad injury early on and looks like he wont recover till round 18-19. Need him back and firing for the finals.
36 Mark Lecras DNR Absolute shame our star forward went down with an innocuous sidestep that blew out a knee. Need him back for a big year next year.
37 Nicoski, Mark DNR Injury in pre-season grand final has probably ruined his entire year. Will be considered lucky to make it back in second half

Tom Swift got the same rating as Koby Stevens. Duffield pls. ;)

This is the full list for those unable or unwilling to buy the West.

Jacob Brennan C
Mitch Brown D+
Sam Butler C
Dean Cox A
Bradd Dalziell D
Jack Darling B
Andrew Embley D+
Andrew Gaff B
Darren Glass A
Ashton Hams C+
Josh Hill B
Shannon Hurn B
Josh Kennedy B-
Daniel Kerr B+
Scott Lycett D
Quinten Lynch C+
Eric Mackenzie B
Chris Masten C+
Patrick McGinnity C
Nic Naitanui B+
Ryan Neates D+
Matt Priddis B+
Matt Rosa B+
Will Schofield B
Adam Selwood B-
Scott Selwood B+
Brad Sheppard C+
Luke Shuey B+
Ash Smith C-
Koby Stevens C-
Tom Swift C-
Beau Waters A

Just have to remember they've got this whole new grading system this year; it now goes D-B-A-C

Does someone mind posting up the entire "report card" for those of us that didn't get a chance to read that rag today and for Eastern states fans. I'm stunned that Scooter didn't receive an A he wouldnt be far off a AA interchange possie

NVM - Quinz obviously read my mind. Cheers.

basically, you would assume that if each grade was allocated a numerical value, both teams reviewed would have the same total value, regardless of the absolute performance of the team, or their position on the ladder.

it's just a pointless filler article

Critique at will...

23 Stevenson, Lewis C Done just about all that can be done with WAFL form as a HBF. Stuck behind a queue of other players, cannot see him being delisted unless no other options show up.

24 Wilson, Blayne C Developing very nicely in the WAFL, showed good ability in the pre-season. Will get a new contract at the end of the year and hopefully continues his good development

31 Tom Swift C- Came back from pre-season rather toned, yet still built like a teenage school girl. Dominates WAFL, but isn't damaging enough nor strong enough at AFL level. Has another year on his side at least but would really want to start making his move soon
Your ranking is based on the NAB Cup matches, right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back