Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Shaz is the glue in the backline imo, the amount of times he intercept marks or intercepts oppositions entries is phenomenal for someone who’s only played 20+ games. The guy is a gem no doubt and we’re really starting to see what kind of player he will be, fingers crossed he stays fit and builds on this as he’s getting better with every game he plays.

Not sure about the knock on his kicking, he’s probably the one player that makes the sensible decision with ball in hand. Plays within his limitations, something Langdon and occasionally Howe can possible do too. When he has the ball I feel a sense of security, the lack of penetration is no doubt down to the amount of footy he has missed over the past few seasons. Needs time to build the power in his legs again but it’ll come. He’s no a doubt a good user of the ball and once he gains some power in his legs again, he may gain the confidence within himself to take on the more risky option by foot.

Not sure about the knock on his kicking, he’s probably the one player that makes the sensible decision with ball in hand. Plays within his limitations, something Langdon and occasionally Howe can possible do too. When he has the ball I feel a sense of security, the lack of penetration is no doubt down to the amount of footy he has missed over the past few seasons. Needs time to build the power in his legs again but it’ll come. He’s no a doubt a good user of the ball and once he gains some power in his legs again, he may gain the confidence within himself to take on the more risky option by foot.

I'm someone who has been critical of his ball use. I don't think there is anything really wrong with it, but I also don't think he should receive praise for his ball use, other than to say it's improved a bit since last year because he now goes for the occasional 45 degree forwards option, which he wasn't doing at all last year.

I said last night that I'd have another look, but I've come to the same conclusion. Shaz is safe with the footy, but often he just turns and without looking, passes it off sideways to someone else who then has the more difficult responsibility of getting us going forward. It's no real issue, but I'd call it neutral ball use rather than good ball use. I think he’ll improve though. Early in his career, Pendles used to be a bit the same, obviously it did not remain an issue for long.

I don't agree, can't cite examples but my recollection is tonight he spotted targets upfield under extreme pressure plus 40 metres. That is in addition to lateral 100% kicks which instead of putting the recipient under duress opened up tThe next penetrating kick

Agree, I think his power and penetration have improved this year and I think will continue to do so.

His kicking was great in the first half, and he made some longish, penetrating kicks as well that hit targets in great position. Lost that a bit in the second, possibly as he got more tired he looked for the easier option. Another solid game all round though!

Or maybe the longer more attacking options weren't as available in the 2nd half. It's generally never a simple answer.

Could he even be considered in the AA squad if they were picking now? *

Building a formidable body of work.

* not quite there yet, that’s my instinct without deeply considering all the back line alternatives in the competition but his work is rock solid. Not spectacular but hard as a sold cement foundation.

* not quite there yet, that’s my instinct without deeply considering all the back line alternatives in the competition but his work is rock solid. Not spectacular but hard as a sold cement foundation.

Those black and white stripes would preclude that!!

(nah not quite there....plus we dont need the publicity....hes still a secret weapon at the moment)

I doubt it. Even though he is comfortably beating his man each week, AA selectors like their defenders to take the game on. When you couple this with them also liking the bloke to have built his reputation for at least a year before he gets nominated, I reckon he'd only be third in line from our team alone - Howe and Crisp ahead of him in AA squad discussion.

I doubt it. Even though he is comfortably beating his man each week, AA selectors like their defenders to take the game on. When you couple this with them also liking the bloke to have built his reputation for at least a year before he gets nominated, I reckon he'd only be third in line from our team alone - Howe and Crisp ahead of him in AA squad discussion.
All fair points.

Though (and agree it happens) they seem to like a season or two of solid work, it shouldn’t be like that. Should be strictly based on the current year.

All fair points.

Though (and agree it happens) they seem to like a season or two of solid work, it shouldn’t be like that. Should be strictly based on the current year.

I'm not fussed. It's a high performance accolade. The way I see it, if you've been performing at a high level for longer you are probably more worthy of an accolade. All judgements are made based on teams with different systems structure and support and without having full knowledge of the player's role, so it's a long way from being an exact science anyway.

Shaz is currently 23rd for total intercept possessions in the AFL. Not bad but not yet amazing. Rance sits atop with 105 at 11.7 a game. By comparison, Shaz has 60 at 7.5 a game. Howe is our number 1 with 8.2 per game, Crisp number 2 with 6.9 per game but has played an extra game than Shaz. Strictly by averages, Shaz is 15th.

For a young guy with his history, it’s pretty decent.

As for his kicking penetration, he is only 14th on our list for metres gained which lends itself to the whole ‘safe kicking’ theory. He averages only 248m which compares to Howe who is our benchmark with 429m. On the bright side he’s less likely to kick backward than Mayne who has averaged 87.9m gained per game, the worst of any player to have played a game for our club this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the club nominates players for the squad initially.

Really?

That’s interesting.
Seriously didn’t know that?

Is that right?

I think you may be thinking of the AFLPA award where each club nominates 3 players able to be voted on. Clubs dont nominate AA squads.

On the bright side he’s less likely to kick backward than Mayne who has averaged 87.9m gained per game, the worst of any player to have played a game for our club this season.
It probably doesn’t help that he can no longer kick over a jam tin.

I would amend that to there being zero chance that he would he even come into consideration given that you could easily rattle off 9 or 10 names just off the top of your head that are well ahead of him when it comes to medium sized defenders.

He's tracking well but there all that it is, he is not an AA-calibre backman and to be frank he is a long, long way off reaching those lofty heights.

he does play safe but with that said we can't have all attacking players, Crisp and Murray play that Running style. Maynard** and Howe are our penetrating kicks, Shaz is the safe kick and Dunn just Punts it lol

he does play safe but with that said we can't have all attacking players, Crisp and Murray play that Running style. Maynard** and Howe are our penetrating kicks, Shaz is the safe kick and Dunn just Punts it lol
The idea of designated kicking styles would explain why Adams played defence when Langdon was out.

It probably doesn’t help that he can no longer kick over a jam tin.

It's a strange one. Early in the season I thought he'd actually regained some penetration in his kicking but its just evaporated now that he's back playing seniors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back