Toast Mark O'Connor

Remove this Banner Ad

Their opponents had the sizeable boost of selecting Mark O’Connor, fresh from his AFL Grand Final triumph with Geelong. The loudest cheer of the first half was his 17th minute point from distance, a raucous acknowledgement from the crowd at Austin Stack Park that he had not lost his compass with a spherical ball. The point came after Dylan Geaney’s effort from goal was parried by the impressive Shane Murphy, and levelled the game again at 0-4 each.

David Shaw produced a sublime piece of technique to edge Crokes ahead again, but worryingly for them it was their final score of the half. Tom O’Sullivan begin to dictate the game’s tempo and when Mark O’Connor found him behind the Crokes cover to add a mark in the 28th minute, the west Kerry men had eased into a 0-8 to 0-5 half time lead.

Sounds like he had a bit of an influence.

Jesus H Christ - as if our culture and values weren’t the benchmark beforehand👏👏
Yeah I can’t believe how well Geelong (and Selwood) have come out looking off the back of this flag. Stuff of dreams for those running the place, that includes the current trade period. Good time to be a Cat supporter.

The fact that there are players on this trip who have been delisted in the past and this year shows how tight the playing list is.
Good to let O’Connor go home and play in front of friends, family and team mates.
Would have been interesting to see Ollie on the trip with his bro :laughv1:

I don't think O'Connor lacks confidence. He certainly didn't seem timid in the GF. The problem is his role in the team is kind of vague, or at least it seems that way to us fans. With Selwood retiring it's likely a few midfield minutes will open up for him, which will help.
Seemed more comfortable as a HBF but not creative enough to unseat the incumbents. Tuohy and Duncan nearing the end may save him unless he can get more strings to his bow.

Jesus H Christ - as if our culture and values weren’t the benchmark beforehand👏👏
It's that Stephen Okunbar in one of those photos? If so, great to see the boys catch up with him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good article here you guys might be interested in.

Fascinating insight into the mental challenges players face. He seems like a really smart, grounded guy and can see why he was elevated to the leadership group so early on. It sounds like his physical preparation is first class. Fingers crossed he gets the fire back in the belly for next season and beyond.

Love that a heap of Cats went over there to support MOC. What a team and what a culture!

I'm glad they'll have this beautiful premiership connection to tie them together for life. Sometimes I think about that brilliant Saints team who never won a flag (partly thanks to us lol) and how they'd never hold reunions. Premierships really take a team's connection to a special level and I'm so happy these boys get to experience that.

Fascinating insight into the mental challenges players face. He seems like a really smart, grounded guy and can see why he was elevated to the leadership group so early on. It sounds like his physical preparation is first class. Fingers crossed he gets the fire back in the belly for next season and beyond.
That was a great article.

We could see that he was off, and indeed he was. Glad that he found that spark at the right time. Glad the coaches backed him in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back