No Oppo Supporters Marlion Pickett Arrested

Remove this Banner Ad

RICHMOND premiership player Marlion Pickett has been granted bail by a Perth magistrate after being charged over a string of alleged burglaries in which currency was stolen from safes.

Police remanded Pickett in custody on Sunday - a day after he played in the Tigers' 15-point win over Fremantle at Optus Stadium - alleging he was involved in commercial burglaries between December and January.

The 31-year-old appeared in the dock in Perth Magistrates Court on Monday, wearing a black sweatshirt.

He only spoke to confirm his name and was not required to enter pleas.

A police prosecutor told the court the alleged offending by Pickett and others involved a series of commercial burglaries resulting in the theft of more than $380,000 in Australian and foreign currencies from within safes.

Pickett is facing 12 charges including four counts of aggravated burglary, three counts of stealing and three counts of criminal damage.

Prosecutors opposed bail, saying there was a risk Pickett would reoffend if he was released.

Pickett's lawyer David Manera said the prosecution case rested largely on allegations deposits were made into his bank account by his co-offenders and that a camper-van rented in his name was driven interstate by the other men.

Magistrate Erin O'Donnell said the allegations were serious but she was confident Pickett did not present a significant flight risk.

She granted bail on the condition Pickett resides at his address in the Melbourne suburb of Reservoir, reports weekly to a local police station, does not interact with his alleged co-offenders and provides a $50,000 personal surety.

I'm just saying if that was the club stance I wouldn't be against it, but clearly they don't believe that.

I think the NRL do something similar called the no fault stand down. Players are stood down under the assumption of no fault until the outcome of their trial, for serious charges. Not sure what qualifies as a serious charge or not.

The AFL might one day follow suit with a similar policy?
NRL brought that in for the RAPE allegations

Any law experts in here? does the delay mean bad or good news for Pickett & Richmond?

Not an expert but I don’t think it means anything right now. Could have been adjourned for any number of reasons at the request of either party.

That's not actually true, and certainly not in our legal system. The verdict would be guilty or innocent if that was the case. The language used is very deliberate in our legal system.

A person found not guilty basically (legally) means there was not enough evidence to meet the standard of proof which is guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. Defence only needs to place enough doubt in mind for a jury to vote not guilty, which again does not make someone innocent.

The legal system does not prove, nor attempt to prove innocence. It proves guilt, or if guilt is not proven then the verdict is not of guilt, or not guilty.

Pickett's defence could literally and legally rock up to the court if it went to trial and say "prove it" and then sit down. The burden of proof is on the prosecution to prove guilt, it is not on the defence to prove innocence, therefore if the prosecution can't prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt, the verdict is not guilty - it does not morally prove innocence, that's the s**t that always sticks unfortunately and why it's unfortunate he finds himself in this situation.

I'll back the club on their decision either way, but it's not up for debate that not guilty doesn't automatically prove Marlion had no wrong doing at all in this case.
Australia is a party to seven core international human rights treaties. The presumption of innocence is contained in article 14(2) of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR). Therefore if you are not proven guilty then you are not guilty which means innocent according to the above human rights treaties

NRL brought that in for the RAPE allegations
So if we play Collingwood in next year’s grand final we should pay someone to accuse Darcy Moore of rape and force the AFL to stand him down? I actually believe that most allegations against player’s are probably true but there is no right or fair way to treat serious criminal allegations so best to leave it to the courts

I'm just saying if that was the club stance I wouldn't be against it, but clearly they don't believe that.

I think the NRL do something similar called the no fault stand down. Players are stood down under the assumption of no fault until the outcome of their trial, for serious charges. Not sure what qualifies as a serious charge or not.

The AFL might one day follow suit with a similar policy?
For Richmond players. A hasty meeting between Gil, the ump's and Steve Hocking, (who was advocating the guillotine).

the court date one day before the start of the season nothing to see here

as if they couldnt do it 2 weeks later ?

gill has some great contacts at perth magistrates court

afl will do anything to disrupt our season

Australia is a party to seven core international human rights treaties. The presumption of innocence is contained in article 14(2) of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR). Therefore if you are not proven guilty then you are not guilty which means innocent according to the above human rights treaties
That's not how it works, although it makes sense but legal semantics no one is ever proven innocent with a not guilty verdict.

That's not how it works, although it makes sense but legal semantics no one is ever proven innocent with a not guilty verdict.

FFS mate the accused is Innocent until proven guilty. If the verdict is not guilty you therefore remain…innocent.
We all know the court proceedings are not there to prove innocence but if you start the case as an innocent man your status is not changed unless proven guilty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if we play Collingwood in next year’s grand final we should pay someone to accuse Darcy Moore of rape and force the AFL to stand him down? I actually believe that most allegations against player’s are probably true but there is no right or fair way to treat serious criminal allegations so best to leave it to the courts
They aren't standing them down just on an allegation, needs to have been investigated to the degree that the police have decided to charge you

the court date one day before the start of the season nothing to see here

as if they couldnt do it 2 weeks later ?

gill has some great contacts at perth magistrates court

afl will do anything to disrupt our season
We should get dimma over as a character witness

We should get dimma over as a character witness
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Again there hasn’t been enough evidence for the magistrate to commit him to trial , if it was so cut and shut the pigs wouldnt be asking for extension after extension, are they trying to fabricate evidence? I know this is Australia and our cops are angels ……but
OIP.-oBygtwnCqoIVcR7YMn0_wHaJ4

They aren't standing them down just on an allegation, needs to have been investigated to the degree that the police have decided to charge you
I agree with you. But why then is the AFL integrity (two words that naturally go together) unit investigating that spud from North Melbourne?

Genius.
Then Marlion goes ahead and pleads not guilty and is found not guilty. It would really have raised the cubs standards to have pre-judged one of its own players who was later found to be innocent of breaking any law.

How about just let the case play out and allow him to be judged by the law. And then respond appropriately once that is done. If Marlion was considered a danger to anybody, he would not have been bailed. Whatever crimes any other co-accused has committed become irrelevant if Marlion is found not guilty. Dustin Martin's father was deported for links to a bikie gang and a criminal record. Dusty continued to associate with his father. Would sacking Dustin Martin have ensured the club's standards were raised? Would it have meant we didn't have players who were "mentally elsewhere?"

Your position on this is much like your position on most things - ******* stupid.

No.

Marlion was given the gift of opportunity after committing crimes, being jailed and believing that his opportunities were lost. Despite that, we gave him a chance, in a ******* GF no less. He is possibly the luckiest player in AFL history. A convicted criminal getting to debut in a winning GF. Ask all the players who played 200-300 games and never even played in a GF how lucky that campaigner was.

He shouldn't have even had that bloke in his ******* phone. Kurtley Thorne is a known grub. When he got given the opportunity he should have moved on. Marlion wrote a book about redemption. He knows the game.

The lead in to Rnd 1 will be the Marlion circus & the Dimma circus. Very little about Yze and the collection of blokes out there training their arse off to get this club back near the top.

Someone mentioned before the Cops are delaying the case. You could see that as a move of desperation to find more evidence, or, a vindictive way to humiliate him more. If he was found guilty now, the story would be incredibly small in comparison to how ******* big it will be on the eve of Round 1. WA police would love nothing more than being on the front pages across the country with Marlion cuffed up.

Club should have stood him down, with pay for all i care. Its not about the money, its about letting Yze set his own standards without the bullshit media chaos which stopped us building a certified dynasty. If he is guilty or not, i'm not a massive fan of Marlion. If i was a recovering drug addict & i was serious about staying clean - i wouldn't be keeping my dealer and drug buds in my phone. I'd move on. Malrion should have done the same and based on his book, he knows that.

Genius.

No.

Marlion was given the gift of opportunity after committing crimes, being jailed and believing that his opportunities were lost. Despite that, we gave him a chance, in a ******* GF no less. He is possibly the luckiest player in AFL history. A convicted criminal getting to debut in a winning GF. Ask all the players who played 200-300 games and never even played in a GF how lucky that campaigner was.

He shouldn't have even had that bloke in his ******* phone. Kurtley Thorne is a known grub. When he got given the opportunity he should have moved on. Marlion wrote a book about redemption. He knows the game.

The lead in to Rnd 1 will be the Marlion circus & the Dimma circus. Very little about Yze and the collection of blokes out there training their arse off to get this club back near the top.

Someone mentioned before the Cops are delaying the case. You could see that as a move of desperation to find more evidence, or, a vindictive way to humiliate him more. If he was found guilty now, the story would be incredibly small in comparison to how ******* big it will be on the eve of Round 1. WA police would love nothing more than being on the front pages across the country with Marlion cuffed up.

Club should have stood him down, with pay for all i care. Its not about the money, its about letting Yze set his own standards without the bullshit media chaos which stopped us building a certified dynasty. If he is guilty or not, i'm not a massive fan of Marlion. If i was a recovering drug addict & i was serious about staying clean - i wouldn't be keeping my dealer and drug buds in my phone. I'd move on. Malrion should have done the same and based on his book, he knows that.

You will no doubt be asking for a refund on his book now RJK. :tearsofjoy:

Marlion is going to be considered for selection like everybody else unless and until something changes. This is exactly how it should be.

Genius.

No.

Disagree club or any employer should stand a staff member down. Innocent until proven guilty. My view anyhow.

Disagree club or any employer should stand a staff member down. Innocent until proven guilty. My view anyhow.

Yes we will have to. Its worth noting - never said a bad thing about Marlion in my life prior to this. No personal malice in any of it. Just where my standards lie & a big believer of the club & the group always comes ahead of individuals. Since 2019, distractions have completely ****ed this club, which was why i was happy to see the back of Dimma, despite the success he brought. It's disappointing that Yze will have to start his tenure still having to clean up the messes of prior days.. Just want him & this group to have a fair go at moving forward.

FWIW i know people who have been stood down for far far less in the corporate worlds. We had one guy in a company i worked for just making inappropriate jokes on stage at a conference lose his job. Feel like Marlions situation was much worse, so perhaps my expectations are set from my experiences. FWIW too, i was happy to see that guy stood down for it as what he did was ******* stupid too. For me his guilt for the crimes he committed are amplified dramatically by the quality of person his co-offender his. Kurtley Thorne is not just a thief., he has pleaded guilty also to a long list of separate child sex abuse charges, including indecently recording a child under 13 years and the sexual penetration of a child of the same age in Bunbury and Carey Park. We are not talking about offences that were a decade ago, they happened between between March and April 2023. The lack of judgement he had to KEEP company with scum like Kurtley Thorne even after being given, quite literally, the biggest opportunity EVER in AFL history for a mature age player makes it hard to give him much benefit of the doubt, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Yes we will have to. Its worth noting - never said a bad thing about Marlion in my life prior to this. No personal malice in any of it. Just where my standards lie & a big believer of the club & the group always comes ahead of individuals. Since 2019, distractions have completely ****ed this club, which was why i was happy to see the back of Dimma, despite the success he brought. It's disappointing that Yze will have to start his tenure still having to clean up the messes of prior days.. Just want him & this group to have a fair go at moving forward.

FWIW i know people who have been stood down for far far less in the corporate worlds. We had one guy in a company i worked for just making inappropriate jokes on stage at a conference lose his job. Feel like Marlions situation was much worse, so perhaps my expectations are set from my experiences. FWIW too, i was happy to see that guy stood down for it as what he did was ******* stupid too. For me his guilt for the crimes he committed are amplified dramatically by the quality of person his co-offender his. Kurtley Thorne is not just a thief., he has pleaded guilty also to a long list of separate child sex abuse charges, including indecently recording a child under 13 years and the sexual penetration of a child of the same age in Bunbury and Carey Park. We are not talking about offences that were a decade ago, they happened between between March and April 2023. The lack of judgement he had to KEEP company with scum like Kurtley Thorne even after being given, quite literally, the biggest opportunity EVER in AFL history for a mature age player makes it hard to give him much benefit of the doubt, unfortunately.
I think you may be blowing out of proportion a bit. It's hardly a media circus. A report every now and again on the progress. Nobody is saying anything about the club, in fact the general consensus is that what Richmond has done is the fair thing to do.

The fact that he is available for selection will make no difference if he was stood down. The media will blow it up regardless if and when he is committed to stand trial.

How do you think the players would feel about it. He has been a solid citizen at Richmond, possibly more than that, a role model for people who have done it tough and succeeded. He is one of the best stories to come out of the league in years, is probably popular amongst the playing group, especially the indigenous boys and he is a father of 4 kids who want to see their dad doing what he is doing not sitting around doing nothing. I'm sure the players are behind the club in their support of a team mate.

We don't know much about what really happened, until we do then it is unfair to label him fricken stupid or whatever. We don't know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back