MarkWilliams?

Remove this Banner Ad

Port are going nowhere. Their window of opportunity passed last year. They will be a mediocre side for the next 4-5 years. They are a slow side nowadays and get hammered by these new generation teams with fast young skilful players. They do have a decent young core but they are going nowhere. Their record speaks for itself, 6-5.. cant blame injuries, basically everyone in the AFL this year has been affected by bad injuries, and injuries to key players.

Originally posted by Carmelo Anthony
Port are going nowhere. Their window of opportunity passed last year. They will be a mediocre side for the next 4-5 years. They are a slow side nowadays and get hammered by these new generation teams with fast young skilful players. They do have a decent young core but they are going nowhere. Their record speaks for itself, 6-5.. cant blame injuries, basically everyone in the AFL this year has been affected by bad injuries, and injuries to key players.
Crap.

I don't think any other side was missing 9 of their best 22 or 6 AA players at for the period that Port have. Fact is if we had as mny players out as Port we would be botto of the ladder. If Brisbane had that many quality players out they would not have better record than Port and neither would St. Kilda who are yet to have any serious injury issues this year.

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
Crap.

I don't think any other side was missing 9 of their best 22 or 6 AA players at for the period that Port have. Fact is if we had as mny players out as Port we would be botto of the ladder. If Brisbane had that many quality players out they would not have better record than Port and neither would St. Kilda who are yet to have any serious injury issues this year.
Beat me and a million others to it.

Injuries are just a blatant excuse. Firstly, Port were never good enough to win a flag, do you think they couldve realistically challenged Brisbane?? or even Collingwood the past 2 years. The Power are mentally soft, their loss to Sydney last year was a bigger shocker than our loss to Carlton. Weve been without some top players including two all australians for most of this year aswell, does that make us a good team because weve got injuries and were unlucky?

Port - No Good. Heck, they even lost to the crows.... thats embarassing.

Injuries are just a blatant excuse. Firstly, Port were never good enough to win a flag, do you think they couldve realistically challenged Brisbane?? or even Collingwood the past 2 years. The Power are mentally soft, their loss to Sydney last year was a bigger shocker than our loss to Carlton. Weve been without some top players including two all australians for most of this year aswell, does that make us a good team because weve got injuries and were unlucky?

Port - No Good. Heck, they even lost to the crows.... thats embarassing.
The fact that Port had to cover as many as 9 players out of their best 22 for majority of the year of which 6 are AAs, and still have more wins than losses at half way mark tells me that they are a very good side. Yes they have failed in finals and yes I think they could have beaten Collingwood. They also beat Brisbane at the GABBA last year in what was a match of the season (IMHO).

They fail when the pressure is on but sooner or later they will learn from than. Many people seem to think that Port have missed their wondow of opportunity but if we want to talk about Malthouses premiership clock Port were at 12 o'clock last year. they were smart enough to relaise that they need to add some quality youngsters to their list. they got rid off middle of the road players for draft picks inside top 30. Youngsters that were starved of opportunity in the past are getting a game this year and the youngsters that they drafted this year are showing some very promising signs.

By doing what I said in the paragraph above Port have dragged the hand so that they are now 10 minutes to 12 on that Malthouse clock. Wait until the likes of Kane, Ebert, White, Surja, Gilham and Pettigrew (to name a few) get more games under their belt and more experience. In 2-3 years time Port will still be one of the best sides in the comp.

Thats why they are in better position than we are, its called smart recruiting and smart list managment. Something that Adelade footy club should learn quick smart.

Wanganeen, Hardwick, Wakelin, Primus, Bishop, Schofield, Montgomery.

Port better find some long term replacements because I dont think Tredrea can keep on doing everything himself. Port have beaten very average teams this year... Bulldogs, Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn... they did beat Geelong and Essendon at home which were good results, but with a tough run away from home...I think Port could realistically miss out on the 8. Have they even won an away game yet?

Port better find some long term replacements because I dont think Tredrea can keep on doing everything himself. Port have beaten very average teams this year... Bulldogs, Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn... they did beat Geelong and Essendon at home which were good results, but with a tough run away from home...I think Port could realistically miss out on the 8. Have they even won an away game yet?
Out of those we do not have a ready made replacement for Primus (nobody has) and Monty.
The rest are covered.

Wanganeen is fair enough biut while he is not the sam type as Wanga, Salopek will develop into a gun so will Ebert. Hardwich has hardly played a game and the only reason he did is because Port were ripped apart by injuries. He is not in Ports best 22. I am sure that Gilham and Pettigrew can cover the loss of Wakelin and Bishop. Primus they don't have a replacement for. Surjan looks to be a gem and will be just as good if not better than Schoey. Montgomenry is not covered although Luke Peel is a potential replacement.

Tredrea is 24 and has plenty of footy ahead of him. Damon White is one bloke who is capable of taking the heat off Tredders and he will.

Port have managed their list very well. This draft you would probably have them looking for a ruckman and a couple of midfielders.

I know who is in better position between Crows and Port.

All I can say Stiffy is you heavily overrate port players :eek:

Im sure we could say the same about the Crows. Shirley replaces Bickley, Begley replaces Smart, Jericho can replace Hart etc etc. like what youve done.... Ports list is not very good at all. Definately not good enough to win the flag in the next 2 years, especially because the senior players I mentioned arent as good as they used to be, and their young group is very mediocre compared to most up and coming sides... Port are just average.

All I can say Stiffy is you heavily overrate port players :eek:

Im sure we could say the same about the Crows. Shirley replaces Bickley, Begley replaces Smart, Jericho can replace Hart etc etc. like what youve done.... Ports list is not very good at all. Definately not good enough to win the flag in the next 2 years, especially because the senior players I mentioned arent as good as they used to be, and their young group is very mediocre compared to most up and coming sides... Port are just average.
Time will tell but I am pretty comfortable with my prediction ;)

Originally posted by PAfolwr
Thanks all.
Now what was his coaching like?
Did he have a good team to start with or not? He did make the finals.
Did he go defensive come finals time?

Can't answer most of that as Glenelg mean about as much to me as Port and dog****.

But they made the Grand Final the year before he took over under Kym Hodgeman and even Tony McGuinness took Glenelg to the finals in 1999.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injuries are just a blatant excuse.

Injuries aren't theory, injuries are fact.

In a competition like the AFL where the 38-40 men you have on your list in a given season are non-negotiable it makes the situation even worse if you have a crisis the magnitude of Port's - how do you replace players the calibre of Primus, Wilson, Wakelin, Francou, Pickett, Dew, Hardwick, James, Carr (all have had prior long injury layoffs in the past 12 months or are still out) - not to mention losing Nick Stevens and Brent Guerra for nothing and practically nothing?

You can't. Not even Brisbane's list is that deep.

To say "injuries are just a blatant excuse" in regards to Port Adelaide is absurd - especially considering they're sitting in fifth place at 7-4 in spite of everything, while we continue our transformation into laughing stock.

What's our excuse? Or do we simply plan to cling onto the p1ssy "we've got 2 Premierships" slogan and live off past glories while the rest of the league leaves us behind - a la Norwood and Sturt back in the day?

At least Port are proactive.

Originally posted by dyertribe

In a competition like the AFL where the 38-40 men you have on your list in a given season are non-negotiable it makes the situation even worse if you have a crisis the magnitude of Port's - how do you replace players the calibre of Primus, Wilson, Wakelin, Francou, Pickett, Dew, Hardwick, James, Carr (all have had prior long injury layoffs in the past 12 months or are still out) - not to mention losing Nick Stevens and Brent Guerra for nothing and practically nothing?

To say "injuries are just a blatant excuse" in regards to Port Adelaide is absurd - especially considering they're sitting in fifth place at 7-4 in spite of everything, while we continue our transformation into laughing stock.

What's our excuse? Or do we simply plan to cling onto the p1ssy "we've got 2 Premierships" slogan and live off past glories while the rest of the league leaves us behind - a la Norwood and Sturt back in the day?

Excellent post - good summary of the situation. Any team with those injuries would struggle and Port have done a good job to be 7-4.

Was nodding the head all the way down to the "laughing stock" piece & then realized it was just dt & his Port Power wanna-be badly but not game enough to say it out in the open serenade.

Did we or did we not manage to play in the last 3 finals campaign??

& what's Norwood & Sturt got to do with us being left behind by the rest of the league ??

& correct me if i'm wrong but do not most Port Adelaide supporters ramble on & on about all those premierships won by the Port Magpies in years gone by ??

So excuse me if now & again i bring out my 97/98 finals video's & relive those heady days of premiership glory won by the Adelaide Crows.

Originally posted by noddy
then realized it was just dt & his Port Power wanna-be badly but not game enough to say it out in the open serenade.

Why wouldn't I be "game enough to say it out loud..."

I've always been a straight shooter on this board and since day one have never hidden the fact I have a deep love and admiration for Port Adelaide since childhood - having said that it's my loyalty that has seen me remain a fully paid up AFC gold member and my support lies fully with our lads.

So many people are so eager to sink the boots into Port Adelaide on this board, I usually ignore it but credit where credit's due - there's only so much horsesh|t you can smell before you gag.

Did we or did we not manage to play in the last 3 finals campaign??

2001 was p|sspoor. Losing to 1-21 Fremantle in Round 22 and blowing a home final in the process had us out of contention before we left for the MCG.

2002 was OK. If you ignore the fact Brisbane smashed us and we blew an 8 goal lead before recovering to win against Melbourne before the Pies put us out in the Prelim.

2003 was PATHETIC. Were second after Round 19 - before losing our next three to plummet to sixth.

& what's Norwood & Sturt got to do with us being left behind by the rest of the league ??

Once mighty and successful clubs who rested on their laurels - the rest is history.

& correct me if i'm wrong but do not most Port Adelaide supporters ramble on & on about all those premierships won by the Port Magpies in years gone by ??

If your club had won an Australian record 34 Premierships and made every other SANFL club look like ramshackle country football clubs in the process you'd gloat too. Jealousy's a curse.

So excuse me if now & again i bring out my 97/98 finals video's & relive those heady days of premiership glory won by the Adelaide Crows.

I was there both years. I have the videos too. I've tasted Premiership glory and I'm hungry for more. Not mediocrity and nostalgia.

Ports not a 7-4 team. Look at the teams theyve beaten, 6 of the 8 teams are almost certain teams to not make the 8, they beat Geelong by 4 pts, with only 1 respectable win over Essendon.

Theyll finish 11-11 or 12-10 at best, book it.

Theyve had a dream run, with an amazing 3 home games in a row at one stage. They travel 7 or 8 times this year and the next showdown will be 40000 crows supporters... they will not get any higher than 6th or 7th.

You saw what happened against a good team last week,THUMPED.

Its good to be a very crap 5 years for SA Footy starting from right about now.

Both teams are just not good anymore.

Ports not a 7-4 team. Look at the teams theyve beaten, 6 of the 8 teams are almost certain teams to not make the 8, they beat Geelong by 4 pts, with only 1 respectable win over Essendon.

Theyll finish 11-11 or 12-10 at best, book it.

Theyve had a dream run, with an amazing 3 home games in a row at one stage. They travel 7 or 8 times this year and the next showdown will be 40000 crows supporters... they will not get any higher than 6th or 7th.

You saw what happened against a good team last week,THUMPED.

Bookmarked.

Geez, & I thought ant was a pessimist. :eek:

Port are already one of the better teams in the AFL.

I'm confident the Crows can get back to being a force sooner rather than later.

Why wouldn't I be "game enough to say it out loud..."

I've always been a straight shooter on this board and since day one have never hidden the fact I have a deep love and admiration for Port Adelaide since childhood - having said that it's my loyalty that has seen me remain a fully paid up AFC gold member and my support lies fully with our lads.

So many people are so eager to sink the boots into Port Adelaide on this board, I usually ignore it but credit where credit's due - there's only so much horsesh|t you can smell before you gag.

2001 was p|sspoor. Losing to 1-21 Fremantle in Round 22 and blowing a home final in the process had us out of contention before we left for the MCG.

2002 was OK. If you ignore the fact Brisbane smashed us and we blew an 8 goal lead before recovering to win against Melbourne before the Pies put us out in the Prelim.

2003 was PATHETIC. Were second after Round 19 - before losing our next three to plummet to sixth.

Once mighty and successful clubs who rested on their laurels - the rest is history.

If your club had won an Australian record 34 Premierships and made every other SANFL club look like ramshackle country football clubs in the process you'd gloat too. Jealousy's a curse.

I was there both years. I have the videos too. I've tasted Premiership glory and I'm hungry for more. Not mediocrity and nostalgia.

Yes i know your thoughts regarding Port Adelaide & normally i have no problem with those allegiances it's just that when ever our club are having a real bad patch you are quick to bring out the old line of "why can't we be more like the Port Power " it can get up my nose a little bit.

Unfortunately i am not a gold member just a very loyal & passionate bronze member.

I have paid compliments to Port Adelaide when i feel they deserve it & have also given the odd bit of crap from time to time when in the mood, but it goes both ways that what supporters of footy teams do.

Regards your description of our finals games played in 01, 02 & 03 there was 8 clubs that didn't even make the finals in those years & 12 clubs that did not make the prelims in 02.

Not a supporter of either Norwood or Sturt but i'm sure Sturt won a flag not too long ago & i'm still not sure what you mean by putting the Crows in the same basket as those 2 clubs

Yes i can imagine you & other Port supporters gloating over how many flags you have won I lived in a houseful of them for years so i do know something about it, as for jealousy well maybe there are some AFL clubs & their supporters that have not won a flag for many a year ( or have never even won one) that could be jealous of the AFC & there back to back AFL premierships won in 97/98, but who cares ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back