FTA-TV Mark Howard

Remove this Banner Ad

its a shame. It's on TV, you can see and sometimes hear what's happening. They need to let the scene speak for itself at times; so much more powerful. The producers and directors are technicians with no empathy.
The problem is that the special comments people would normally be able to fill in with what is happening off screen. Calling off TV means they can't fill in those moments

Spearman, Hawkman - you're both spot on. Problem is, we have to get used to it.

The commentators for whatever reason won't arc up about calling off a TV. They're on good coin, no need to travel, and already think the sun shines out of their collective backsides. Why rock the boat?

Bit off-topic, but like last year's Olympic coverage, get used to Ch7 commentators staying in Australia and calling basically everything off a TV for this year's Commonwealth Games.

The viewers might not like it, but when it comes to big events, they are basically powerless - and the media proprietors know it.

Listening to him on the cricket. Every player is a 'superstar' or a 'legend' and he's a complete suck to the other commentators, who are also 'legends'. Loves a 'skipper' and a 'skip' too.

That's what working with Luke Darcy on radio does to you. Kath Loughnan was on Will Schofield's podcast recently and made the obvious yet pertinent point that not every player is a superstar.

Harsha Bhogle never played at the top level yet he understands that not every player is a superstar and that not all his co-commentators are legends.

That's what working with Luke Darcy on radio does to you. Kath Loughnan was on Will Schofield's podcast recently and made the obvious yet pertinent point that not every player is a superstar.

Harsha Bhogle never played at the top level yet he understands that not every player is a superstar and that not all his co-commentators are legends.
They’re always a superstar when they do something wrong and it makes the paper

Was on with Ian Bishop the other day when Ireland beat the West Indies.

Bishop is the consummate professional, but Howard kept going down the path of “How do you feel as a West Indies fan?”, while Bishop kept trying to respectfully deflect.

Was worried when he first started as I thought he was a surfie flog type. Does a good job on both football and cricket and gained my respect when he started doing unscripted stuff direct to camera without any teleprompters such as when he took us through the DRS van last summer, knows his craft well. Must be hard for him working with legends (and their egos) of both sports as he didn't play at any great level and would need to gain their trust and respect by knowing his place in the hierarchy.

Was on with Ian Bishop the other day when Ireland beat the West Indies.

Bishop is the consummate professional, but Howard kept going down the path of “How do you feel as a West Indies fan?”, while Bishop kept trying to respectfully deflect.

I wish he'd pull that stunt on Ian Chappell. For this, I'm imagining a scenario where Chappelli is on Fox this summer and is on air when it's apparent South Africa will win this summer's test series.

Howie: "Ian, as a former Australian captain and an Australian supporter, how do you feel right now as South Africa are closing in on a 4th straight series win in Australia and a 3rd straight series win against Australia anywhere''?

Chappelli: ''Mate give me a spell. Rule number one of the commentary box is this: You're not in the commentary box to be a supporter, you're there to commentate. Frankly, I haven't cared about the outcome of a game of cricket since I stopped playing. Understand that and I might answer your bloody question''.

I wish he'd pull that stunt on Ian Chappell. For this, I'm imagining a scenario where Chappelli is on Fox this summer and is on air when it's apparent South Africa will win this summer's test series.

Howie: "Ian, as a former Australian captain and an Australian supporter, how do you feel right now as South Africa are closing in on a 4th straight series win in Australia and a 3rd straight series win against Australia anywhere''?

Chappelli: ''Mate give me a spell. Rule number one of the commentary box is this: You're not in the commentary box to be a supporter, you're there to commentate. Frankly, I haven't cared about the outcome of a game of cricket since I stopped playing. Understand that and I might answer your bloody question''.
If Chappelli was allowed to speak freely: “you’re a c*nt Howie, and I think less of you than Botham”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to him on the cricket. Every player is a 'superstar' or a 'legend' and he's a complete suck to the other commentators, who are also 'legends'. Loves a 'skipper' and a 'skip' too.
On top of that, I cannot stomach that drone, cringeworthy screech when a wicket is taken or a 4/6 is hit. I have to turn the sound off. I'm sure he's professional, but it's more annoying than exciting. And as mentioned, the continual arse-licking of anyone who has played either game is terribly grating.

On top of that, I cannot stomach that drone, cringeworthy screech when a wicket is taken or a 4/6 is hit. I have to turn the sound off. I'm sure he's professional, but it's more annoying than exciting. And as mentioned, the continual arse-licking of anyone who has played either game is terribly grating.

its endemic in AFL too.

"you played the game at the highest level"
"you know how it feels"

“As the great man, legendary superstar, M. E. K. Hussey, Mr. Cricket, wanders into the commentary box, Starcy has just gone for 36 that over, but the superstar Starcy would be the first to admit that they were all great deliveries, with some nice stroke play from some foreign batsman I’ve never heard of, but what about Starcy’s best ball of all time that knocked over McCullum in the World Cup Final at this magnificent stadium, the mighty ‘G? As Aussie superstars Marnus, Davey and the GOAT engage in some humourous banter in the cordon, the magnificent MCG crowd of 4,312 is in full swing as unbelievable local hero Bolo salutes his adoring fans at fine leg. What a legend. The magnificent skipper, P. J. Cummins, is coming in to bowl – the best bowler in the world, and we’ll be talking to the skip’ at the drinks break. What great access, as the legendary king, Brian Charles Lara, takes the microphone. How are you great man? How good is this Aussie team, B. C. Lara? I remember your 277. How do you take your coffee?”.

Last edited:
Suck Up Sell Out GIF by Dr. Donna Thomas Rodgers
Mcguires apprentice.

Brayshaw > Howard
“As the great man, legendary superstar, M. E. K. Hussey, Mr. Cricket, wanders into the commentary box, Starcy has just gone for 36 that over, but the superstar Starcy would be the first to admit that they were all great balls, with some nice stroke play from some foreign batsmen I’ve never heard of, but what about Starcy’s best ball of all time that knocked over McCullum in the World Cup Final at this magnificent stadium, the mighty ‘G? As Aussie superstars Marnus and Davey engage in some humourous banter in the cordon, the magnificent MCG crowd of 4,312 is in full swing as unbelievable local hero Bolo salutes his adoring fans at fine leg. What a legend. The magnificent skipper, P. J. Cummins, is coming into bowl – the best bowler in the world, and we’ll be talking to the skip’ at the drinks break. What great access, as the legendary king, Brian Charles Lara, takes the microphone. How are you great man? How good is this Aussie team, B. C. Lara? I remember your 277. How do you take your coffee?”.

That's a brilliantly written impersonation of Howie.

Clapping Applause GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back