Player Watch Matthew Scharenberg (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't play him just yet. He's only recently back. One more knee and he's our Alex Johnson. And AFL is a step up in speed and turns and the deck at Marvel not as soft as VFL grounds.

Give Shaz a few more weeks. Give Goldsack a game instead.

He is ready when he is ready. Trust the club. Every time I watch him play I have my heart in my mouth, it will always be a risk just like any player. Its all about whether he has the conditioning to play AFL.

It's Russian roulette in a way, always better to promote a player when in good form and confidence.

How long do you hold a player back that is performing in the two's without denting confidence?

A vexed question to be sure, and one I'm glad I don't need to answer.

Fingers crossed for Shaz and the club.

I'll admit to being a bit torn. Would be really excited to see him return to senior footy but unsure if it should be this week. Will back the selectors in either way, they've clearly got more information than we do. Happily though, the way he's been going it appears to be more a "when" question than an "if".

Nice entry, when he’s ready, well above an average type used as depth.

In the event of emotional setback, JB1975 would be doing well if he mustered enough fortitude to change out of his pyjamas and dressing gown to collect the mail.

Shaz, on the other hand, has come back from another knee reco with yet more vigour and determination than ever before. Whatever happens from here, whether he gets selected or not this week, I can't help but admire his efforts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can only surmise that in returning from his injury that there is a program and whilst there is some flexibility, the program must not be completed yet to play him in seniors.

On that, we’ll just have to be a bit more patient.

Looking forward to his return.

With Schaz I don't look into his stats too much. He does like running sideways to his team mate 20 meters away & it does pad marks & possession stats.
I'd be interested to know how many were intercept or contested marks. That would tell you more about somebody who was ready to come back into the senior team.

I must say, credit to Schaz for coming back after a lengthy lay-off and looking this comfortable this early into the comeback.

You could totally excuse a bloke for taking 6+ weeks to start getting a feel for the game again after their 3rd Knee reco.

With Schaz I don't look into his stats too much. He does like running sideways to his team mate 20 meters away & it does pad marks & possession stats.
I'd be interested to know how many were intercept or contested marks. That would tell you more about somebody who was ready to come back into the senior team.

Yeah because spreading from the contest and providing an easy exit option out of defence for your teammates is so overrated.

Unless it slows the ball movement and allows opposition time to set up their zone.

Chips sideways is sometimes a reason we stall out of our def 50.

Sadly, that more often than not comes down to either 1. skill execution with the kick either to where the player is or behind them causing them to stop and prop, or 2. work rate or lack thereof of the down field options. I think we also need to acknowledge the opposition for their ability to close down those options. None of which makes moving the ball sideways the wrong thing to do, we just need to do it better.

Sadly, that more often than not comes down to either 1. skill execution with the kick either to where the player is or behind them causing them to stop and prop, or 2. work rate or lack thereof of the down field options. I think we also need to acknowledge the opposition for their ability to close down those options. None of which makes moving the ball sideways the wrong thing to do, we just need to do it better.

Yes and no, sometimes it is hesitancy to take a risk or shot gun run it making the field move.

I am a big Shaz fan but had play devils advocate on the 20m sideways chip effectiveness. Sometimes its a good option but other times it is not and generally if that receiver of the chip can't move it on quickly then its usually a poor result and momentum killer.

Yeah because spreading from the contest and providing an easy exit option out of defence for your teammates is so overrated.

Thanks Mr sarcasm? I think loki04 nailed it. I'd prefer us taking on the game with run rather than the stop & prop game style this encourages.
We don't get stats in the VFL for score involvements or intercept possessions, or ground ball gets or hard ball gets, so sometimes they need to be taken with a grain of salt. He may have taken 10 intercept marks for all we know, but without data I'm not getting totally carried away with one game like some here tend to do.

Yes and no, sometimes it is hesitancy to take a risk or shot gun run it making the field move.

I am a big Shaz fan but had play devils advocate on the 20m sideways chip effectiveness. Sometimes its a good option but other times it is not and generally if that receiver of the chip can't move it on quickly then its usually a poor result and momentum killer.
I think we are intentionally not looking for shot gun run from behind the ball, because of the risk involved and our preference for keeping shape. I don't like it, but I think that's our current philosophy. Our mids will attempt it, but the defensive core aren't looking to get involved.

I think we are intentionally not looking for shot gun run from behind the ball, because of the risk involved and our preference for keeping shape. I don't like it, but I think that's our current philosophy. Our mids will attempt it, but the defensive core aren't looking to get involved.

I disagree. I think we're always looking for it. Had a couple on Sunday. I think our issue is that we all too frequently let ourselves down on the delivery of that through poor skills but we continue to look for the opportunities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back