Toast Matthew Suckling

Remove this Banner Ad

Birchall is a better kick than both Hodge and Suckling. He can do the same kick, the difference is he makes it hit more often than Hodge or Suckling do and without the severe shanks which hurt us the other way.

Urrrghh did you miss Hodge right foot spear onto Hales tit yesterday? Those are the kicks that result in goals...
In a hot contested finals like contested game his run and carry like his left foot are void, he isn't a Smith nor a Hill. He doesn't have the speed two way running nor the stamina of those two.

I'm not calling him soft, no one at our football club is soft. I'm talking about his ability to win a contested football in a one on one. Being pushed around, out bodied, holding your ground, keeping your feet etc.
He has been found wanting in the past two games when the heat was on, Sydney GF and the Geelong game this year. Both Young and Suckling let us down at important times of the game in contested situations in 2012.....it haunts me. Our players dropped their heads whilst our opponents walked taller.

Youngs 2008 GF haunts me too... the sound that 70m bomb of his made off the boot...

Urrrghh did you miss Hodge right foot spear onto Hales tit yesterday? Those are the kicks that result in goals...

Youngs 2008 GF haunts me too... the sound that 70m bomb of his made off the boot...

So Youngs insipid effort being pushed off the ball in a contested situation in the goal square in the 2012 GF doesn't haunt you, how bout Suckling being taken to the cleaners by Mitch Morton, Yes Mitch....No its really Mitch Morton, who beat him in contested marking situations and at ground level..... When Mitch Morton is winning contested football you know something's amiss.

Last edited:

No I didn't miss it and it was good but you don't seem to understand what a good kick is. Someone who consistently hits targets without turning the ball over. Birchall does that, Mitchell does that, Burgoyne does that, Suckling does not. He may hit the impossible kick but he will stuff up the simple ones, that is not an elite kick to me.

The difference with Young in 08 was that he was a winger so didn't need as much a defensive side to his game. Then in 12 we were playing him off half back, like Suckling and he became a liability defensively. Mind you I still think Young is better defensively than Suckling

Wow, people are really getting into Suckling for no reason. I wouldn't even say he's been in our bottom 3 performers this year.

Around 2 games is enough for some people to question his heart and toughness? Soft as butter especially considering the teams performances.
If there are even people questioning whether he's an elite kick (the one thing stats are useful for, at least bother look at them before making statements) he's officially entered whipping boy status for the cry babies on this board to wave their rattle at when we lose. Yeah let's have a bitch about 2012, Gunston is the wooorst isn't he? Squibbed it.

As someone said, Birchall had remarkably similar criticism even during our rise to the top funnily enough. Worse defender than Young, wow. This thread is going to be a fun bump eventually.

I would like to see you back this up with some facts.

Got anything on who he played on and how many goals he conceded?
2012 GF, the mighty Mitch Morton kicked goals on him FFS!
V Geelong he is a liability defensively

In big games he needs to be played as a winger/high half forward, NEVER as a defender!
If his kicking is off, as it has been in pressure games, he brings nothing else to the table, and his tackling is poor

It's very obvious to see this

I'm not saying he can't become a Hawk Premiership player, he just can't play as a defender in big games!

Last edited:
2012 GF, the mighty Mitch Morton kicked goals on him FFS!
V Geelong he is a liability defensively

In big games he needs to be played as a winger/high half forward, NEVER as a defender!
If his kicking is off, as it has been in pressure games, he brings nothing else to the table, and his tackling is poor

It's very obvious to see this

I'm not saying he can't become a Hawk Premiership player, he just can't play as a defender in big games!

Swap Cheeney for a fit Lake and we beat the Cats, I'm not sure which of Horlin-Smith, Burbury or Murdoch Sucko was playing on in the Cats game but none of them were are major influence.

Please describe where you find Sucko responsible for Mortons goals from the 2012 GF?

Swap Cheeney for a fit Lake and we beat the Cats, I'm not sure which of Horlin-Smith, Burbury or Murdoch Sucko was playing on in the Cats game but none of them were are major influence.

Please describe where you find Sucko responsible for Mortons goals from the 2012 GF?

Sucklings disposal v Cats was very poor and his defensive pressure non-existant because Geelong don't ever allow him time and space to use his only weapon, his left foot. He was very poor by foot last week v Tigers too, but wasn't costly as Tigers were poor and didn't hurt us.
As for the GF, Morton was his direct opponent, yet you don't see Suckling in the frame for either goal

Against run of the mill sides he is a fantastic weapon, because the odd mistake is easily covered, but against quality opposition and manic pressure he cannot be played as a defender.
Maybe a good choice as the sub, when opposition players are tired and pressure may not be as ferocious
JMHO

I love Suckers, and I would very much have him in my best 22.....however, I think his "precision" kicking is extremely overrated by all and sundry.

Yes he has a different kicking style, yes he kicks the ball around his body, yes he is a long kick, but I don't think he is the best kick in our team, let alone the comp.

Overrated kick that's for sure. But need him in the side for his LONG kicking, busting up lines of defenders. I would love for him to work on the defensive side of his game too.

During his past 2 weeks, his kicking hasn't been up to his own standards we know he can achieve. He's still a young player and like many other young players, I expect them to be working on all aspects of their game and improving. I hope he can improve on other areas of his game. I remain optimistic about him improving, not like he could improve his game much in rehab.

So Youngs insipid effort being pushed off the ball in a contested situation in the goal square in the 2012 GF doesn't haunt you, how bout Suckling being taken to the cleaners by Mitch Morton, Yes Mitch....No its really Mitch Morton, who beat him in contested marking situations and at ground level..... When Mitch Morton is winning contested football you know something's amiss.

In fairness to Suckling, Mitch "the biggest spud that ever tore us a new one" Morton also got a hold of Burgoyne a couple times at ground level.

Sucklings disposal v Cats was very poor and his defensive pressure non-existant because Geelong don't ever allow him time and space to use his only weapon, his left foot. He was very poor by foot last week v Tigers too, but wasn't costly as Tigers were poor and didn't hurt us.
As for the GF, Morton was his direct opponent, yet you don't see Suckling in the frame for either goal

Against run of the mill sides he is a fantastic weapon, because the odd mistake is easily covered, but against quality opposition and manic pressure he cannot be played as a defender.
Maybe a good choice as the sub, when opposition players are tired and pressure may not be as ferocious
JMHO
Pretty sure he kicked at least one of those goals on Burgoyne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the end of the day a week or 2 ago there were flogs everywhere calling for Duryea to be dropped... now it is Sucko's turn in the clueless firing line.

Really glad some of you lot are not on our match committee...

At the end of the day a week or 2 ago there were flogs everywhere calling for Duryea to be dropped... now it is Sucko's turn in the clueless firing line.

Really glad some of you lot are not on our match committee...

Whilst Duryeas disposal wasn't up to scratch, he had one thing on his side - he knows how to defend and brings a physical hard edge to every contest.

If suckling was playing on the wing or forward of centre, I think you'd find most people wouldn't have any immediate concerns...but while he is playing in the backline, he needs to learn how to defend and he needs to start making better decisions with the options he takes rather than going for the high risk miracle kicks, which he knows could result in a costly turnover if he can't execute it effectively.

Give the guy a break, he has his flaws but he is coming off a knee reco, he is six senior games into his return.
He is a great point of difference when he is up and going, if we play him deep defence he is vulnerable at times, if we play him between the two 50 metre lines he is a weapon.
Give him time and use him properly and his confidence and form will return.

If I was the coach, for one game, maybe against Melbourne or GWS, I would play Suckling mainly across half forward.

It cuts down on potential shanks becoming dangerous quickly and he could also deliver nicely to the forwards when he gets it right or possibly even hit the scoreboard himself

If I was the coach, for one game, maybe against Melbourne or GWS, I would play Suckling mainly across half forward.

It cuts down on potential shanks becoming dangerous quickly and he could also deliver nicely to the forwards when he gets it right or possibly even hit the scoreboard himself
Clarko made comments in this regard. he does use suckling there at times however he believes his best position is HBF.

I wasn't rubbishing Poppy.. just illustrating that it is OK to have players who have limits on some parts of their game
A they say in football these days " it is what it is" whatever the hell that means. Poppy is exactly what he is , he performs exactly as he would , being a short , heavily muscled burst running machine that can kick and can get the hard ball and can go to the outside and never ever lets up if a tackle doesn't stick, he is a game winner and an elite player for what he does. He is actually exactly what he should be , he can't be anything else , and his input is fericious and non stop. Maybe he ges tired on occasion, but he has the heart of a Lion and I mean the African type.

A they say in football these days " it is what it is" whatever the hell that means. Poppy is exactly what he is , he performs exactly as he would , being a short , heavily muscled burst running machine that can kick and can get the hard ball and can go to the outside and never ever lets up if a tackle doesn't stick, he is a game winner and an elite player for what he does. He is actually exactly what he should be , he can't be anything else , and his input is fericious and non stop. Maybe he ges tired on occasion, but he has the heart of a Lion and I mean the African type.
PS he has no limits , what he gives is everything he's got. He is not 6 foot 6 tall , he's not a screaming mark taker or a giant full forward or backman or ruckman , he's a piston in our machine , there are no regulation people, there are people who perform a duty, the duty he has he does perfectly well. That's all I'm saying , no one can compare any player to another player with another role . What are his short comings , because I can't see any.

PS he has no limits , what he gives is everything he's got. He is not 6 foot 6 tall , he's not a screaming mark taker or a giant full forward or backman or ruckman , he's a piston in our machine , there are no regulation people, there are people who perform a duty, the duty he has he does perfectly well. That's all I'm saying , no one can compare any player to another player with another role . What are his short comings , because I can't see any.

Devils adv.....

Too short
Not much good overhead
kicking average
choked in a couple of big moments who will forget the karate kick attempt at goal which allowed the Cats to sweep it to the other end for "THAT F'KING KICK" by Chubby Hawkins.

A "hater" can come up with a list of shortcomings or moments to bring down most players.

p.s. the above are not my opinions I am just playing the role of a hater.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back