Player Watch Mason Cox

Black_White

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2001
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again.
If Cox is fit, Buckley will never pick Reid over him.
Never.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Timmy from Thomastown

TheBrownDog
May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again.
If Cox is fit, Buckley will never pick Reid over him.
Never.
No but picking him alongside him is still a possibility. I wont write Reid off and he is not writing himself either. Ben Reid has the perfect attitude for a Collingwood player.

Markfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Margot Robbie's Shaving Team...
Personally I think sending Reid forward has done his career no good at all. If he was playing as a defender these past few years he'd probably still be getting a game and we wouldnt have needed to recruit Roughead.

It would have helped if he was playing these past few years

Cyclops

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 25, 2001
Northern Suburbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
IOM Gyms, Preston Nth End
Absolutely. That said, hes been mostly fit in 2018 and 2019.
I think he's a shell of his former self. He was never bulky but he had an elastic strength that made him effective as a defender. To my admittedly inexpert eye thats gone, he barely competes physically and takes his marks and wins contests with his excellent hands and footy brain. He's still a very good kick too.

I'm not saying he squibs it, i mean exactly the opposite. I think his long term injuries mean he literally can't smash into packs anymore, and just by being out their he's taking punishment his body can't deal with. If he could compete body on body he'd be our best defender by a street. Now he's just a worrying medium forward who doesn't crash packs.

Markfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Margot Robbie's Shaving Team...
I think he's a shell of his former self. He was never bulky but he had an elastic strength that made him effective as a defender. To my admittedly inexpert eye thats gone, he barely competes physically and takes his marks and wins contests with his excellent hands and footy brain. He's still a very good kick too.

I'm not saying he squibs it, i mean exactly the opposite. I think his long term injuries mean he literally can't smash into packs anymore, and just by being out their he's taking punishment his body can't deal with. If he could compete body on body he'd be our best defender by a street. Now he's just a worrying medium forward who doesn't crash packs.
I think you're right. I think he made a noticeable attempt to be more physical in the VFL game... at least early on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aishole

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
People consistently bringing up Reids move forward as if it was a mistake... like he is some godsend FB that would have solved all our KP problems.

Do you not remember his last few outings at CHB? He was poor. Our defence as a unit was borderline Dysfunctional also. Now i am not putting that dysfunctional all on Reid... but he was a key component of a barely competent defensive unit. The fact our defence had been rock solid without him surely counts against him in coaches eyes.

My last memories of Reid at CHB are one of a player whose body looked shot, he was a step behind his opponent consistently... he always went to ground in crucial contests. He Had lost his Intercept prowess, and his left footed 50m laser beams across the ground were non-existent.

He was completely done as a defender. Completely done. It was so frustrating watching him in his last time spent down there. There is not a chance on earth Reid would perform better then Roughead is now.

ride56

Enforcer
Dec 14, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Personally I think sending Reid forward has done his career no good at all. If he was playing as a defender these past few years he'd probably still be getting a game and we wouldnt have needed to recruit Roughead.
Oh so it's nothing to do with the injuries then

Dynamics

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2007
Cane toads and faded curtains.
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Fit for selection or not, I don't think Reidy's been physically capable of playing a defensive role to the level Roughy has this year.

At his peak, he was undoubtedly a better defender than a forward, with his leap, lovely field kicking and reading of the play. He was brilliant. But his body just doesn't quite let him play the way he used to.

That's the reason he never gets a game in the backline over Roughead in 2019.

Doc1763

All Australian
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just watched the last quarter again. Cox was definitely limping at the end. Good thing we have the week off, hopefully he'll be right for the Bulldogs.

Leviathan Pie

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Started slowly, but worked into the game nicely.

Will need a few weeks, no doubt.

jackcass

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thought Cox was limping in the last quarter, and I was worried about his ankle. But now that I’ve seen his big toe (which can never be unseen), I think we have the explanation.
Can't believe the club doesn't have a chiropodist on the books, damaged big toe aside, his feet are a disgrace.

Top Bottom