Media reports of Fremantle 'tanking' to benefit later on

Remove this Banner Ad

Who is this "Later Ron"?
If we ARE tanking why are we doing it to benefit a third party? Surely if we are going to tank then we should be doing it for our own benefit.
Anyway, we're not tanking, we're just losing. We just happen to be better at it than everyone else, although after watching snippets of the GC and Brissy games I think a new contender is about to enter the room.

Sooooo we've gone from the worst ever minor premiers to the greatest ever wooden spooners.
we were the "worst ever 0-8 team" last year but it took North melbourne one year to beat that record, over half of their games they have barely scraped over and should have lost, atleast we dominated our games last year

I doubt we are tanking. We had the chance to in 2008 and 2009 to get a priority pick. We didn't. We will get our 6 wins

Bear in mind that priority picks are discretionary now, there's no maximum number of wins you can have before you get one.

And no-one has been deemed eligible for one yet. So I reckon we could lose every single game from now by 100 points and we still wouldn't get one. Brisbane might.

I already posted this on another thread but here.

Footy Classified around 32.25 (they talk about Cam McCarthy first)
https://www.9now.com.au/footy-classified/2016/episode-8

AFL 360 around 38.30

EDIT: according to AFL Gameday, we are the greatest 0-8 team in AFL history.

That's my thoughts

We have played most of the top 8 teams bar Carlton

We have lower ranked teams coming up. Watch us climb the ladder and waste a great opportunity to get the best new talent in the afl

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you watch the video? They made a few good points.
I dont give them oxygen. Hutchison has never made a good point in his life. Name a time where tanking has helped a club? Melbourne and Carlton did it.. and they spent years down at the bottom because players forgot how to win, were played out of position and didn't care anymore.

Hawthorn (Franklin, Roughead, Lewis)
Collingwood (Pendlebury & Thomas)
West Coast (Gaff & Darling)
Yeah... none of those teams tanked. They were just s**t. Collingwood didnt win many in 04 and subsequently were s**t in 05. Hawthorn won 2 of their last 5 that year... and subsequently lost 1st overall to Richmond. West Coast were not in the 8 the year before and were never in the hunt for getting above bottom and didn't rest players to tank either. Look at all the players that played for WCE in the last game of the season. Half a premiership team.

Last edited:
Tanking can be done if done right with a good football department and only for a year.

Melbourne and Carlton's problem was that they did it constantly which is why it didn't work. Losing became a habit which then became their culture.

A winning culture can't be achieved in one year, same as a losing one.

Tanking can be done if done right with a good football department and only for a year.

Melbourne and Carlton's problem was that they did it constantly which is why it didn't work. Losing became a habit which then became their culture.

A winning culture can't be achieved in one year, same as a losing one.
Carton start winning now.

Yeah... none of those teams tanked. They were just s**t. Collingwood didnt win many in 04 and subsequently were s**t in 05. Hawthorn won 2 of their last 5 that year... and subsequently lost 1st overall to Richmond. West Coast were not in the 8 the year before and were never in the hunt for getting above bottom and didn't rest players to tank either. Look at all the players that played for WCE in the last game of the season. Half a premiership team.

Eagles did

They put players into season ending surgery when in the secind half of the season when they could have continued to play.

Eagles did

They put players into season ending surgery when in the secind half of the season when they could have continued to play.
Putting them in for end of season surgery (like we did with Fyfe) is only natural when you have nothing to play for. When they don't get surgery til september/october they won't have a pre-season for next year. It is nothing to do with losing those games, it's about getting ready for the year after. Don't forget the Eagles finished 2nd last in 2008 as well so it wasn't as if they were top of the ladder the year before.. And it took them til 2015 to get back to the GF. The more often you finish down the bottom the slower the climb up. Look at Richmond, Carlton, Melbourne, Collingwood, Bulldogs.. Took them ages to get back to the summit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back