Player Watch Mason Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched that clip multiple times after the game without having heard the preamble. It never occurred to me that Cox was alleged to have taken GWS’ ball, and even looking at it now, it seems a major reach to have drawn that conclusion.
Giants have no one. Their ‘rivalry’ with Sydney is a few year old ‘contrived’ across town thing. Them and other sides will gladly jump on our coat tails for a free ride to fame. Media always pump s**t up and triple that when the Pies are involved.
At least the Melbourne/Bruzzy thing has a long storied history going back a century. Same for Carlton and Richmond et al.

Giants have no one. Their ‘rivalry’ with Sydney is a few year old ‘contrived’ across town thing. Them and other sides will gladly jump on our coat tails for a free ride to fame. Media always pump s**t up and triple that when the Pies are involved.
At least the Melbourne/Bruzzy thing has a long storied history going back a century. Same for Carlton and Richmond et al.
Yep. Our biggest rival is whoever we are playing next week. Then it’s quickly forgotten and we move on.

Yeah I watched the footage a few times and noticed there was a Collingwood coach standing in the middle. I figured Cox was finishing up his drills when GWS came walking into the centre. So basically GWS is at fault not us and Cox.

Yeah I watched the footage a few times and noticed there was a Collingwood coach standing in the middle. I figured Cox was finishing up his drills when GWS came walking into the centre. So basically GWS is at fault not us and Cox.
When you see the whole footage, it gives you a completely different perspective of what actually happened.

Would be hilarious if Giants copped a warning instead.

Where's this full footage. Hope Brett Daniels watches it.
I can't find it now. I'll keep looking. But you can see the Pie trainer holding the Pie tackle bag out in the centre, so clearly Coxy was still going through his routine. I'm sure Coxy & the club will be showing the full footage for his 'please explain'.

He didn't have a lot to say, people in Australia are just super sensitive to banter.

We're desperate for personalities in the sport, then when we have someone showing their personality we demonize them, give me a break.
I like this new Kappa reborn :). Totally agree with you.

The Collingwood Football Club confirms it has received a notice from the AFL requesting further information relating to contact made by player Mason Cox to a Giants official during the pre-game period of its Opening Round match against the GWS Giants.

The Club responded to the AFL a short time ago.

In its response, the Club states its two rucks were completing their pre-game centre-bounce practice in its prescribed window before the GWS midfield players and officials arrived to commence their period of centre-bounce work.

During this period of transition, Mason had requested the AFL umpire to bounce the ball once more to finalise his preparation.

The umpire bounced the ball with Mason’s run-up coinciding with GWS moving into the centre circle area. Mason elected to complete the drill, making contact with a Giants official.

GM Football Brendon Bolton said:

“We have reviewed the situation and it is clear it was a period of transition in the centre circle – our rucks were completing their centre bounce practice as the GWS midfield arrived to commence their centre-circle work.

“Mason has acknowledged that making contact with opposition officials or players pre-game should be avoided and with our Club’s support, will be more aware in future.”

Mason Cox said:

“I apologise for the incident in our pre-game where I made contact with a GWS official.

“In the moment, I was solely focussed on getting one more bounce in – in hindsight, I should have stopped my run-up rather than completing the drill.”

The AFL are working through the situation over the coming day and the league and Club will provide a further update once this work is complete.

The Collingwood Football Club confirms it has received a notice from the AFL requesting further information relating to contact made by player Mason Cox to a Giants official during the pre-game period of its Opening Round match against the GWS Giants.

In its response, the Club states its two rucks were completing their pre-game centre-bounce practice in its prescribed window before the GWS midfield players and officials arrived to commence their period of centre-bounce work.

During this period of transition, Mason had requested the AFL umpire to bounce the ball once more to finalise his preparation.

The umpire bounced the ball with Mason’s run-up coinciding with GWS moving into the centre circle area. Mason elected to complete the drill, making contact with a Giants official.

“We have reviewed the situation and it is clear it was a period of transition in the centre circle – our rucks were completing their centre bounce practice as the GWS midfield arrived to commence their centre-circle work.

“Mason has acknowledged that making contact with opposition officials or players pre-game should be avoided and with our Club’s support, will be more aware in future.”

Mason Cox said:

“I apologise for the incident in our pre-game where I made contact with a GWS official.

“In the moment, I was solely focussed on getting one more bounce in – in hindsight, I should have stopped my run-up rather than completing the drill.”

The AFL are working through the situation over the coming day and the league and Club will provide a further update once this work is complete.

So it was really the umpires fault. 😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you referring to me?

I’m not a Cox hater at all. I like him, he just plays some horrendous games at times.
He has some poor/quiet games. They are branded horrendous because he is nigh on 7 feet tall and stands out. When things are not working he looks awkward and out of place. There are plenty of ruckmen, small and tall forwards who have low impact, low possession games without the tsunami of negativity which comes Coxy's way when he does.

I look forward to you applying this same line of logic to his positional threats in the team that you so constantly and willingly denigrate, Domicile.
Who did I denigrate? AJ is the only player I have criticized on a regular basis but I have never called him useless or embarrasing or pathetic or putrid.

Mason Cox said:

Well, that confirms it, six week suspension on its way for Mason.

The vision always made me think this was entirely the fault of GWS and now they've simply milked it for all it's worth to add some sort of relevance to their irrelevance.

Will be very surprised if it's anything more than a don't do it again.

The vision always made me think this was entirely the fault of GWS and now they've simply milked it for all it's worth to add some sort of relevance to their irrelevance.

Will be very surprised if it's anything more than a don't do it again.
The commentators & media jumped all over it, seeing something that wasn't there. And as expected, Giants jumped on the bandwagon for some more free publicity to pump up their imaginary rivalry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back