Mason Cox Expectations - 2017 And Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm wondering if this experiment has just about ran it's course.

Regularly dropping marks and often out of position with few possessions per game.

Can't keep riding off the coattails of the Richmond prelim.

The thing with him is he is not young. Often the commentators will say "once he learns the game". How long will this take? He will be retired in a few years

You think he'll retire at 30?

His body is in good shape with no real injury issues, and he won't get any shorter once he gets to 30.

Sandilands is still playing at 36 so I see no reason why he shouldn't have 4-6 seasons left after 2019.

Appleby is about a Plain Jane as you get i could think of 50 state league players that could offer more.

Go get Jake Kelly and Papley.

Not sure how Jake Kelly is anything other than Plain Jane either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His body is in good shape with no real injury issues, and he won't get any shorter once he gets to 30.

Sandilands is still playing at 36 so I see no reason why he shouldn't have 4-6 seasons left after 2019.
Generally players get worse (or are not as good) after 30 even if they are playing so you wouldn't think he would get better even if he was playing still

He had games last year where he was pretty dangerous. This year he has been nothing short of pathetic as a forward and looks clueless.

He's handy as a help for Grundy in the ruck but provides close to nothing as a forward so far this year.

Not a fan of his as he personifies that cocky American stereotype.

Regularly dropping marks and often out of position with few possessions per game.

Agree. Slow, hands like concrete, and weak as p!ss in marking contests. Spud. Will be 29yo old by the time next season rolls on. Club cant wait for him to turn good as it wont happen. Unfortunately they will likely persist with him which is one of the reasons why Collingwood will slide back down the ladder in the next few years (again).

looks like he had turned the corner into some regular good performances but may have faltered this year.

will he resume his good form well enough so that the next time an american plays afl, they won't be thought of as the first?

Last years prelim and the QB clash he dominated. And quiet a few other games he was competitive at least. However this year seems to be getting outworked in the contest. More experienced players are able work him under the footy.
Also has dropped a lot of marks this year. You can see how Tom Lynch would have been a massive get for the pies last year.

He might become more dangerous if the pies get Cameron but IMO the same reasons Moore struggled in their fwd line are the same reasons Cox isn’t impacting games and I don’t see the improvement of Cox as a fwd coming from him, I don’t think he has much more to give.
There needs to be another dangerous fwd to take defenders away from him.
You can see the improvement in Lynch with Riewoldt, they need something like that to if they want to use him as a goal kicking option.

He plays the same role Chol does for us. When on, he’s a better mark than Chol and more dangerous around goal. But I think Chol has more upside and Cox has peaked.

Would be a different player in the Richmond forward line playing third fiddle to Lynch and Jack no doubt.

Also need to loom at it, most AFL players have been doing it for 10 years plus before they even make it to the AFL.

By the time they are 28, they have been playing a sport heavy on contact for almost 20 years.

It wears the body down.

Cox doesn't have that issue as he largely didn't play heavy contact sports at all so his body hasn't taken as many heavy knocks. Skills aside, there is no reason Cox can't play for many, many years yet.

Who's going to replace him? It's all well and good to suggest he needs to be dropped (he has been poor), but there needs to be a better alternative. I don't see that player on the Collingwood list. Ultimately, his main role has always been about contests and spillages. It works when your best forwards are smaller players/undersized (as is the case at Collingwood), but there's been a significant drop off in the performances of those players too.

In terms of average goals, only Cox and Stephenson are surpassing last year's effort, and Stephenson is out for an extended period. There's been noticiable drop offs from Thomas and Hoskin-Elliot. Granted, there's more to the game than average goals, but Cox is just one amongst a dyfunctional forward line.

De Goey
: 2.29
2019: 2.12

Stephenson
: 1.46
2019: 1.75

Thomas
: 1.46
2019: 0.81

Hoskin-Elliot
: 1.62
2019: 0.92

Mihocek
: 1.81
2019: 1.44

Cox
: 1.04
2019: 1.38

Genuine liability when he isn’t clunking marks which seems to be regularly now.

Would have to imagine the Pies will look at finding a replacement for his role in the offseason.

I think his prelim final performance was simply a perfect storm scenario. Underdog Collingwood team not expected to challenge the Tigers at all. Rance, Grimes etc focusing more on the other dangerous forwards leading to Cox being allowed to run and jump at heaps of kicks inside 50 due to Collingwood midfield dominance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back