No Oppo Supporters Marlion Pickett Arrested

Remove this Banner Ad

RICHMOND premiership player Marlion Pickett has been granted bail by a Perth magistrate after being charged over a string of alleged burglaries in which currency was stolen from safes.

Police remanded Pickett in custody on Sunday - a day after he played in the Tigers' 15-point win over Fremantle at Optus Stadium - alleging he was involved in commercial burglaries between December and January.

The 31-year-old appeared in the dock in Perth Magistrates Court on Monday, wearing a black sweatshirt.

He only spoke to confirm his name and was not required to enter pleas.

A police prosecutor told the court the alleged offending by Pickett and others involved a series of commercial burglaries resulting in the theft of more than $380,000 in Australian and foreign currencies from within safes.

Pickett is facing 12 charges including four counts of aggravated burglary, three counts of stealing and three counts of criminal damage.

Prosecutors opposed bail, saying there was a risk Pickett would reoffend if he was released.

Pickett's lawyer David Manera said the prosecution case rested largely on allegations deposits were made into his bank account by his co-offenders and that a camper-van rented in his name was driven interstate by the other men.

Magistrate Erin O'Donnell said the allegations were serious but she was confident Pickett did not present a significant flight risk.

She granted bail on the condition Pickett resides at his address in the Melbourne suburb of Reservoir, reports weekly to a local police station, does not interact with his alleged co-offenders and provides a $50,000 personal surety.

ever get the feeling one campaigner in here is gonna rub one out and consume the resultant spoils if Marlion goes for this?

Animation Hacking GIF by vewn

Has Marlion pleaded guilty ?
I must have missed that

If he has not then your not a believer of innocent until proven guilty i assume
To be fair, there's plenty of situations and precedent for stepping down someone pending a court case.

In the sport and other industries plenty of high profile individuals aren't always working through while they await trial.

This might be his last season regardless of his court case.

He turns 32 in a few weeks and we have a large pack of young players ready to step into the team and take the place of Pickett, Mcintosh, Grimes, Graham etc.
Wing or nowhere.. I think he's our best winger. 32 not old for wing position but

Jack Ross just doesn't look right on the wing. Middle or nowhere.

I wouldn't mind D Rioli backline and Short on a wing.

Leave Baker fwd.

or Short back and Rioli on a wing.
half back and wing in modern footy are very demanding positions fitness and gameplan wise

I would like to see us play 5 halfback / wingers with one always resting on the bench....short/rioli/baker and 2 of ross, macca, pickett or an up and comer jostling for that 4th and 5th half back/wing rotation.

can be structured that everyone get 80% match time and comes off for a breather when they are spent.

its a 25+ game long season assuming we make finals. 16-18 games or so is the go these days to manage the older and younger guys like grimes, macca, marlion, tresize, gibcus, banks, brown, sonz etc.... jack graham, prestia and hopper and even gulp:'( dusty managed to play only 18-19 games also makes sense, depending on form, travel and 5 day breaks etc.

Last edited:
half back and wing in modern footy are very demanding positions fitness and gameplan wise

I would like to see us play 5 halfback / wingers with one always resting on the bench....short/rioli/baker and 2 of ross, macca, pickett or an up and comer jostling for that 4th and 5th half back/wing rotation.

can be structured that everyone get 80% match time and comes off for a breather when they are spent.

its a 25+ game long season assuming we make finals. 16-18 games or so is the go these days to manage the older and younger guys like grimes, macca, marlion, tresize, gibcus, banks, brown, sonz etc.... jack graham, prestia and hopper and even gulp:'( dusty managed to play only 18-19 games also makes sense, depending on form, travel and 5 day breaks etc.
Agree in theory, but when it comes to important matches, which is pretty much every match these days, coaches are never going to say, maybe we should rest Dusty, they will want their strongest side on the park every week. Maybe Nank in the ruck because it is such a demanding position could do with the odd rest.

But there may be an extra on the bench this year, which effectively does what you are saying, allows for more revolving of the wings half backs. I do think we will see more young players in our side week to week than last year. Two new for a start, Jack and Cotch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarke , Banks or Brown need to be developed as wings / HB. Short is poor overhead and not physically strong enough aerially even just to make a contest. RIOLI is a definite, but we may rob Peter to pay Paul by moving him on the Wing. I still think his game could actually suffer again as he will then need to revert being a 360 degrees player or even a spherical player where a winger is like a player inside a ball around a meter in diameter higher than his height. Plus once at ground level you need to be able to accelerate from either stationary positions as well as mobile ones.

pretty sure you explore every nook and cranny to see where you can post some more negative and uneducated spin and grandstanding about the Tigers

What's uneducated about my opinion?

I reckon its a valid comment. The club should reconsider allowing him to be part of the group while he has serious convictions hanging over his head that his reported co-accused has pleaded guilty to PLUS sex crimes against minors.

It's all good and well to "support the player" - but what about all the other players? If he is charged on these counts alongside Kurtley Thorne - who has just admitted to sex crimes against minors as well. Then what? you have just subjected your young recruits to play alongside a known criminal, who had convictions pending & known relationship with a pedo. Gross.

The pedo association is too much for me, irrelevant to how much i like Marlion.

When we recruited Marlion, he had a pretty big wrap sheet. We recruited him knowing his history with crime. He knew when we recruited him how damaging his wrap sheet was too, the risk involved etc

So is it surprising that we find him sitting with convictions over his head and being placed as a co-accused against pretty grubby types like Kurtley Thorne? Possibly not, we knew the risk - but its bloody disappointing. no doubt. This doesn't happen by mistake. If he is guilty only by association, being associated with a a bloke like Kurtley is enough considering the risk he knew we were taking on him.

He has clearly still be hanging out with blokes who did commit these crimes. That for me is enough to cut the cord at this point. He needed to move on with his life and not look back.

Everyone said supporting Stack endlessly & blindlessly too was a good strategy. Ultimately, it wasnt. At this stage Syd's career is over & the club saw a noticeable drop in its club standards over that period. After the shitshow of 2020, the standards dropped, and dropped and dropped.

Deaths are almost always of a 1000 cuts when it comes to a demise of culture. At some point you need to establish your standards as a club & i reckon Marlion, irrelevant to his guilt in those crimes, has likely overstepped those standards by remaining in association with Kurtley.

Last edited:
What's uneducated about my opinion?

I reckon its a valid comment. The club should reconsider allowing him to be part of the group while he has serious convictions hanging over his head that his reported co-accused has pleaded guilty to PLUS sex crimes against minors.

It's all good and well to "support the player" - but what about all the other players? If he is charged on these counts alongside Kurtley Thorne - who has just admitted to sex crimes against minors as well. Then what? you have just subjected your young recruits to play alongside a known criminal, who had convictions pending & known relationship with a pedo. Gross.

The pedo association is too much for me, irrelevant to how much i like Marlion.

When we recruited Marlion, he had a pretty big wrap sheet. We recruited him knowing his history with crime. He knew when we recruited him how damaging his wrap sheet was too, the risk involved etc

So is it surprising that we find him sitting with convictions over his head and being placed as a co-accused against pretty grubby types like Kurtley Thorne? Possibly not, we knew the risk - but its bloody disappointing. no doubt. This doesn't happen by mistake. If he is guilty only by association, being associated with a a bloke like Kurtley is enough considering the risk he knew we were taking on him.

He has clearly still be hanging out with blokes who did commit these crimes. That for me is enough to cut the cord at this point. He needed to move on with his life and not look back.

Everyone said supporting Stack endlessly & blindlessly too was a good strategy. Ultimately, it wasnt. At this stage Syd's career is over & the club saw a noticeable drop in its club standards over that period. After the shitshow of 2020, the standards dropped, and dropped and dropped.

Deaths are almost always of a 1000 cuts when it comes to a demise of culture. At some point you need to establish your standards as a club & i reckon Marlion, irrelevant to his guilt in those crimes, has likely overstepped those standards by remaining in association with Kurtley.
Stop using Kurtley as a reference, even you say it is too much.

We don't know enough about his association with the others accused. I'm pretty sure the club would have a good idea about this, surely Pickett has been honest with them. Perhaps that is why they have been backing him. If he hasn't been honest that will come out, but he seems a pretty straight shooter to me.

We don't know enough about his association with the others accused. I'm pretty sure the club would have a good idea about this, surely Pickett has been honest with them. Perhaps that is why they have been backing him. If he hasn't been honest that will come out, but he seems a pretty straight shooter to me.
exactly.... my short version of possible convo's

club: marlion, your situation has put us in a precarious position.!?

marlion: im not guilty, i trusted someone i shouldn't have

club: thats good enough for us, we're right behind you.

marlion: thanks, i appreciate it.

99% of supporter base = happy. lets leave it at that
1% = look at me, look at me.....i know best.

Clarke , Banks or Brown need to be developed as wings / HB. Short is poor overhead and not physically strong enough aerially even just to make a contest. RIOLI is a definite, but we may rob Peter to pay Paul by moving him on the Wing. I still think his game could actually suffer again as he will then need to revert being a 360 degrees player or even a spherical player where a winger is like a player inside a ball around a meter in diameter higher than his height. Plus once at ground level you need to be able to accelerate from either stationary positions as well as mobile ones.
bolded bit sounds like something Julius Sumner Miller would say :D
download.jpg

ever get the feeling one campaigner in here is gonna rub one out and consume the resultant spoils if Marlion goes for this?

Animation Hacking GIF by vewn
If that's his inclined disposition - go for it - each to their own;)

Kurtley is being only being referenced as he has pleaded guilty for being part of the same crimes Marlion is being investigated for. He is being referenced for being relevant. You can't hide from the truth, lol. He is referred to as Marlion's "Co-Offender" & has pleaded guilty.

If Marlion pleads guilty, or is found guilty of any of the crimes here, then our wing for 2024 is going to be a accomplice in a crime with a pedo. Is that how we go about raising standards at the club? The club cannot presume his innocence as much as we can't presume his guilt, especially when dealing with teammates etc. At what point does the story get to "icky" that its understandable a divide needs to be made?

I'm all for supporting Marlion. We are on page 32 of this saga which is over 6 months old. Before this week,, i had posted once or twice n this thread. Kept away from it as there has been no information to really say anything worthwhile. The news of Kurtley pleading guilty changes that a bit. We now have someone with a history with Marlion pleading guilty to committing the crimes. From what i understand, Marlion's involvement revolved around funding the operation & helping arrange the equipment, and perhaps around the transportation and more logistical sides of things only, but he acted with some form of profit coming back his way.

The club can stand by Marlion and still ask for him to step aside from the club until his legal matters are sorted. Being an accomplice with a pedo in committing pretty thuggy crimes is not the Richmond way. Gotta learn from Syd Stack - sometimes these people are just guilty of being their own worst enemy & can just bring the entire standard of your club and playing group down.

This is a Marlion issue, not a Richmond one. Club should define it like that and seperate the problems.

Last edited:
That was a really good call , But you just couldnt help yourself laying boots in.
Could you !!!!

Club first, always.

This is a Marlion problem. Was happy to let it play out, but Thorne is a pedo and currently Marlion's, guilty, co-offender. I want the clubs standards to be raised, not potentially lowered. If Marlion plays 15 games and then pleads guilty to the charges - then what? we just let a guilty guy play 15 games on the wing because the process of the law took that long? The risk/reward here is too much IMO. Marlion could surely not feel hard done by if the club made that decision. This is ultimately a Marlion problem, not a Richmond one.

I just want a playing group that is not mentally elsewhere & its impossible for Marlion to not be affected by this. He is facing jail time. Again. We have had enough years of "problematic problems" - we need a normal ******* year. Not court cases etc. The drama has been relentless.

Club first, always.

This is a Marlion problem. Was happy to let it play out, but Thorne is a pedo and currently Marlion's, guilty, co-offender. I want the clubs standards to be raised, not potentially lowered. If Marlion plays 15 games and then pleads guilty to the charges - then what? we just let a guilty guy play 15 games on the wing because the process of the law took that long? The risk/reward here is too much IMO. Marlion could surely not feel hard done by if the club made that decision. This is ultimately a Marlion problem, not a Richmond one.

I just want a playing group that is not mentally elsewhere & its impossible for Marlion to not be affected by this. He is facing jail time. Again. We have had enough years of "problematic problems" - we need a normal ******* year. Not court cases etc. The drama has been relentless.

Genius.

Then Marlion goes ahead and pleads not guilty and is found not guilty. It would really have raised the cubs standards to have pre-judged one of its own players who was later found to be innocent of breaking any law.

How about just let the case play out and allow him to be judged by the law. And then respond appropriately once that is done. If Marlion was considered a danger to anybody, he would not have been bailed. Whatever crimes any other co-accused has committed become irrelevant if Marlion is found not guilty. Dustin Martin's father was deported for links to a bikie gang and a criminal record. Dusty continued to associate with his father. Would sacking Dustin Martin have ensured the club's standards were raised? Would it have meant we didn't have players who were "mentally elsewhere?"

Your position on this is much like your position on most things - ******* stupid.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back