Melbourne in the clear from AFL on governance issues

Remove this Banner Ad

AndyD

Club Legend
Dec 23, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl...nks-role-at-club/story-fni5f91a-1226872780382

The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority is investigating the possible use of banned substances at Melbourne, but the AFL’s investigation has found the Demons did not bring the game into disrepute, a charge that helped deliver savage penalties for Essendon.

The Demons failed to inform the AFL about Dank’s relationship with former club doctor Dan Bates at the end of the 2012 season.

And six months of text messages between the pair outlined a possible off-site injection program and the potential use of AOD-9604.

But the AFL has determined the club did not put the players’ health at risk and Bates’ relationship with Dank did not constitute governance failings, according to the AFL.

Last edited by a moderator:

No joint investigation, but ASADA is still processing evidence and may yet take action, which would probably force the AFL's hand.

Of course the AFL finds nothing if it can. They always try that strategy, unless/until they can't get away with it.

Banning Melbournes players would prob be a good thing.

Seriously, how could the AFL penalize Melbourne?

* Ban them from playing finals? As if they are going to make it.

* Fine them? Have they got any money? Probably not? So who ends up paying the fine?

* Take away draft picks? The AFL simply can't afford to make them less competitive.

Seriously, how could the AFL penalize Melbourne?

* Ban them from playing finals? As if they are going to make it.

* Fine them? Have they got any money? Probably not? So who ends up paying the fine?

* Take away draft picks? The AFL simply can't afford to make them less competitive.
Yeah. I shouldn't have to pay my mortgage. If the bank repossesses my house I'll be destitute, only the super rich should. In fact, I shouldn't have to rock up to work to get my paycheque, no way my employer can sack me, it'll leave me destitute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am very confused. Why was Trengove not interviewed by ASADA?

I thought he had been? But its ok there was no bad governance that lead to him taking a potentially banned drug, nor by the doctor failing to disclose his relationship with Dank even after the AFL requested so.

I thought he had been? But its ok there was no bad governance that lead to him taking a potentially banned drug, nor by the doctor failing to disclose his relationship with Dank even after the AFL requested so.

from the article:

Former Melbourne skipper Jack Trengove was named in text messages between Dank and Bates. Dank tells Bates, Trengove should go to the “pharmacy’’, which is understood to be the Como Compounding Pharmacy in South Yarra.

Trengove was not interviewed by ASADA.

yeah, interesting call on the governance isn't it?

The AFL put out a request to clubs to disclose any supplement use or anything pertaining to this. Melbourne decline to say anything. Then get busted they have a relationship with the person at the centre of the scandal. But no governance issues.

Yet the AFL trumpet that no other clubs have any issues with supplements, despite the 11 clubs having no single point of accountability. Mmm, ok. Anyway, I can understand the AFL wanting it to go away.

But aren't ASADA legally obliged to follow up on something like this?

Further, where is the HTB outrage? I mean, isn't AOD a drug banned by WADA that is performance enhancing?

Where is the HTB outrag that ASADA didn't even bother to interview someone who there seems a very strong circumstantial case, took AOD?

I would suggest ASADA aren't interested in AOD anymore (arent' pursuing it with EFC) therefore it's an interview they don't need.

I wonder what other injections they got from Dank.

Nothing like us of course...but one does wonder.

from the article:

yeah, interesting call on the governance isn't it?

The AFL put out a request to clubs to disclose any supplement use or anything pertaining to this. Melbourne decline to say anything. Then get busted they have a relationship with the person at the centre of the scandal. But no governance issues.

Yet the AFL trumpet that no other clubs have any issues with supplements, despite the 11 clubs having no single point of accountability. Mmm, ok. Anyway, I can understand the AFL wanting it to go away.

But aren't ASADA legally obliged to follow up on something like this?

Further, where is the HTB outrage? I mean, isn't AOD a drug banned by WADA that is performance enhancing?

Where is the HTB outrag that ASADA didn't even bother to interview someone who there seems a very strong circumstantial case, took AOD?

Surely they will get to him. Just like Bock. Has it been confirmed that Bock has been interviewed? I can't say for sure but wasn't one of the charges Dank faced for his time at the Gold Coast i.e. Bock?

Overall I see this as the problem with getting into bed with the AFL re self reporting. It has put the focus entirely on Essendon (which lets be honest it was going to be anyway because of the size the club + the names involved).

I would suggest ASADA aren't interested in AOD anymore (arent' pursuing it with EFC) therefore it's an interview they don't need.

I wonder what other injections they got from Dank.

Nothing like us of course...but one does wonder.

but they would still have to investigate him if he did use AOD as we know Dank didn't use just that. So IMO they can't go "AOD?...is that all you used?...ok then by" even if they were not pursuing AOD on its own.

Surely they will get to him. Just like Bock. Has it been confirmed that Bock has been interviewed? I can't say for sure but wasn't one of the charges Dank faced for his time at the Gold Coast i.e. Bock?

Overall I see this as the problem with getting into bed with the AFL re self reporting. It has put the focus entirely on Essendon (which lets be honest it was going to be anyway because of the size the club + the names involved).

Wanna bet?

maybe. I know it's just a summation by the journo, but that article said "was not interviewed", not "has not yet been interviewed". Maybe that's just in context of the AFL "investigation", but that should be nothing to do with ASADA.

Like I said, one would have thought they'd be obligated to.

It is also quite amusing the sound of crickets in this board in response to the revelation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back