Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Having rucked against shorter guys 30+ kg heavier than me, unless you bend the knees and brace for contact you go flying. Centre of gravity is a big thing, all Silvagni (or others) have to do is time their body contact right and he's out of the argument.

Having said that, he played a great game. Begg has had a taste and did well in the VFL on the weekend, so the balance is between Begg's development and winning games. We'll win more games with Cox in the team than Begg at the moment.

you rucked against shorter guys 30kg heavier?

but i take your point and I said it earlier that Cox needs to lean into him or engage him. If he just stands there, of course he'll get leveraged out of the contest

As an opposition supporter, I think Mason Cox being successful is good for footy.
Mason seems like a nice guy and at least has a personality. He will probably dominate
against us Hawks this weekend.

Good luck to him.

well i think sicily retiring from footy would be good for footy but i understand if the hawks dont do it....

Cox is a good ruck. Do you reckon capitalising your words lends them more weight?

He is NOT.

Good rucks are good ruck work. Cox is not.

Notice your argument was shifting away from Co's actual ability to ruck to other things.

To make your argument you would have to address his actual ruck work. which you have not.

domie, ok. i just watched 10 minutes of the first quarter when cox was rucking and he beat the blonde kid ....so he might be ok against young inexperienced ruckmen....

so there's a crumb

Go back and watch again,. that is not accurate.

Cox tapping straight to Calrton mids who waltz out of the centre unconested is NOT winingthe ruck or beating anyone.

He is NOT.

Notice your argument was shifting away from Co's actual ability to ruck to other things.

To make your argument you would have to address his actual ruck work. which you have not.

I did if you care to go back and re-read my posts. I haven't shifted my argument at all. Cox wins hitouts and those hitouts aren't any more or less effective than most rucks. The ruck contest is only one aspect of a rucks game, and Cox is good at it. He's also a good contested mark around the ground and he hits the scoreboard. That's also a measure of a good ruck even if it's convenient for your argument to ignore it.

Cox did well, especially his contested marking. Not sold on the value of his ruck work yet.
Hopefully he continues his form against Hawthorn who will no doubt try to curb his influence.

Go back and watch again,. that is not accurate.

Cox tapping straight to Calrton mids who waltz out of the centre unconested is NOT winingthe ruck or beating anyone.

i dont disagree. we lost a lot of centre clearances and the ruckman tapping the ball had no effect. Cox did better against the kid...and he does better getting his hand on the ball in the centre where he isnt outbodied......the part that i watched in the first quarter, cox did better than the kid....he also takes marks when he isnt outbodied....i see that he was awarded contested marks. A lot of those on the wing involved him jumping up without an opponent....I dunno, i'm bored sick of the whole thing. Personally, I think he's too old to learn new tricks. He'll have games when he does well and melb was one of them.

Its all relative with Coxy, and that was his best game in two (?) years. At one point I was so carried away by his good performance that I told my mate he was BOG.

I calmed down a bit after that, but importantly he delivered when we needed him to on Sunday. And as others have noted, Begg would not have been as effective. His time will come, but in the absence of Grundy we need Coxy.

Cameron is playing very well too, and I’ve been a critic in the past.

Cox tapping straight to Calrton mids who waltz out of the centre unconested is NOT wining the ruck or beating anyone.
Without being too pedantic, he is actually winning in those instances.
Frustratingly he’s not hitting it to our advantage.

He is NOT.

Played a very good game on the weekend, but yes the part timers were pushing him around. I wasn't surprised that Cripps was, but SOJ?

He seemed to get frustrated at the midfield on quite a few occasions, I think it was the midfield that weren't getting to the right spots
He also adjusted for it and started getting the ball to the outside of the contest where we had an advantage increasingly as the game wore on. Evidence of a smart player (or at least not a stone cold dumb one)

Played a very good game on the weekend, but yes the part timers were pushing him around. I wasn't surprised that Cripps was, but SOJ?
My belief is that Cox is letting it appear that he is easily pushed around by lesser lights but still winning the ruck contest. Then, against the first real ruckman he meets, he will cunningly change his tactics, avoiding being bounced out of contests, legs splayed astride like a colossus claiming territory and supremacy against the best in the competition.

Between he and Cameron, they'll have sewn up the 2 ruck spots, when the time comes for Grundy to swap his beenie, glasses and seat next to Roughead in the grandstand for his footballers costume and possibly a VFL reintroduction to the game. We'll be in the stands screaming 'Suck more Cox! at the opposition fans. He will be a cult hero, and Cameron will be a fixture with his marking and grunt.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My belief is that Cox is letting it appear that he is easily pushed around by lesser lights but still winning the ruck contest. Then, against the first real ruckman he meets, he will cunningly change his tactics, avoiding being bounced out of contests, legs splayed astride like a colossus claiming territory and supremacy against the best in the competition.

Between he and Cameron, they'll have sewn up the 2 ruck spots, when the time comes for Grundy to swap his beenie, glasses and seat next to Roughead in the grandstand for his footballers costume and possibly a VFL reintroduction to the game. We'll be in the stands screaming 'Suck more Cox! at the opposition fans. He will be a cult hero, and Cameron will be a fixture with his marking and grunt.
Cox reminds me of a young Tony Lockett. He'll force Grundy into a future of poetry slams.

Cox reminds me of a young Tony Lockett. He'll force Grundy into a future of poetry slams.
Cox may well have hidden talents as a wordsmith too. He is articulate and American, what more could you want in a poet!

Admittedly Grundy's general demeanour and the odd nod to bohemian tradition in his appearance more readily suggest him as a modern day Ginsberg, but I wouldn't totally discount Cox before exploring the hidden depths within that man. He may be more than capable of pulling yet another talent out of that bountiful hat.

I think he's an okay ruck in terms of actual ruck contests. However, I think he's really poor when the ball hits the deck compared to some other ruckmen (especially Grundy). His tackling and clearances have never been strengths

If Grundy is your benchmark then not too many will ever measure up.

Yet Cameron won 54.17% of his ruck contests, Cox 34.37%. Not sure of the relevance to TOG

Good on Cameron. The 2nd time this year he’s achieved >50% and 2022 has him on a career high of 38.8%. He even managed >60% on a couple of occasions last year.

Of course Coxy’s 2022 average (35.6%) and his 2016 average (38.3%) are the only 2 seasons he’s ever been below a 40% average, a career high of 69.4% in the 2020 season.

But those weekend stats are certainly important to the discussion. Thanks for contributing.

Last edited:
He is NOT.

I almost felt your foot being stamped….

Remove this Banner Ad

Back