No Oppo Supporters Marlion Pickett Arrested

Remove this Banner Ad

RICHMOND premiership player Marlion Pickett has been granted bail by a Perth magistrate after being charged over a string of alleged burglaries in which currency was stolen from safes.

Police remanded Pickett in custody on Sunday - a day after he played in the Tigers' 15-point win over Fremantle at Optus Stadium - alleging he was involved in commercial burglaries between December and January.

The 31-year-old appeared in the dock in Perth Magistrates Court on Monday, wearing a black sweatshirt.

He only spoke to confirm his name and was not required to enter pleas.

A police prosecutor told the court the alleged offending by Pickett and others involved a series of commercial burglaries resulting in the theft of more than $380,000 in Australian and foreign currencies from within safes.

Pickett is facing 12 charges including four counts of aggravated burglary, three counts of stealing and three counts of criminal damage.

Prosecutors opposed bail, saying there was a risk Pickett would reoffend if he was released.

Pickett's lawyer David Manera said the prosecution case rested largely on allegations deposits were made into his bank account by his co-offenders and that a camper-van rented in his name was driven interstate by the other men.

Magistrate Erin O'Donnell said the allegations were serious but she was confident Pickett did not present a significant flight risk.

She granted bail on the condition Pickett resides at his address in the Melbourne suburb of Reservoir, reports weekly to a local police station, does not interact with his alleged co-offenders and provides a $50,000 personal surety.

Club first, always.

This is a Marlion problem. Was happy to let it play out, but Thorne is a pedo and currently Marlion's, guilty, co-offender. I want the clubs standards to be raised, not potentially lowered. If Marlion plays 15 games and then pleads guilty to the charges - then what? we just let a guilty guy play 15 games on the wing because the process of the law took that long? The risk/reward here is too much IMO. Marlion could surely not feel hard done by if the club made that decision. This is ultimately a Marlion problem, not a Richmond one.

I just want a playing group that is not mentally elsewhere & its impossible for Marlion to not be affected by this. He is facing jail time. Again. We have had enough years of "problematic problems" - we need a normal ******* year. Not court cases etc. The drama has been relentless.
What absolute rubbish

So you want the club to abandon and dump one of its players before he is actually judged by the law of the land
I would hate to go to war with you on my side

Weak as piss

What absolute rubbish

So you want the club to abandon and dump one of its players before he is actually judged by the law of the land
I would hate to go to war with you on my side

Weak as piss
Block the tool. You are wasting your time.

Genius.

Then Marlion goes ahead and pleads not guilty and is found not guilty. It would really have raised the cubs standards to have pre-judged one of its own players who was later found to be innocent of braking any law.

How about just let the case play out and allow him to be judged by the law. And then respond appropriately once that is done. If Marlion was considered a danger to anybody, he would not have been bailed. Whatever crimes any other co-accused has committed become irrelevant if Marlion is found not guilty. Dustin Martin's father was deported for links to a bikie gang and a criminal record. Dusty continued to associate with his father. Would sacking Dustin Martin have ensured the club's standards were raised? Would it have meant we didn't have players who were "mentally elsewhere?"

Your position on this is much like your position on most things - ******* stupid.
I agree with this. I hate to dismiss any poster. Christ almighty the amount of bitching and complaining about free kicks; Xmas cards, the CFL, thank goodness for the ignore button.
RFK posts a discussion point about Marion's charge and the response the club should take.
I disagree with it. Like you say dusty Martin's father's situation was not ideal. Sack a player for it? Jake King association with Toby McGuire? Not ideal. Sydney stack run in with the law.

Are King, Martin and stack s behaviour affecting the group?
Well we were pretty crap in 2023. Would sacking Pickett improved things? The club didn't seem to think so
Selected week in week out, he may very well lose his spot regardless of the court decision.

Don't want to go all stolen generation on Pickett's Life decisions.

He is a noongar adult father of 4 and it seems like there's family relationships that I don't understand.

To Moi it would seem a no brainer to distance myself from bad seeds. That's not as easy as it seems. Now facing jail again.

Kurtley is being only being referenced as he has pleaded guilty for being part of the same crimes Marlion is being investigated for. He is being referenced for being relevant. You can't hide from the truth, lol. He is referred to as Marlion's "Co-Offender" & has pleaded guilty.

If Marlion pleads guilty, or is found guilty of any of the crimes here, then our wing for 2024 is going to be a accomplice in a crime with a pedo. Is that how we go about raising standards at the club? The club cannot presume his innocence as much as we can't presume his guilt, especially when dealing with teammates etc. At what point does the story get to "icky" that its understandable a divide needs to be made?

I'm all for supporting Marlion. We are on page 32 of this saga which is over 6 months old. Before this week,, i had posted once or twice n this thread. Kept away from it as there has been no information to really say anything worthwhile. The news of Kurtley pleading guilty changes that a bit. We now have someone with a history with Marlion pleading guilty to committing the crimes. From what i understand, Marlion's involvement revolved around funding the operation & helping arrange the equipment, and perhaps around the transportation and more logistical sides of things only, but he acted with some form of profit coming back his way.

The club can stand by Marlion and still ask for him to step aside from the club until his legal matters are sorted. Being an accomplice with a pedo in committing pretty thuggy crimes is not the Richmond way. Gotta learn from Syd Stack - sometimes these people are just guilty of being their own worst enemy & can just bring the entire standard of your club and playing group down.

This is a Marlion issue, not a Richmond one. Club should define it like that and seperate the problems.
His involvement in the crime is from the police, that doesn't make it true. That would be a strange precedent, to act on charges without going to trial. Until the truth comes out, then he is innocent.

The association with Kurtley has not helped, but for all we know he barely knew him, or if he did had no knowledge of his crimes. Trial by association is not really fair either because that is a very broad brush and a pretty dangerous precedent as well.

Last edited:
I have heard #TigerImposter say "Why is it so", and then answer his own question! Granted we'd had a few shandies, but there you go....
I did say "Why is it so" that night bc I'm not a beer drinker yet I was drinking it. Amazing what beating Geelong does to me , or was it the good company around me?

I agree with this. I hate to dismiss any poster. Christ almighty the amount of bitching and complaining about free kicks; Xmas cards, the CFL, thank goodness for the ignore button.
RFK posts a discussion point about Marion's charge and the response the club should take.
I disagree with it. Like you say dusty Martin's father's situation was not ideal. Sack a player for it? Jake King association with Toby McGuire? Not ideal. Sydney stack run in with the law.

Are King, Martin and stack s behaviour affecting the group?
Well we were pretty crap in 2023. Would sacking Pickett improved things? The club didn't seem to think so
Selected week in week out, he may very well lose his spot regardless of the court decision.

Don't want to go all stolen generation on Pickett's Life decisions.

He is a noongar adult father of 4 and it seems like there's family relationships that I don't understand.

To Moi it would seem a no brainer to distance myself from bad seeds. That's not as easy as it seems. Now facing jail again.
Jeez running a football club in 2023, gotta have focus groups on the Xmas cards. Get it wrong start a riot. Lose members.
The modern world, gotta be outraged at something eh?
I love the look of team. Radical change from the 70s . The AFLW?
KGI institute I like. Charity that we support. Alannah and Madeleine..?

I call it progress. My gripe is the advertising.

Having a player list that Muslim religious players, African, NZ Maori background players. lately lots of indig players.

The dynasty was over quicker than I hoped. Going to a game got very difficult, the game day expected is fng awful for me. Ground announcer? Yuk.
Covid made it harder. Soft cap cuts cost us good assistants. We didn't play that well over the last few years. Unprecedented Dusty injury, then inability to win close games, or marvel became issues.
Dimma 3 flags but medical marijuana divorced, steps down.. and moves to the Goldie outraged some on here.

It was going be the end of his career.
.. Sun's flew to Europe to sign him up.

I think we won a close game or 2 under Mini. But he didn't earn himself the permanent job. Thank goodness.

Looks like a promising coaching group taken the reins.

Benny Gale at the helm, smooth replacement for Peggy.

The clubs in good hands.

Last edited:
His involvement in the crime is from the police, that doesn't make it true. That would be a strange precedent, to act on charges without going to trial. Until the truth comes out, then he is innocent.

The association with Kurtley has not helped, but for all we know he barely knew him, or if he did had no knowledge of his crimes. Trial by association is not really fair either because that is a very broad brush and a pretty dangerous precedent as well.
I could be mistaken but isn’t Kurtley his brother in law? Or one of the other people accused?
Would make the prospect of never associating with him rather difficult or Kurtley could be an associate of his brother in law and not Pickett himself

Gotta learn from Syd Stack - sometimes these peopleare just guilty of being their own worst enemy & can just bring the entire standard of your club and playing group down.

Season 8 Wow GIF by The Office

I could be mistaken but isn’t Kurtley his brother in law? Or one of the other people accused?
Would make the prospect of never associating with him rather difficult or Kurtley could be an associate of his brother in law and not Pickett himself
Couldn't find his brother in law's name, but if it was you would think it would be easy to find.

Either way Pickett has been living in Vic for some years now, so who knows.

Couldn't find his brother in law's name, but if it was you would think it would be easy to find.

Either way Pickett has been living in Vic for some years now, so who knows.
Yeah I’m not sure either
I just remember reading that when the charges initially came out it was reported that his brother in law was involved

Just as a counter point to people saying Pickett shouldn’t of been associating with Kurtley when it simply might not be that simple or that he wasn’t actually an associate of Pickett himself but known to his brother in law who pulled Pickett into this mess

What's uneducated about my opinion?

I reckon its a valid comment. The club should reconsider allowing him to be part of the group while he has serious convictions hanging over his head that his reported co-accused has pleaded guilty to PLUS sex crimes against minors.

It's all good and well to "support the player" - but what about all the other players? If he is charged on these counts alongside Kurtley Thorne - who has just admitted to sex crimes against minors as well. Then what? you have just subjected your young recruits to play alongside a known criminal, who had convictions pending & known relationship with a pedo. Gross.

The pedo association is too much for me, irrelevant to how much i like Marlion.

When we recruited Marlion, he had a pretty big wrap sheet. We recruited him knowing his history with crime. He knew when we recruited him how damaging his wrap sheet was too, the risk involved etc

So is it surprising that we find him sitting with convictions over his head and being placed as a co-accused against pretty grubby types like Kurtley Thorne? Possibly not, we knew the risk - but its bloody disappointing. no doubt. This doesn't happen by mistake. If he is guilty only by association, being associated with a a bloke like Kurtley is enough considering the risk he knew we were taking on him.

He has clearly still be hanging out with blokes who did commit these crimes. That for me is enough to cut the cord at this point. He needed to move on with his life and not look back.

Everyone said supporting Stack endlessly & blindlessly too was a good strategy. Ultimately, it wasnt. At this stage Syd's career is over & the club saw a noticeable drop in its club standards over that period. After the shitshow of 2020, the standards dropped, and dropped and dropped.

Deaths are almost always of a 1000 cuts when it comes to a demise of culture. At some point you need to establish your standards as a club & i reckon Marlion, irrelevant to his guilt in those crimes, has likely overstepped those standards by remaining in association with Kurtley.
Wa wa wa

What's uneducated about my opinion?

I reckon its a valid comment. The club should reconsider allowing him to be part of the group while he has serious convictions hanging over his head that his reported co-accused has pleaded guilty to PLUS sex crimes against minors.

It's all good and well to "support the player" - but what about all the other players? If he is charged on these counts alongside Kurtley Thorne - who has just admitted to sex crimes against minors as well. Then what? you have just subjected your young recruits to play alongside a known criminal, who had convictions pending & known relationship with a pedo. Gross.

The pedo association is too much for me, irrelevant to how much i like Marlion.

When we recruited Marlion, he had a pretty big wrap sheet. We recruited him knowing his history with crime. He knew when we recruited him how damaging his wrap sheet was too, the risk involved etc

So is it surprising that we find him sitting with convictions over his head and being placed as a co-accused against pretty grubby types like Kurtley Thorne? Possibly not, we knew the risk - but its bloody disappointing. no doubt. This doesn't happen by mistake. If he is guilty only by association, being associated with a a bloke like Kurtley is enough considering the risk he knew we were taking on him.

He has clearly still be hanging out with blokes who did commit these crimes. That for me is enough to cut the cord at this point. He needed to move on with his life and not look back.

Everyone said supporting Stack endlessly & blindlessly too was a good strategy. Ultimately, it wasnt. At this stage Syd's career is over & the club saw a noticeable drop in its club standards over that period. After the shitshow of 2020, the standards dropped, and dropped and dropped.

Deaths are almost always of a 1000 cuts when it comes to a demise of culture. At some point you need to establish your standards as a club & i reckon Marlion, irrelevant to his guilt in those crimes, has likely overstepped those standards by remaining in association with Kurtley.
Just so we are all clear here. You want the club to sack Marlion because;
1. He has been charged with a crime
2. He has an associate who has been convicted with a crime that offends your morals

Here is where your opinion is uneducated. Lets take your dream scenario and place a defining tag on it. What you want is private organisations being able to make judgements on a person regardless of our judicial system. That is ******* insane.

Private Organisations should not even have the ability to fire someone who has been charged with a crime. Being charged with a crime is just the police saying that they believe they have enough evidence to get a conviction. You are not a criminal if you have been charged. Private organisations must wait until the accused has had their day in court. If the Judicial system says they are guilty then the private organisation can act.

Additionally, under your system people would need to be "purity" tested constantly. Those who have made any mistakes with the law, no matter how small, would be cast out and shunned because people would not want to put their job at risk by associating with them. Why would people cut people off? Easy, there is no shared morality. You could have a boss who had a family member killed by a speeding driver - Family member gets a speeding ticket or conviction? Time to cut them off so your boss doesn't find out.

In addition to the above with getting rid of Marlion because of his association with an unsavoury character, this is a prime example of power creep that organisations love. This is up there with people getting fired because of something they said on Twitter or by going to a protest outside of work hours. People are contracted to do a job and act professionally during those hours. We are also paid during said hours. If organisations want to be able to moderate what I do my spare time then they need to pay me for 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

2. He has an associate who has been convicted with a crime that offends your morals

Here is where your opinion is uneducated. Lets take your dream scenario and place a defining tag on it. What you want is private organisations being able to make judgements on a person regardless of our judicial system. That is ******* insane.

Private Organisations should not even have the ability to fire someone who has been charged with a crime. Being charged with a crime is just the police saying that they believe they have enough evidence to get a conviction. You are not a criminal if you have been charged. Private organisations must wait until the accused has had their day in court. If the Judicial system says they are guilty then the private organisation can act.

Additionally, under your system people would need to be "purity" tested constantly. Those who have made any mistakes with the law, no matter how small, would be cast out and shunned because people would not want to put their job at risk by associating with them. Why would people cut people off? Easy, there is no shared morality. You could have a boss who had a family member killed by a speeding driver - Family member gets a speeding ticket or conviction? Time to cut them off so your boss doesn't find out.

In addition to the above with getting rid of Marlion because of his association with an unsavoury character, this is a prime example of power creep that organisations love. This is up there with people getting fired because of something they said on Twitter or by going to a protest outside of work hours. People are contracted to do a job and act professionally during those hours. We are also paid during said hours. If organisations want to be able to moderate what I do my spare time then they need to pay me for 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
OIP.pUyzqQrKISHf1OplI7xL-AHaE0

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brilliantly put. Wish I could compose something like that. I’m tired of morality wardens who preach to us all what our standards should be. Pickett should not lose his career over yet to be proven allegations.

Brilliantly put. Wish I could compose something like that. I’m tired of morality wardens who preach to us all what our standards should be. Pickett should not lose his career over yet to be proven allegations.
I, for one, do not mind morality wardens articulating and explaining certain positions of interest to us all...
We can never stop learning...knowledge is power!
It's when they climb up on that soap box and start to preach and/or push certain agendas...That I begin to lose interest!
Just let Pickett have his day in Court...which he is totally entitled to...without reaching for the vocalised hanging rope!

Has he been committed to stand trial yet? Or is it still at the charges state ? I mean it is WA but they still got to get past a magistrate , and it was the pigs that asked for an adjournment

I, for one, do not mind morality wardens articulating and explaining certain positions of interest to us all...
We can never stop learning...knowledge is power!
It's when they climb up on that soap box and start to preach and/or push certain agendas...That I begin to lose interest!
Just let Pickett have his day in Court...which he is totally entitled to...without reaching for the vocalised hanging rope!
Great post.

For mine unfortunately morality wardens seldom climb down from their soap box, but the good thing is the more they articulate their position in different ways the more mistakes they make, and it's easier to pick apart and debunk.

Miss the good ol' days when TV scientists could use real eyeballs as props. :sadv1:

Australians of that era from the audience would have been madly competing to have their eyeball selected by the prof.

He would have given a few a judicious squeeze, perhaps hand-weighed a couple before finalising his selection. :thumbsu:

Saw Pickett in a photo at training today so unless he did a mad dash by plane after lunch then maybe it was just a video call? Or delayed again? Been looking online, no articles or info out atm
There is nothing about it…It was definitely a filing hearing today (19th Jan)…
Maybe the accused doesn’t have to appear yet, but it’s still weird…
Marlion’s lawyer David Manera said from the start, it’s circumstantial…
And if it wasn’t, Marlion would not be training in Vic…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back