Autopsy Melbourne is Aussie Rules heartland.

Remove this Banner Ad

and melbourne isn't a club of any significance

Creating the game not significant?

Oldest club in the world not significant?

At least we are a football club, enjoy that housing crash franchisee.

Seems to be This misconception that anywhere where something is Populari s heartland but it's not.

A heartland is the centre of something and with footy thats Melbourne.

So yeah,
Being the heartland of something doesn't mean you own it.

What does the term heartland really mean though? I'm struggling to understand why I should give a s**t.
In this instance it is being used to give some Victorians a feeling of superiority over, or greater ownership of the game than, the rest of us.

Exactly, "we own football, we created it, we let you play, you are a second class supporter" blah blah blah
It's a national game to me, always has been. It had to originate somewhere and it has to have differing levels of popularity in different areas too.

I grew up in Tassie, was there at York Park watching North Launceston from the late 60s onwards as a kid in the cold weather eating my pastie and sauce.

Been playing and following the game ever since. Put over 20 years' service into my local club here in Sydney. I feel as much ownership of the game as any Victorian would.

A multitude of people all around the country would have a similar story.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using the phrase "Heartland" in the first place.
Probably but I didn't create the thread.I have no problem with a sport having multiple hearts. I am confused with the assumption AFL is a person. Some animals have multiple hearts, in fact the large dinosaurs did.

Creating the game not significant?

Oldest club in the world not significant?

At least we are a football club, enjoy that housing crash franchisee.

You have a dillusional opinion of the MFC, the game was created by the English and Irish so if we want origins we go back there, the two leagues being the south Australuan and Victorian leagues were established in the same year or the two teams to first play were a couple if schools in Victoria al be it a copy of games played in Britain, not the MFC, no one is questioning that victoria was were the game was developed along with South Australua. But if we talk origin we are going back to the British isles.

In this instance it is being used to give some Victorians a feeling of superiority over, or greater ownership of the game than, the rest of us.

Precisely. If you aren't from Melbourne and don't barrack for a Melbourne club, you aren't really a fan of the sport in the same way a Melbourne fan is.

You just wouldn't understand. It's like a de-constructed latte or obsessing over avocado, it's a Melbourne thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have a dillusional opinion of the MFC, the game was created by the English and Irish so if we want origins we go back there, the two leagues being the south Australuan and Victorian leagues were established in the same year or the two teams to first play were a couple if schools in Victoria al be it a copy of games played in Britain, not the MFC, no one is questioning that victoria was were the game was developed along with South Australua. But if we talk origin we are going back to the British isles.

Oh wah wah wah Adelaide still sucks and my club is better than yours.

Oh wah wah wah Adelaide still sucks and my club is better than yours.

Now I truly know you are delusional, I actually feel sorry for you that you are supporting a team that has no idea what so ever and continue to make mistake after mistake. I know it's hard to take and the AFL are distracted ATM with developing their teams in the eastern stares, but when they are up and running they may start seeing if your incompetent club can be assisted in getting itself on some sort of reasonable level.

Precisely. If you aren't from Melbourne and don't barrack for a Melbourne club, you aren't really a fan of the sport in the same way a Melbourne fan is.

You just wouldn't understand. It's like a de-constructed latte or obsessing over avocado, it's a Melbourne thing.
You are precisely the type of Victorian I was referring to. :)

Now I truly know you are delusional, I actually feel sorry for you that you are supporting a team that has no idea what so ever and continue to make mistake after mistake. I know it's hard to take and the AFL are distracted ATM with developing their teams in the eastern stares, but when they are up and running they may start seeing if your incompetent club can be assisted in getting itself on some sort of reasonable level.

We're alright mate but I appreciate that due to the boring nature of interstate franchises and their utter lack of history or meaning, its only natural that you would become infatuated with the oldest and greatest club in the heartland of the game. The MFC are the heartbeat within that heartland whereas anything outside of Victoria has no meaning (this does not just apply to footy either)

My pleasure.

You validated my point beautifully.

:)

I am a natural at validating points. You see, in Melbourne everyone is more educated so we regularly have scholarly debates about art and food.

Do you know what art and food is? Do they have them where you're from?

You seem to think that they are incapable of supporting another club. Fitzroy proved that is possible.

Adam Muyt, author of a Fitzroy book called "Maroon and Blue" - published in 2006 - conducted hundreds of interviews with Fitzroy officials players, members and supporters for the book after the merger. He made the following conclusions:

- at least 40 percent of Fitzroy supporters have been lost to AFL football.
- between 5-10 percent of Fitzroy supporters now follow another code or lower levels of Australian Rules football as their primary football experience.
- no more than 5 percent of Fitzroy supporters now follow another AFL side, including a few hundred that went across to North Melbourne.
- over 40 percent of Fitzroy people support the Brisbane Lions, but may not be necessarily paid up members.

A 1998 survey conducted by the Fitzroy Football Club of their supporters and members showed only 27% of Fitzroy people following the Brisbane Lions. Fitzroy Football Club company secretary, Bill Atherton, said at the time, ‘…there’s a solid 70% block who still didn’t go across’.

I am a natural at validating points. You see, in Melbourne everyone is more educated so we regularly have scholarly debates about art and food.

Do you know what art and food is? Do they have them where you're from?
Sure, they are subjects that, in addition to football, you are ordinary at trolling people with. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back