Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha.. looking for a schaz thread.. had to ask.. was hoping he was ahead of schedule. No one seems to mention him on bigfooty anymore.

Hopefully we see him at some point.

One of my favs.

One of my favs also levendi.

Having him primed for the Finals (if we make it) would be amazing.

Χριστός ἀνέστη Gimpy I won’t have a chance on Saturday as all my kids will be in a bridal party.

I’m not allowed to mention the great love that dare not speak its name.

Hi Jinx

(last time Hi Jinx worked well was 1960)

All sorted by Anzacday . Bad books? I was worried you weren't talking to me anymore.:)

How can I not talk to the M's around here (using the M word apparently is sacrilege) ........they always listen to what I have to say. ;)

Hopefully he can string a few good games in the VFL in the 2nd half and push for a seniors spot for finals. His intercepting marking and read of play would be an upgrade on Aish.

One of my favs also levendi.

Having him primed for the Finals (if we make it) would be amazing.

Χριστός ἀνέστη Gimpy I won’t have a chance on Saturday as all my kids will be in a bridal party.

Christos Anesti re.. sorry don't log on much these days.. work and in the middle of renos.. getting up 5 in the morning to get painting done.. work.. then cont on with it.. entire house.. breaking em re.. have bugger all time to read anyone's posts.. hopefully get back on board more in a mth or so.. poor game day form as well re.. admin would be pissed for paying me $650 per game day re.. I feel like Nathan Jones.. overpaid halia re.

Shaz would be a pretty big upgrade on Aish if he could return. A high linking half back.
I don’t think Shaz has the mobility to play that role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A combination of speed, acceleration and agility.

I reckon Scharenberg matches Aish on all those fronts but he adds more as he intercepts better, wins more footy and disposes of it better.

I reckon Scharenberg matches Aish on all those fronts but he adds more as he intercepts better, wins more footy and disposes of it better.
Agree.
He’s a far superior player assuming full fitness.

He certainly intercepts better, and is a far better kick and decision maker. I am not sure he is as mobile as Aish though, and that is saying something as I think Aish is below average in 'mobility'.

They are both very slow, and have pretty poor agility - with Shaz likely to be a little poorer given another knee reco in my view.

I don't rate Aish at all, and I do rate Scharenberg, but not in the small forward shutdown role - I think we need a truer (faster) small defender sometime soon (someone like Quaynor for example)

Would love him back this year to get another crack at it. He was marked as a key back last year though? Will that change coming off another reco?

He certainly intercepts better, and is a far better kick and decision maker. I am not sure he is as mobile as Aish though, and that is saying something as I think Aish is below average in 'mobility'.

They are both very slow, and have pretty poor agility - with Shaz likely to be a little poorer given another knee reco in my view.

I don't rate Aish at all, and I do rate Scharenberg, but not in the small forward shutdown role - I think we need a truer (faster) small defender sometime soon (someone like Quaynor for example)

Aish has been playing as a high half back on the worst forward. I think Shaz could do that better than Aish. Maynard and Crisp usually get the dangerous smalls. My preference, as you suggest, would be to have that third smaller defender to be someone quick and pacy. Although our options are either too raw (Quaynor) suspended (Murray) or injured/more defensive minded (Appleby). The other option for the team, when Shaz returns, is if we go smaller in defence with Roughead going out.

I think Scharenberg’s disposal is overrated. He’s neater than Aish but he has no hurt factor. He intercepts better than Aish but Aish’s interceptions aren’t bad. Scharenberg was struggling to keep up with key forwards on the lead last year, I think he’ll have no hope keeping up with someone who’s actually nimble especially after coming back from another acl. I don’t think Aish is a speed demon, but he has Schaz well covered. Schaz is a key defender or nothing.

I think Scharenberg’s disposal is overrated. He’s neater than Aish but he has no hurt factor. He intercepts better than Aish but Aish’s interceptions aren’t bad. Scharenberg was struggling to keep up with key forwards on the lead last year, I think he’ll have no hope keeping up with someone who’s actually nimble especially after coming back from another acl. I don’t think Aish is a speed demon, but he has Schaz well covered. Schaz is a key defender or nothing.

I think we see Scharenberg very differently. His kicking, once he'd settled into the AFL for a few weeks, became much more daring and he almost always hits his target. I wouldn't want Scharenberg on anyone too nimble but I say the same for Aish. Scharenberg is likely to be suitable for anyone Aish is sent to. The big difference is the intercept work and frankly there is no comparison between the two. Scharenberg is elite by AFL standard at this. I think given this is one of the best ways to win the ball cleanly and launch quick forward forays this ability should be highly valued. It's where Sharenbergs biggest strength is. I'd be happy if that's as a key defender, third tall or high half back.

Probably still a year away at best before he's AFL relevant
And sadly, likely by the time he is, he won’t be again.

* that draft, what a campaigner.

Would love him back this year to get another crack at it. He was marked as a key back last year though? Will that change coming off another reco?
I’d say it will change because we have legitimate KP defenders in Moore and Roughead both available and playing good footy now.

Disagree. His intercept work and ability to read the play in general are far superior and make up for any speed difference (not much). He also has that footballers instinct about where to go to find the footy, and thus manages to get a whole lot more of it, and is better by foot than Aish. He is very well suited to a HBF intercept role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back