Ben Keays on Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 3, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Talk is he will cop a fine for ripping Cox's goggles off.

I think it should be a game.

It's a medical apparatus and I think there should be 1 game minimums for this sort of thing.

Pulling hair, yanking a headband yeak ok a fine.

But I reckon this is another level. I know some young fellas who dropped the sport because of failing vision and were too embarrassed by having to wear goggles. Mason normalising it is a good thing for young kids.

Maybe I'm sensitive to it and I'm happy to wear the criticism but I think if we saw someone hitting a bloke on an injury or trying to stuff around with a brace or facemask etc we would be pretty livid.

Anyway, reckon it should be a week but know it'll just be a fine.

It’s not clear enough that it was deliberate to me. It should’ve been a free kick but no suspension. Didn’t get paid but the dubious downfield to Daicos late evened that out.

If he did it on purpose I agree with a week but I really think the motion was very quick and in a cluster so very hard to establish what his intention was.

I've had this chat on the Crows board too and I'm learning that probably a lot of my response to this is about the optics to young people at home watching rather than the damage to Mason etc.

E.g. a kid thinks it's funny what happened so they rip goggles off the next kid they see. Or those that need them think geez I dont want to be humiliated like that.

We had a couple of kids drop off from our local footy club because their vision was going and it's a bit heartbreaking. Another poster on our board made the point that those kids need a bit more resilience and that's spot on but kids are very self-aware and impressionable (hence rise of influencers). We need more juniors in the game and they shouldn't be sitting out because we tolerate non-footballing acts that can be humiliating.

I think the AFL has a role to play in leading the way as juniors see them as their 'influencer' in sport.

But also aware there will be many differing opinions, I'm happy to wear the criticism, I cop some at my club and I love that, we can all have a say. Thought I'd see what broader BigFooty thought, thanks to all who have joined in the conversation.

Hard to determine whether it was purposeful or not. Perhaps a fine.

The issue as the OP stated is that it's a medical apparatus to protect him from further serious eye injuries that could have lifelong implications.

I've read some strange commentary on other boards about it being fair game - no different to testing out any other injury. That's just absolutely absurd. You don't test out someone's eye injury where there is potential for permanent disability as serious as blindness in that eye. Staggering comments.

Hard to determine whether it was purposeful or not. Perhaps a fine.

The issue as the OP stated is that it's a medical apparatus to protect him from further serious eye injuries that could have lifelong implications.

I've read some strange commentary on other boards about it being fair game - no different to testing out any other injury. That's just absolutely absurd. You don't test out someone's eye injury where there is potential for permanent disability as serious as blindness in that eye. Staggering comments.

Great point, there is such a clear distinction between a bloke being a bit banged up and sore and choosing to play through it (whereas they have the option to rest and their, for example, shoulders will be fine again) and players going hard at him versus someone carrying a legitimate and serious condition and it being targeted. Bit odd that some find it acceptable but hey, we all have a different version of where 'the line' is I guess.

Great point, there is such a clear distinction between a bloke being a bit banged up and sore and choosing to play through it (whereas they have the option to rest and their, for example, shoulders will be fine again) and players going hard at him versus someone carrying a legitimate and serious condition and it being targeted. Bit odd that some find it acceptable but hey, we all have a different version of where 'the line' is I guess.
Not only that, to test out someone's eye would involve removing their protection equipment, and stick your fingers in his eye on purpose which is a serious offence. Beyond stupid.

It was deliberate, and hilarious, loved it!!

But bad look, therefore fine is warranted

Pretty much will be fined but it's Keays being a cheeky bugger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see Ben Keays suspended for this as we're crying out for a bit more polish in that area, and Nicks is reluctant to drop anyone from our losing but good vibes team.

I've had this chat on the Crows board too and I'm learning that probably a lot of my response to this is about the optics to young people at home watching rather than the damage to Mason etc.

E.g. a kid thinks it's funny what happened so they rip goggles off the next kid they see. Or those that need them think geez I dont want to be humiliated like that.

We had a couple of kids drop off from our local footy club because their vision was going and it's a bit heartbreaking. Another poster on our board made the point that those kids need a bit more resilience and that's spot on but kids are very self-aware and impressionable (hence rise of influencers). We need more juniors in the game and they shouldn't be sitting out because we tolerate non-footballing acts that can be humiliating.

I think the AFL has a role to play in leading the way as juniors see them as their 'influencer' in sport.

But also aware there will be many differing opinions, I'm happy to wear the criticism, I cop some at my club and I love that, we can all have a say. Thought I'd see what broader BigFooty thought, thanks to all who have joined in the conversation.
the world would be a better place if more people thought like you and had the guts to say it, cheers

(im deaf, and you would not believe the things people have said/laughed at to my face!! so i really appreciate your view)

I'm happy he got a big fine.

Didn't look intentional to me - If it was intentional, I don't think a week would've have been untoward - as it is a fine makes sense

It's a shame I was at the opposite end of the ground and I didn't notice him take the goggles off at the time

There was a Pies fan behind me who started going off at that point calling someone a 'dirty dog' and that someone needed to 'belt him off the park' which I thought was over the top (and also ironically hypocritical?) - maybe they noticed the glasses been taken off, i dunno?

On a side note, the 'U S A' chant is cringe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back