Matthew Wade

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Once again, overlooked. There was enough conjecture and conversation re him being not included in the test squad, but now he has been left out of the upcoming ODI squad. This is bordering on ridiculous. Second highest run scorer in the BBL, clearly in career best form in all formats and for some ridiculous reason he is not being picked.

This is where cricket selection and sports selection gets political and counter productive to putting forward our most competitive team. There seems to be lots of people not liking him, probably because he is lippy and not afraid to get verbal. I am actually not sure how his ODI record sits but I’d be thinking in the current form he is in that he warrants selection. Short & Turner have been included. Turner? Give me a spell.

Once again we are seeing the selectors make some horrendously poor decisions off the back of an obvious vendetta against our second best performing short form player.

archibald

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
I wouldn’t say it’s riduculous. He’s one player who has been given ample opportunity in past without impressing. These players, and rightly so, need to do more than the average player to earn a recall.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
How do you define more though? He’s upped his game at the back end of the last year and the start of this year. It’s not so obscure that the selectors want to see this continue for while longer yet
He is in form. Shield leading run scorer and second in BBL runs isn’t an average performance.

No excuse not to get picked.

archibald

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
He is in form. Shield leading run scorer and second in BBL runs isn’t an average performance.

No excuse not to get picked.

He’s done it for 1 season total so far after having extensive opportunities previously and butchering them. That’s a very reasonable ‘excuse’ for him not to be selected yet. Unfortunately for his fans he’s coming from a long way back.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
He’s done it for 1 season total so far after having extensive opportunities previously and butchering them. That’s a very reasonable ‘excuse’ for him not to be selected yet. Unfortunately for his fans he’s coming from a long way back.
Hang on? That’s just illogical. How many seasons do you have to do it for? It’s not like he has a B grade shield record for a keeper / batsman. The saying ‘strike while the irons hot’ resonates pretty well here. By your logic of being a regular performer then Maxwell should be batting at 6 or 5 for Australia in test cricket.

archibald

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Hang on? That’s just illogical. How many seasons do you have to do it for? It’s not like he has a B grade shield record for a keeper / batsman. The saying ‘strike while the irons hot’ resonates pretty well here. By your logic of being a regular performer then Maxwell should be batting at 6 or 5 for Australia in test cricket.

If the only basis of your argument is striking while the iron is hot and ignoring individual context then they may as well pick George Bailey who is averaging more this BBL

Last edited:
May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Runs are runs but the bowling in the BBL is generally mediocre to garbage. He's in very good form this summer and if the keeping job opens up through Carey stuffing up or getting injured he'd be a look. But it's hardly 'ridiculous' or 'political' that the selectors have opted not to shoehorn a previously failed journeyman into the side.

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
94 ODIs with a batting average of 25.

Agreed

Plenty of opportunities in ODI and has not nailed it..

Wades best bet is to aim for test cricket and a spot in the squad for the ashes.

He has the opportunity in the remaining shield games...to score hundreds...at least two.... bat up the order in the top 4 for Tas and keep scoring runs

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
A while ago I was against Wade coming in. I just thought it was reverting back to some ordinary times and felt like same old same old. But the runs he has scored since then has changed my mind. I wasn't surprised he was left out of the upcoming ODI series - I think its too early to rule a line through Carey. Plus side for Wade is he now has a good run of shield cricket to continue his form.

I'm against excluding someone permanently because their previous attempt at the top level was mediocre. When players are dropped they are asked to go back to state cricket and score runs and its undeniable that Wade has done exactly that the past 18 months. What incentive does someone have to go back and make runs if they are not going to be rewarded for doing so? That they arent going to be selected because they failed previously?

I dont think its out of the realms of possibility that he has improved in the 18 months he has been out of the side. He is scoring runs that a lot of others arent currently whether it be against average BBL attacks or in Shield cricket. His form has exceptional.

I'm not a massive fan of the bloke but when it comes time to select the WC squad, his numbers stack up better than any other competing for that position currently. I guess it's all up to how Carey performs now in the upcoming series but if he struggles, Wade is first in line.

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I wouldn’t say it’s riduculous. He’s one player who has been given ample opportunity in past without impressing. These players, and rightly so, need to do more than the average player to earn a recall.

Something like return home, work on their game, work on their temperament and then go on to be the #1 Shield scorer, the #2 BBL scorere and the #7 BBL strike rate?

Something like that maybe?

Its a joke he has been snubbed and Langer's explaination was paper thin.

He should be going to India as a batsman.

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
94 ODIs with a batting average of 25.

So?

His form 5 years ago should not be in consideration and the number of posters ITT going with this is disappointing. Langer said he was going to pick players on form and Wade has the best form batsman in the country all summer.

I dont particularly like him as a bloke and even as a proud Tasmanian I've never really fought his corner, but he IS the most in form batsman in the country.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
So?

His form 5 years ago should not be in consideration and the number of posters ITT going with this is disappointing. Langer said he was going to pick players on form and Wade has the best form batsman in the country all summer.

I dont particularly like him as a bloke and even as a proud Tasmanian I've never really fought his corner, but he IS the most in form batsman in the country.
So? He's a proven ****in failure after receiving 94 chances is why. 5 years ago? He played 12 ODIs as recently as in 2017 and averaged 26.

Having a very good season in the SS and hammering glorified club cricketers in the BBL is nice and definitely enough to be in the mix of names but it's not a 'joke' that they have opted to look past someone that has proven not up to it that much at the highest level.

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So? He's a proven ****in failure after receiving 94 chances is why. 5 years ago? He played 12 ODIs as recently as in 2017 and averaged 26.

Having a very good season in the SS and hammering glorified club cricketers in the BBL is nice and definitely enough to be in the mix of names but it's not a 'joke' that they have opted to look past someone that has proven not up to it that much at the highest level.

Jesus who pissed in your weetbix this morning!

Are you saying he is just unselectable due to being a "proven *en failure" in the past? Put a line through him at 31?

If so that IS a joke. He is the best form batsman we have this summer, Im not sure what else you want him to do. It's not like he is trying to displace Ricky Ponting or Matt Hayden either is it. I mean, Khawaja is in the ODI squad!

You can minimise the quality of the BBL all you like but it is the same audition for everyone. Is BBL form not the reason Ashton Turner has been picked??

Agreed and it might help not batting below Jake Doran and George Bailey at Shield level. You just aren’t getting picked batting 6 in a Shield side just won’t happen.

There is so much outcry for a bloke averaging 25! Doubt he’s getting Tom OConnor to belt in an International game...

A while ago I was against Wade coming in. I just thought it was reverting back to some ordinary times and felt like same old same old. But the runs he has scored since then has changed my mind. I wasn't surprised he was left out of the upcoming ODI series - I think its too early to rule a line through Carey. Plus side for Wade is he now has a good run of shield cricket to continue his form.

I'm against excluding someone permanently because their previous attempt at the top level was mediocre. When players are dropped they are asked to go back to state cricket and score runs and its undeniable that Wade has done exactly that the past 18 months. What incentive does someone have to go back and make runs if they are not going to be rewarded for doing so? That they arent going to be selected because they failed previously?

I dont think its out of the realms of possibility that he has improved in the 18 months he has been out of the side. He is scoring runs that a lot of others arent currently whether it be against average BBL attacks or in Shield cricket. His form has exceptional.

I'm not a massive fan of the bloke but when it comes time to select the WC squad, his numbers stack up better than any other competing for that position currently. I guess it's all up to how Carey performs now in the upcoming series but if he struggles, Wade is first in line.
If I was picking a team for the future I'd stick with Carey but I'd have Wade in a team to win the World Cup.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Jesus who pissed in your weetbix this morning!

Are you saying he is just unselectable due to being a "proven ****en failure" in the past? Put a line through him at 31?

If so that IS a joke. He is the best form batsman we have this summer, Im not sure what else you want him to do. It's not like he is trying to displace Ricky Ponting or Matt Hayden either is it. I mean, Khawaja is in the ODI squad!

You can minimise the quality of the BBL all you like but it is the same audition for everyone. Is that not the reason Ashton Turner has been picked??
He just isn't that good, just look at his record as recently as 2017. Anyone isn't a biased fanboy can actually see this.

Could you make a case for his selection on form? Yes. Is is some travesty of justice that they aren't going back to someone who couldn't cut it after 94 games? No. Honestly this place sometimes..

If I was picking a team for the future I'd stick with Carey but I'd have Wade in a team to win the World Cup.
Based on what, being good at yap behind the stumps?

archibald

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Something like return home, work on their game, work on their temperament and then go on to be the #1 Shield scorer, the #2 BBL scorere and the #7 BBL strike rate?

Something like that maybe?

Its a joke he has been snubbed and Langer's explaination was paper thin.

He should be going to India as a batsman.

Perhaps he could do that for more than one season? Look supporters of his return have a valid point as well as those who are of the opinion that someone who was average at best in his previous stint needs to do more than a player who has yet to be exposed to international cricket. That tells you it's not absurd or a joke.

He just isn't that good, just look at his record as recently as 2017. Anyone isn't a biased fanboy can actually see this.

Could you make a case for his selection on form? Yes. Is is some travesty of justice that they aren't going back to someone who couldn't cut it after 94 games? No. Honestly this place sometimes..

Based on what, being good at yap behind the stumps?
Based on him looking in decent touch all season.

Back