Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Discussion

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
Maybe being a sport lover I am bias, but parkland opening up over the tram and train lines joining the entire sporting and entertainment hub of Melbourne together is a worthwhile investment.
You don't make a cent out of parkland. The government would never justify the cost of covering the train tram lines to be replaced by non-revenue generating parks and gardens to the Victorian tax payers. :(

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
80% of the decking needs to be parkland for it to work.

Have a hotel tower, and an entertainment district (something like the pub they have at Perth Stadium) with plenty of outdoor seating in the parkland.

Redevelop Richmond Station, move it closer so that it's entirely west of Punt Rd. Then renovate the 60s building on Swan st and keep an elevated connection over Swan St.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters

Have a hotel tower, and an entertainment district (something like the pub they have at Perth Stadium) with plenty of outdoor seating in the parkland.

Redevelop Richmond Station, move it closer so that it's entirely west of Punt Rd. Then renovate the 60s building on Swan st and keep an elevated connection over Swan St.
Oiv'e got two words for you ...

kath-day-knight-earrings-embed.jpg

"Sky rail"
You can walk anywhere you want under that :)

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Can someone who pays for Murdoch feel free share the main gist of it?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A five-star hotel built at the back of a revamped southern stand is part of a business case for a $1 billion MCG redevelopment.
And our iconic stadium would be able to seat 105,000 people – giving it the fifth highest capacity in the world – under the ambitious project being assessed by the state government.
The sweeping upgrade would likely begin in 2027, after the Rugby World Cup and Commonwealth Games.

LightTower4

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2004
No Fixed Address
AFL Club
Melbourne

Richmond Station is there primarily for residents and commuters who use it 10 times a week. It won't be moved West of Punt Road just to cater for G events. Besides, there already is an Exit West of Punt Road. Just get rid of that portion of Brunton Avenue between Punt Road & Jolimont Road for easier access to & from.
They won't renovate Richmond Station. It's 60 years old and is an eyesore. It'll be knocked down and rebuilt.
Hopefully Hollywood Pizza retain their shop when it's done. :pizza:

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Richmond Station is there primarily for residents and commuters who use it 10 times a week. It won't be moved West of Punt Road just to cater for G events. Besides, there already is an Exit West of Punt Road. Just get rid of that portion of Brunton Avenue between Punt Road & Jolimont Road for easier access to & from.
They won't renovate Richmond Station. It's 60 years old and is an eyesore. It'll be knocked down and rebuilt.
Hopefully Hollywood Pizza retain their shop when it's done. :pizza:
Forgot about that shop, may have been there once or twice when I was heavily drunk and needed some food to sober me up

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
I hate the idea of doing it in stages. Like 2004 - 2006 it means that three seasons are affected and at least two GFs. Better to do it in one hit like 1991.Sell off 1 x GF to Adelaide or Sydney. If you do it after 2027, it will be ready for 2029 finals and Ashes.

Also, if they really want to be the world’s best stadium and host event like the RWC or even soccer WC final, they need to have some kind of seats closer to rectangular sports like Optus does. They can build the new stand 1m above the grass so that 5 x rows of seats can go inside. It would at least look rectangular on TV. They then do the same on the north side in 2045 or whenever.

Last edited:
Or a short walk from flinders.

The issue with Marvel is they have created so many bottlenecks around it due to over developing the site. It’s easier getting a train at the G when there are 80k there compared to 30k at Marvel
I found it easier leaving Marvel with 25k there than leaving the MCG with 32k there?

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
Or a short walk from flinders.

The issue with Marvel is they have created so many bottlenecks around it due to over developing the site. It’s easier getting a train at the G when there are 80k there compared to 30k at Marvel
Totally disagree, the development around Docklands has made it a lot easier to move around. Prior to that NAB building going up and the additional walkway to the eastern wing, it was a shocker. Now, no issue at all.

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
Anyone incredulous the G has a capacity of 100,024 and an attendance figure of 100,024 last Saturday?
Do they count the horrible twenty seats or so near the scoreboards that get a view of a third of the ground in the capacity? Because they were empty grand final day. Although I guess you could buy those seats and just squeeze into standing room somewhere else, they weren't too strict on that on Saturday.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Ed seems like a good bloke, but I wouldn't cross the road to see him play for nothing! Annoyance is something you build up a tolerance to, like alcohol or a bad smell. Is Ed Shereen the icon of today? Does anyone really place him in the same league as the Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Who, Kinks, Prince and hundreds of others etc?
The 21st century and Technology has put music creation literally in the hands of anyone and Harry Styles, The Backstreet Boys and good ol' Ed have just played to record-breaking audiences, most of whom couldn't name more than two songs and probably haven't paid a cent for any of the albums? It's totally unmemorable. Still, playing to 100,000 plus is impressive, I guess rock bands simply don’t appeal to the mainstream masses anymore. The majority of people that listen to music today are looking for something that is catchy and easy to listen to, and rock bands just don’t fit that bill anymore.
Oh well, good luck to Mr. Ed, I think that old pessimist Gene Simmons has finally been proven right "Rock music is dead" and there’s a reason why rock isn’t as popular as it used to be: rock bands don’t sound like rock bands anymore. I can't complain really, Rock music ruled popular music for more than 60 years, but this dominance has been greatly eroded in the 21st century and it has been rusting since the late 90s.
Me, i'm off to the Cherry Bar and toast its downfall! I might even get thrown out, just for old times' sake. It looks like my greatest fear has arrived, i'm now an old fossil!

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
Those turnstiles are at New Allianz, Accor and Kogarah as far as I know. They're most likely for making mobile tickets work better at the gate

Those turnstiles are at New Allianz, Accor and Kogarah as far as I know. They're most likely for making mobile tickets work better at the gate
It appears to be this:
Mounted on one of these:
I do wonder long term they're thinking of using NFC for tickets, particularly things like memberships.

Back