Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

That silvagni thing is his greatest weakness as i see it....in the ruck....in marking situations..... its bewildering how a bloke as big as that can be eased off the ball so easily...and after 7 years or something, he hasn't learnt how to adjust. Those silvagni displays floored me to be honest. He should have made silvagni look pathetic and it was the reverse...

That silvagni thing is his greatest weakness as i see it....in the ruck....in marking situations..... its bewildering how a bloke as big as that can be eased off the ball so easily...and after 7 years or something, he hasn't learnt how to adjust. Those silvagni displays floored me to be honest. He should have made silvagni look pathetic and it was the reverse...
He's tall but he's lean so blokes with a lower centre of gravity that have footy nous can easily work him off the ball

He's tall but he's lean so blokes with a lower centre of gravity that have footy nous can easily work him off the ball

it doesn't explain it all. He's a lot heavier than silvagni. He doesn't lean into it. He doesnt make the first contact.

it affects his whole game. He has to be free of body contact to be effective. in the ruck. in marking. he did all his work away from the 50 metre area. honestly, i'm bored discussin him because he will be back in a hole in a week or two weeks.

Cox was the 2nd ruck behind Cameron. He had 11 hitouts, 1 goal and impacted with contested marks around the ground. There is an argument that such were the importance of those marks that without them we may not have gotten over the line against Carlton. That's pretty much all you can ask from your second ruck.

When you run away from your original claim "that cox was a GOOD ruck" the words you use are "I was wrong"

When you run away from your original claim "that cox was a GOOD ruck" the words you use are "I was wrong"

Cox is a good ruck. Do you reckon capitalising your words lends them more weight?

The stats they give you are ruck contests attended v hit outs won. I am not sure if they have a category for draws
All I know is it’s impossible for Cox to have lost 22 hit outs when Carlton only got 19 all up. And that’s not taking into account Cameron who only won around 50 percent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silvagni has done it repeatedly against all ruckman this year. He is far stronger than he looks and uses his body beautifully. He seems to have enormous power in those hips and legs. I though Cox held his ground well in most contests and did some lovely work to our advantage.

Silvagni has done it repeatedly against all ruckman this year. He is far stronger than he looks and uses his body beautifully. He seems to have enormous power in those hips and legs. I though Cox held his ground well in most contests and did some lovely work to our advantage.

i dont discount silvagni's abilities. I doubt he has more power than cox, but he knows how to use his body. You either sit there and just accept that silvagni is going to move cox out of the way, just as the backmen do with cox, or you do something about it. I've been watching cox for 6 or 7 years and i dont think he has improved 0.5% in this area. But he should play for the rest of the year.

i dont discount silvagni's abilities. I doubt he has more power than cox, but he knows how to use his body. You either sit there and just accept that silvagni is going to move cox out of the way, just as the backmen do with cox, or you do something about it. I've been watching cox for 6 or 7 years and i dont think he has improved 0.5% in this area. But he should play for the rest of the year.
Throw the man a crumb. He was excellent on Sunday. He took four contested marks and had a real presence in a number of contests. He laid four tackles.

it doesn't explain it all. He's a lot heavier than silvagni. He doesn't lean into it. He doesnt make the first contact.

it affects his whole game. He has to be free of body contact to be effective. in the ruck. in marking. he did all his work away from the 50 metre area. honestly, i'm bored discussin him because he will be back in a hole in a week or two weeks.
Having rucked against shorter guys 30+ kg heavier than me, unless you bend the knees and brace for contact you go flying. Centre of gravity is a big thing, all Silvagni (or others) have to do is time their body contact right and he's out of the argument.

Having said that, he played a great game. Begg has had a taste and did well in the VFL on the weekend, so the balance is between Begg's development and winning games. We'll win more games with Cox in the team than Begg at the moment.

Throw the man a crumb. He was excellent on Sunday. He took four contested marks and had a real presence in a number of contests. He laid four tackles.

domie, ok. i just watched 10 minutes of the first quarter when cox was rucking and he beat the blonde kid ....so he might be ok against young inexperienced ruckmen....

so there's a crumb

As an opposition supporter, I think Mason Cox being successful is good for footy.
Mason seems like a nice guy and at least has a personality. He will probably dominate
against us Hawks this weekend.

Good luck to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back