Toast Matthew Suckling

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought i'd bump this.

Have always been a fan of his and know their are some serial detractors around his contested ability and defensive side, however have been really disappointed with his first three games. So often in contests he's the guy a metre off them and having little or no influence. He hasn't really been able to use his boot much this year either, often only chipping 20 - 30 metre passes. In addition, he also seems to have little influence until the heat drops out of the game during the third quarter.

I wonder whether he is suited to the sub role or needs a spell at BH to work on his contested ball winning abilities. It's not like we are getting massive offensive value out of him.

What do others think?

I seem to recall he battled to get into the game when he was a sub, but that was around 2011ish I think.

I reckon he needs some more tricks in his kit bag. If the style of game doesn't allow him to get onto long precision left footers, does he stand any chance of being in our best? He still has a real crack, but his key attribute is about 80% of his game.

The lack of a right foot is a massive liability imo. It seems to be forgotten when he works magic with the left, but as soon as the opposition limits space for his left, it gets ugly.

Matt Suckling has a definite place in the team
At present he's providing run and delivery of the backline. He and Birch all do it best. Sometimes teams play a defensive forward against one of these 2, leaving one loose. It also takes one of their players out of the game. When that happens, other players get loose.

I often hear people comment that a player is having a quiet game, when they just getting tagged. It allows other players off the leash. Smith cops a tag? Hill gets free; Breust gets tagged and others get free.

Its simplistic to say "why is player X having a quiet one" when we are winning. You only need to see what others are doing.

Last edited:

Matt Suckling has a definite place in the team
At present he's providing run and delivery of the backline. He and Birch all do it best. Sometimes teams play a defensive forward against one of these 2, leaving one loose. It also takes one of their players out of the game. When that happens, other players get loose.

I often hear people comment that a player is having a quiet game, when they just getting tagged. It allows other players off the leash. Smith cops a tag? Hill gets free; Breast gets tagged and others get free.

Its simplistic to say "why is player X having a quiet one" when we are winning. You only need to see what others are doing.

I could imagine that being quite painful for most women.

I thought he was deplorable versus Essendon and below average versus the Dogs. I think the Port game should suit him though but another poor game could cost him his spot.

Think Stratton would be ahead of him there. Increasingly I am wondering about his role in the side. Suckling has a clear role and is executing that well, within the limits of what oppositions have allowed him to do.

Think Stratton would be ahead of him there. Increasingly I am wondering about his role in the side. Suckling has a clear role and is executing that well, within the limits of what oppositions have allowed him to do.
Stratton?! He's been a rock. A good rock.

Stratton?! He's been a rock. A good rock.

His first two weeks were well below par, vs the Bulldogs he showed glimpses of what is required but he still made plenty of mistakes. I've noticed that his team mates are losing confidence in him, judging from their body language. He hasn't been terrible mind you, I'm just saying that he's been our weakest defender and I don't see a strong niche for him. Not in our best back 6 at the moment if everyone is fit, but he has weeks to show improvement.

His first two weeks were well below par, vs the Bulldogs he showed glimpses of what is required but he still made plenty of mistakes. I've noticed that his team mates are losing confidence in him, judging from their body language. He hasn't been terrible mind you, I'm just saying that he's been our weakest defender and I don't see a strong niche for him. Not in our best back 6 at the moment if everyone is fit, but he has weeks to show improvement.
Can't say I've picked up on any of that myself. He's not a showy player apart from the odd big mark. He's one of those types where if you don't really notice him he's probably done his job.

I think Stratts is one of those guys you don't notice because he just does his job week in week out.
I cant imagine him not being in the team.

As for Suckers, he is probably in the bottom 4 or 5 right now but I suspect he will hold his spot.

I think Stratts is one of those guys you don't notice because he just does his job week in week out.
I cant imagine him not being in the team.

As for Suckers, he is probably in the bottom 4 or 5 right now but I suspect he will hold his spot.

He is trying to be too cute and not doing the simple things right.

Whilst Suckling hasn't been dominant so far, he's still getting plenty of the ball averaging 23 disposals, 7 marks, 2 tackles, 4 inside 50s, 4 rebounds per game. He hasn't been great, but at the same time he hasn't been bad either. I think Suckling can produce a lot more for us if he was to play a bit further up the ground like a wing/half forward type role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst Suckling hasn't been dominant so far, he's still getting plenty of the ball averaging 23 disposals, 7 marks, 2 tackles, 4 inside 50s, 4 rebounds per game. He hasn't been great, but at the same time he hasn't been bad either. I think Suckling can produce a lot more for us if he was to play a bit further up the ground like a wing/half forward type role.

Half forward.... ever seen him take a contested mark? ;)

Mate are we talking about the same Stratton. What drugs are you on. He is one of the more consistent defenders in the league.

One of the more consistent in the league this year? Not sure I'm the one on drugs mate

Ben Stratton is number 24 for Hawthorn and plays in the backline - he's been pretty bloody good.

Mate are we talking about the same Stratton. What drugs are you on. He is one of the more consistent defenders in the league.

Damn straight - should have been All-Aus in 2013.

Ben Stratton is number 24 for Hawthorn and plays in the backline - he's been pretty bloody good.

Damn straight - should have been All-Aus in 2013.

Except that the Dangerfield tackle was in a final, so wasn't counted in AA

Never thought I would see a Suckling thread used to bag Stratts but there you go.

Stratts was well outmatched in the Bombers game but giving up 10cm and 15kg will do that too you, he still tried pretty hard. He's shown he can shut Wingard down and he has taken some very timely marks over his career can't see him even being in the equation to miss unless he is hurt

Suckling is still one of our better runners and I don't see him going anywhere unless someone shows they can play his link up role better and Clarko thinks it will work, he's there to take some of the load off Birch and help get us moving forward I don't see Billy or Lithers pushing him out of the team at this point

Funniest thing I've read on here this year....."Not sure if Stratton is in our best back 6". Gee I'd love to see the reaction the coaches would have to this. Probably laugh at you and tell you to actually watch the game.

So if Stratton doesn't get dropped once Frawley is back then you're clearly wrong. I look forward to this :)

Never thought I would see a Suckling thread used to bag Stratts but there you go.

Stratts was well outmatched in the Bombers game but giving up 10cm and 15kg will do that too you, he still tried pretty hard. He's shown he can shut Wingard down and he has taken some very timely marks over his career can't see him even being in the equation to miss unless he is hurt

Suckling is still one of our better runners and I don't see him going anywhere unless someone shows they can play his link up role better and Clarko thinks it will work, he's there to take some of the load off Birch and help get us moving forward I don't see Billy or Lithers pushing him out of the team at this point
Good point regarding Stratts in the Essendon game. Forgot we didn't have Gibbo and that Frawley went down early. Without Stratt's efforts we would've lost that game by a big margin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back