Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

That's my knock on him GC - he seems to lack intensity at this stage. Whether that holds him back or not is another matter, many great players are quite laconic. But just as I feel about Broomy, I'd love to see him hunt and dive into more contests and work harder bw them.
That's my perception from the outside.
It's hard to know but you would expect a lot of that relates to the need to build some confidence back. He has had big injuries and missed a lot of footy. Can't expect him to transition immediately. I would assume he will develop that intensity with time. Biggest question is how much development has been lost through lack of footy. I really think people shouldn't worry if he doesn't play senior footy early on. If he breaks through great but slower progress is more realistic.

Over time we will find out where he sits in the pecking order of Howe, Sinclair, Maynard, Ramsay, Smith, Oxley, and Goldsack which is the group he will be competing with for places.

Sharenberg has got the one thing that you can't train for or teach - good instinics and decision making.
Hammer, nail, whack!

Hi guys agree with some of the comments on Shaz. I think for him it will be 100 percent mental issues. If he can get over it he will be a gun! Top 5 player in our team.
Personally i will draw very little from the preseason matches they dont mean anything apart from having a look at some of our youngsters and how they are developing.
Last year we got all excited over our 3 wins in the preseason and had Gault and Witts as our next big things. Both were in the round 1 team that got pumped by Sydney.
Hopefully our coaching panel and supporters can see preseason games for what they are. Hopefully not fall for the same trap as last year .
Would like to see players like Reid Pendels Adams Grundy and a few others reasted for the first game or 2 in the preseason give the kids a game, and play them possibly just in the last game.Similar to what clubs like Sydney and Hawthorn do.
Especially against Essendon this week would like to see our secondary options in the ruck without Grundy.Same with our backline rest Reid.
Same with our forward line rest Moore. Also in our midreild give Pendels Adams Treloar a roster day off.

Last edited:
Hi guys agree with some of the comments on Shaz. I think for him it will be 100 percent mental issues. If he can get over it he will be a gun! Top 5 player in our team.
Personally i will draw very little from the preseason matches they dont mean anything apart from having a look at some of our youngsters and how they are developing.
Last year we got all excited over our 3 wins in the preseason and had Gault and Witts as our next big things. Both were in the round 1 team that got pumped by Sydney.
Hopefully our coaching panel and supporters can see preseason games for what they are. Hopefully not fall for the same trap as last year .
Would like to see players like Reid Pendels Adams Grundy and a few others reasted for the first game or 2 in the preseason give the kids a game, and play them possibly just in the last game.Similar to what clubs line Sydney and Hawthorn do.
Especially against Essendon this week would like to see our secondary options in the ruck without Grundy.Same with our backline rest Reid.
Same with our forward line rest Moore. Also in our midreild give Pendels Adams Treloar a roster day off.

Has to prove his body can get through a season without an LTI before we can start talking about top 5's of anything

Would like to see players like Reid Pendels Adams Grundy and a few others reasted for the first game or 2 in the preseason give the kids a game, and play them possibly just in the last game.Similar to what clubs like Sydney and Hawthorn do.
Coaching panel was listening to you. Great assessment

Don't understand for the life of me how some are targetting a player who has played what 4 games? It takes a good couple of seasons to settle in.

If we are going to target Shaz after playing 4 games.. then i suggest those who are doing it should go back and have a geez at Moores first few games.. atrocious.

If we are going to target Shaz after playing 4 games.. then i suggest those who are doing it should go back and have a geez at Moores first few games.. atrocious.
While I agree greatly with your sentiment. Shaz needs to be given plenty of time in 2017 and not be expected to need to be senior ready for a while yet I have to sat your Moore comparison doesn't work for me.

Moore 1st 2 games were teasing in that he didn't do a lot but what he did was just exciting. He threw himself into games. Then in his 3rd game he came out and tore the Doggies defence apart with 5 goals!!

While I agree greatly with your sentiment. Shaz needs to be given plenty of time in 2017 and not be expected to need to be senior ready for a while yet I have to sat your Moore comparison doesn't work for me.

Moore 1st 2 games were teasing in that he didn't do a lot but what he did was just exciting. He threw himself into games. Then in his 3rd game he came out and tore the Doggies defence apart with 5 goals!!

3rd game?

Agreed there with Shaz.. we still need to look at Shaz as a first yr player in effect.. yes he's been around the club a few yrs.. but 2 out of the 3 really haven't been with the group.. it's been in rehab.

This laconic argument people do throw out is nonsense.. no he didn't get involved in the game much last night.. but when the game starts to open up.. and he's running out of the back half with the pill.. people will see why he's such a brilliant talent.

Yep you're right 3rd game.

Shaz will have a breakout game this yr i have no doubts about that.. then he'll just progress from there.. I'm not expecting big things from him this yr.. just a bloke who's having a crack and figuring things out. All i want from him are those glimpses of brilliance.. of what he's capable of doing.. consistency will come in 1-2 yrs. I could be wrong and everything could click for him.. i mean who knows these things.. makes it all the more exciting watching him play.. not knowing what to expect.. i love the anticipation.

Yep you're right 3rd game.

Shaz will have a breakout game this yr i have no doubts about that.. then he'll just progress from there.. I'm not expecting big things from him this yr.. just a bloke who's having a crack and figuring things out. All i want from him are those glimpses of brilliance.. of what he's capable of doing.. consistency will come in 1-2 yrs. I could be wrong and everything could click for him.. i mean who knows these things.. makes it all the more exciting watching him play.. not knowing what to expect.. i love the anticipation.

I have seen absolutely zero evidence that Shaz has a crack let alone can play the game in the way his status in the draft would indicate. He has been about as influential as a point post in every game I have seen him play. I don't ask for much. Hoskin Elliott didn't gather 50 possessions but he showed all of us a brief glimpse of his potential with a great goal and lovely contested mark. Josh Daicos only had 7 touches but they oozed class and balance. Elliot was good in the air and took a lovely contested mark as well as showing some good work at ground level. Shaz- did nothing. Nothing. I am still waiting to see one flash of brilliance...one mark or kick that makes me say-yes , we have something here. Good lord he has been incredibly underwhelming even given his wretched injury run.
May I ask you exactly what aspect of his game excites you? He is slow, physically weak and very laconic in his approach to the contest.

I have seen absolutely zero evidence that Shaz has a crack let alone can play the game in the way his status in the draft would indicate. He has been about as influential as a point post in every game I have seen him play. I don't ask for much. Hoskin Elliott didn't gather 50 possessions but he showed all of us a brief glimpse of his potential with a great goal and lovely contested mark. Josh Daicos only had 7 touches but they oozed class and balance. Elliot was good in the air and took a lovely contested mark as well as showing some good work at ground level. Shaz- did nothing. Nothing. I am still waiting to see one flash of brilliance...one mark or kick that makes me say-yes , we have something here. Good lord he has been incredibly underwhelming even given his wretched injury run.
May I ask you exactly what aspect of his game excites you? He is slow, physically weak and very laconic in his approach to the contest.
I have to agree with this.
I know the kid has had a terrible run with it but the small amount of times that he has been able to get on the park I haven't seen anything at all to be excited about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that people ought to temper their expectations of him for this year, especially early in the season. I think he's going to take most of the year to get going again and regain his confidence. He's simply missed too much footy and has had too much bad luck with injury to expect him to be anywhere near his best for quite some time.

I'll be happy with him playing senior footy later in the season and hope to see a couple of good quality games towards the end. Not fussed if he's in and out of the side a bit either.

I want to see Shaz in the starting 18 from round 1 and dominating the half back flank by Anzac Day. How's that for tempered expectations! :p

Im usually harsh on top 10 picks. However , he has been injured since he was drafted. Two season ending injuries, essentially hasnt had a injury free pre season. Came in with dodgey feet. These arent excuses , its fact.

The position he plays will not show flashy plays or exciting bits of play. His strength is reading the play and composure. You cant judge that on one half of one game in the last 18 odd months. Plan for last night wouldve been to get him through, not be in the best or highlights package. Baby steps.

Continuity will build confidence which will build belief he belongs and he will start to play to his strengths a lot more naturally than we are seeing or have seen.

Don't understand for the life of me how some are targetting a player who has played what 4 games? It takes a good couple of seasons to settle in.

I agree with what you're trying to say, but not with your premise of 4 games.

I think it is folly to judge someone on stats or output from only a few games.
But I do think you can judge a lot by how someone "looks" in terms of handling the pace and intensity of AFL and how their decision making looks under pressure (even if the pace or skills aren't there yet).

Compare Gaults few AFL games to Moore's first few or Cox's first few.
Moore showed from day one that he could handle the mental side of AFL level - he showed great intensity and would get to every contest, even if it was just turning stuff into 50/50's rather than getting the ball himself.
Cox really impressed me with his decision making. I remember even in the Anzac day game he did a few "football IQ" things (like a little touch in the contest the knock the ball over the top to a teammate). Clearly the talent requires a lot of work, but you saw enough early to see that mentally he is ready to play AFL (which is huge for someone so new to the game) - just needs the skils and to work on his acceleration and lateral movement.

As for Shaz - I have absolutely no concerns about his current performances.
For him, just needs a good 6-12 months with his body to start to build that confidence back. Once thats there he has shown that he can handle AFL level games, but will need time to build up to it.

I don't understand how people can be so impatient about a kid that hasn't shown 'anything'. You know why he hasn't shown anything yet? Because the unlucky prick has had zero run at proving what he's got. Every time he strings a couple of games together he has gotten injured. So it just baffles me that people can say he's not going to be up to it. Not everyone develops at the same rate. Some players need time and he's a classic case for it, especially after two knees. If this kid plays 20 games in a row I really think a lot of people will have egg on their face ala the Maynard haters. There's no need for any criticism towards him.

I don't understand how people can be so impatient about a kid that hasn't shown 'anything'. You know why he hasn't shown anything yet? Because the unlucky prick has had zero run at proving what he's got. Every time he strings a couple of games together he has gotten injured. So it just baffles me that people can say he's not going to be up to it. Not everyone develops at the same rate. Some players need time and he's a classic case for it, especially after two knees. If this kid plays 20 games in a row I really think a lot of people will have egg on their face ala the Maynard haters. There's no need for any criticism towards him.

Some Posters seem to make there mind up after 1 Game

I will bite.

Watch him closely and he looks super composed. I rarely (if ever) have seen make a mistake.

Once he gets his confidence back, you may eat your words.

I will lay my cards on the table.........I really rate this kid.

I went to the game and the thing I liked the most (Daicossssssssssss.....sorry I digress) about Shazza was after he shanked two simple kicks he was seriously dirty on himself.

All I am saying is give him a chance.......if his body holds up he will be a 200 game Premiership player for us.

For me there are almost 2 distinct camps when it comes to Shaz. I want to give him time as you suggest but I have to say I am in the camp that doubts he will reach the heights we hoped for when we drafted him. I was a big fan of his story when he came to the club and went to the VFL and concentrated on watching him because of the rave reviews he had had. While he has had little time to show us what he has got , what he has shown so far has been underwhelming. I want to say more than anything else this kid needs time and patience to see if he will make it

I see posters with the alternate view who say he will be a 200 game star and top 5 payer at the club. They extoll what he has done to date. Thats the bit I don't get because what I have seen doesn't fill me with confidence. He just doesn't stand out or show a little glimpse of something like a Daicos or Moore or even Ramsay has. I hope he makes it but I just don't see what he brings to the team that would be really valuable.

Very happy to be wrong of course.

For me there are almost 2 distinct camps when it comes to Shaz. I want to give him time as you suggest but I have to say I am in the camp that doubts he will reach the heights we hoped for when we drafted him. I was a big fan of his story when he came to the club and went to the VFL and concentrated on watching him because of the rave reviews he had had. While he has had little time to show us what he has got , what he has shown so far has been underwhelming. I want to say more than anything else this kid needs time and patience to see if he will make it

I see posters with the alternate view who say he will be a 200 game star and top 5 payer at the club. They extoll what he has done to date. Thats the bit I don't get because what I have seen doesn't fill me with confidence. He just doesn't stand out or show a little glimpse of something like a Daicos or Moore or even Ramsay has. I hope he makes it but I just don't see what he brings to the team that would be really valuable.

Very happy to be wrong of course.

He had 1 half in a VFL final where he looked like an absolute star but the rest has been largely mediocre (which is understandable considering his lack of confidence and continuity)

He had 1 half in a VFL final where he looked like an absolute star but the rest has been largely mediocre (which is understandable considering his lack of confidence and continuity)

This is the thing. Those of us who saw that VFL final half, in September 2015, rave about it. That includes me. Others scoff, and that's OK too.

But it was such a dominant, almost off the radar performance (until poor Jonno Marsh went down), that it flagged something really special. We just need to start seeing it at the higher level, for a sustained period. That wont come until he has absolute confidence in himself, and his body. The tentativeness will go when the latter happens.

Plus, he is such a nice guy, as Magpie Girl and I can attest to, when we stalked met him at the intraclub match. He was stoked to hear that BF was sponsoring him this year. And I told him there was a lot of good will for him on BF, wanting him to succeed. So please dont make me a liar!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back