Matthew Bate or Danny Meyer

Remove this Banner Ad

The Clokes

Club Legend
Feb 19, 2003
AFL Club
Collingwood
i think collingwood will pick one of these 2 players with its #10 pick

for me its Matthew Bate. I think collingwood can turn him into the ruck rover we really need.

what do you think?

Tell us more, not everybody is an expert on the kids
Also what happened to Eckermann? He seems to have dropped off the radar?
And Monfries - is he certain to be already gone bypick 10?

Meyer is my choise. Has the legs speed, good skills and can run all day. Would be a good choise. Word is we have flown him over from Adelaide for draft day.

Bate would be ok, but is not exactly the player we need. Won the Morrish Medal (best TAC player), and can find the ball, but we aren't in despirite need of him right now.

I think you guys will get Monfries. It looks kike the dogs will take Griffinn and a KPP with their picks and next 3 choices likely to be ruckman. So Monfries could slip through to ten.

I wouldn't say the mould of Pavlich for Bate. Pavlich has a much stronger body than Bate is ever likely to have, and probably a little more pace. However, Bate has a better mind for the game and nose for the ball when playing midfield than Pavlich does. In his ability to switch between quasi-key positions and midfield, I'd liken him to a slightly poor-man's James Hird. He really can be moved around the ground and be effective wherever he's moved to. Bate's not like a Pavlich, who can play multiple positions well, but has to be given one solid position to play for maybe not even one week, but multiple weeks at a time to allow him to adjust properly. Bate, like Hird, can play multiple positions a game, all effectively. I was convinced watching the TAC Cup GF, where he played as a marking forward in the 1st quarter, and kicked a couple of goals from around the 50m mark. Then in the 2nd quarter, Bate moved into the midfield and must have racked 10 or 12 possessions in that quarter. Serious versatility on that guy, to the point where whichever position he's playing, he makes it look like that's his natural position.

That said, as a midfielder, he doesn't have the leg speed we're looking for, but Meyer sure does. I honestly see a lot of Buckley in Meyer: except for the body. If Buckley weighed 10 kilos less than he does, he'd probably be a lot like Meyer will end up being. However, Meyer has silky skills, his set shot kicking from 40m and inwards is absolutely automatic, his kicking from outside there is still quite good, and with his strong legs, he can thump the ball at least 55-60m on the run. Also, his pace is good, possibly a bit faster than Bucks on the sprint, although Bucks has always been faster than we realise, it's just that he's so composed and likes to move the ball by kicking that we don't see him sprint much. His endurance is also fantastic to go with that. I remember watching a game he played in that was quite close, and by the end, he looked like he was running rings around the other guys, who were mostly tired.

Basically, Bate is like a poor-man's Hird, while Meyer is like a poor-man's Buckley, in my opinion, if you wanted a simple comparison. And by saying their poor-man's versions of those guys, that isn't to say they couldn't be as good as those guys, but it's just to not place unfair expectations on them.

But these two are definitely the two guys I like most in the draft. Either one and I'd be ecstatic.

Eckerman I could live with, but Monfries doesn't excite me as much, he's not real big, or real fast, or real strong. Seems like a Nick Stevens type from what I've seen and heard, which, while all good, I'd prefer to go with someone a bit tougher, and a bit faster.

The rumour around the traps is that Collingwood are taking Bate but would take Monfries if still available.

I know a couple of the coaches at the Ranges who think Bates best possie might be a halfback flank. And having seen him playing in defence the first half of the year, he did remind me of a young Guy McKenna. Having said that I think we need a player who can do some damage forward of center, so its Eckermann the Schammer clone, or Meyer who will help us all forget Nick Davis.

vinnie_vegas69 said:
Basically, Bate is like a poor-man's Hird, while Meyer is like a poor-man's Buckley, in my opinion, if you wanted a simple comparison..

I'd prefer the Hird clone, we need a taller runner who can play third tall forward or even key position and kick goals

Personally I think we should concentrate on a genuine midfielder and one that I like is Meyer. Has all the attributes with the only con being he is a crow eater. If its a line ball call would not be suprised to see Bate taken over him because he is a local.

But Meyer still appeals to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

vinnie_vegas69 said:
I wouldn't say the mould of Pavlich for Bate.

However, Bate has a better mind for the game and nose for the ball when playing midfield than Pavlich does. In his ability to switch between quasi-key positions and midfield, He really can be moved around the ground and be effective wherever he's moved to. Bate, like Hird, can play multiple positions a game, all effectively. I was convinced watching the TAC Cup GF, where he played as a marking forward in the 1st quarter, and kicked a couple of goals from around the 50m mark. Then in the 2nd quarter, Bate moved into the midfield and must have racked 10 or 12 possessions in that quarter. Serious versatility on that guy, to the point where whichever position he's playing, he makes it look like that's his natural position.

Sounds very much like Pavlich to me.

Except of course Bate is 17 and not yet fully developed where Pavlich is 23 and at the top of his game.
So naturally their bodies at this point in time will be different - but I asumed people would understand that.

Murray said:
Sounds very much like Pavlich to me.

Except of course Bate is 17 and not yet fully developed where Pavlich is 23 and at the top of his game.
So naturally their bodies at this point in time will be different - but I asumed people would understand that.

See, I disagree with that, I don't think Pavlich is capable of playing more than one position quite effectively within the same game. I end up watching a lot of Freo games, because they're usually on Sunday afternoons on Fox Footy when I've got nothing to do, and so I know Pavlich pretty well, and I haven't seen him hold down one position, and then be moved to another, and perform well in that one too.

In his career he has played different positions well, making the AA team as a Full Back in 2002 and as a Half Forward Flank in 2003, but I don't think he has the ability to switch at will like Bate can.

Also, my comment about body strength was not age related, Bate is just lankier than Pavlich, and doesn't have the thick trunk that Pavlich does. He most likely won't get to Pavlich's strength no matter how much weight training he does.

vinnie_vegas69 said:
See, I disagree with that, I don't think Pavlich is capable of playing more than one position quite effectively within the same game. I end up watching a lot of Freo games, because they're usually on Sunday afternoons on Fox Footy when I've got nothing to do, and so I know Pavlich pretty well, and I haven't seen him hold down one position, and then be moved to another, and perform well in that one too.

In his career he has played different positions well, making the AA team as a Full Back in 2002 and as a Half Forward Flank in 2003, but I don't think he has the ability to switch at will like Bate can.

Also, my comment about body strength was not age related, Bate is just lankier than Pavlich, and doesn't have the thick trunk that Pavlich does. He most likely won't get to Pavlich's strength no matter how much weight training he does.

Yep all fair points.

I remember Pavlich playing some sensational games at CHF. One of them against us at the Dome.
I've seen him destroy FF's when he played at FB.
Over the last couple of years he has played on the ball to great effect.

As for Bate, I admit I have only seen him play twice.
It was more the way he moved through the middle and the way he knew where to put himself that remined me of Pavlich.

Interestingly it seems (source SEN) we are really keen to take Bate or Jordan Russell and will take either of them if they are still there at pick 10.
Carlton may take Russell.

I would be happy with either of them or my other favorite Jordan Lewis

I'm leaning towards Bate with his versatility and potential to be a pinch hitter at either end and possibly develop into a midfielder ala Ling or Pavlich.

We desperately need someone who has the potential to be a top line midfielder, the rest available around that pick seem to sound very much like classy flankers and wingers to me.

Monfries probably my next choice if available then Meyer.

hotpie said:
Tell us more, not everybody is an expert on the kids
Also what happened to Eckermann? He seems to have dropped off the radar?
And Monfries - is he certain to be already gone bypick 10?

The afl.com.au guy reckons Monfries will go at about 15-17. I can't believe that. I would have thought he'd be gone by then. Matthew Bate sounds pretty good though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back