Memory Lane... Crows vs Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Adelaide Board regulars who are well versed in the Memory Lane routine would no doubt be sick of these wordy intros, but spare a thought for posters from our purple rivals who would have no idea what the heckfire is going on.

(deep breath) Hello folks and welcome to the latest instalment of our Memory Lane series, a chance for us to look back on the moments from our past that have got the blood boiling, raised the hackles and broken the shackles.

Whilst probably not regarded as a major AFL rivalry, there have been enough interesting, intriguing and arousing moments during Adelade vs Fremantle clashes to at least warrant a thread.

So we'd like to invite fans from both clubs to dig into their memory banks to rediscover some nuggets from yesteryear. Fremantle highlights are welcome too so don't be shy. It doesn't just have to be that time we kept Freo to one goal (Pop Quiz, who kicked their goal? Highlight to reveal answer>>>Ryan Murphy<<<) or that time the Birdman leapt clear over a Freo player to take a mark at Subi.

I'll get the ball rolling with a couple of classic clashes.

Round 17 1998 at Subiaco... my favourite loss in Crows history (apart from St Kilda 2011). If you're ever going to get a Name-A-Game dvd for your birthday, go for this one. We start poorly and only have one goal at quarter time but fight our way back and are level at three quarter time. Darren Jarman is absolutely on FIRE, running amok all over the field on his way to 8 goals.

His game also included the most audacious mark I've seen, running back with the flight, eyes on the Fremantle player who was about to take a simple mark, then somehow stole the ball, guessing correctly where it was going to land judging by the way the Fremantle player set himself to mark. Never looked at the ball once. Just ridiculous skill. Of course the peanut brained umpire couldn't comprehend what had just occurred and paid a free against him, but it doesn't reduce the awesomeness. Jarman gave away 50 too for his reaction - god I loved him.

Late in the game with us just a point behind, Jarman marks 60 from goal on the right forward flank. Ignoring all leads he goes to unload a big barrel... and it slews off the side of the boot and lands about 25 rows back - out on the full. It was the best of Jarman, it was the blurst of Jarman.

I think this was the game where Smart launched a speculative snap towards goal on the siren only for it to be called out on the full. If it happened today there would be three dozen replays and a half hour delay while they worked out what happened. On the day it wasn't to be. Oh well, who cares - Jars was great and we won the flag.

Then we had the home qualifying final of 2006. We were under the pump going in having botched our previous home qualifying final agains the Saints and we started this game badly. Low scoring, down 3.8 to 5.2 at half time. We were still 4 points down at three quarter time but these were the glory days when there wasn't non-stop mindless drivel cranked through the PA system at high volume for every single second.

There was blessed silence.

During the silence, the crowd sparked in to action and the Adelaide chant echoed around the ground. It was defeaning, it was rousing, it was electric. The Crows came out fired up and we ended up winning by 30 points, kicking 5 goals to zip in the last quarter. (27 frees to 16... but us Adelaide fans don't mention that, especially Neil fans.)

This atmosphere wouldn't be possible now which is a shame. Every time the club does a member survey asking how they can get the crowd more involved I try to explain the importance of them SHUTTING THE F*** UP from time to time but the noise increses tenfold every season, so clearly they aren't listening.

Anyway, great game that history has buried due to the horror of a fortnight later.

Over to you guys.

That QF was the making of porps from memory. He had that amazing run down the win after marking deep in defence. Contested the mark at wing/hf, followed up with a 2nd effort, ran on, got the ball, laced out to Perrie on the lead. Was skillful, hard-working and with a classy finish. Amazing.

One of my favourite moments from that game was the Dirty Dancer putting Grover in the corner...

Then we had the home qualifying final of 2006. We were under the pump going in having botched our previous home qualifying final agains the Saints and we started this game badly. Low scoring, down 3.8 to 5.2 at half time. We were still 4 points down at three quarter time but these were the glory days when there wasn't non-stop mindless drivel cranked through the PA system at high volume for every single second.

There was blessed silence.

During the silence, the crowd sparked in to action and the Adelaide chant echoed around the ground. It was defeaning, it was rousing, it was electric. The Crows came out fired up and we ended up winning by 30 points, kicking 5 goals to zip in the last quarter. (27 frees to 16... but us Adelaide fans don't mention that, especially Neil fans.)

This atmosphere wouldn't be possible now which is a shame. Every time the club does a member survey asking how they can get the crowd more involved I try to explain the importance of them SHUTTING THE F*** UP from time to time but the noise increses tenfold every season, so clearly they aren't listening.

Anyway, great game that history has buried due to the horror of a fortnight later.

Over to you guys.

Woo hoo!

But seriously that game was such a disappointment...after nine straight wins Freo should have been right for this but did their usual last quarter fade...sigh

That QF was the making of porps from memory. He had that amazing run down the win after marking deep in defence. Contested the mark at wing/hf, followed up with a 2nd effort, ran on, got the ball, laced out to Perrie on the lead. Was skillful, hard-working and with a classy finish. Amazing.

One of my favourite moments from that game was the Dirty Dancer putting Grover in the corner...

Skip to 5:16 to see a young Porps at his best. Funny thing is they refer to him as being the most inexperienced player out there, but he played like a veteran even from his first few games.

One from semi-recent memory is our 1 point loss over there in 2007 (and incidentally, our third 1 point loss to Freo at Subi.)
A real arm wrestle of a game, less than a goal in it at every change. Only problem was we were playing 21 that day, and the maggots dragged Freo over the line with a Free Kick count of 21-9 their way.

All time favourite game is the drubbing in 2009 though. 130-13. I'd never seen an AFL team kept to a goal for the whole game before, and remember being disappointed when they got their one and only. Awesome match.

And then of course, who could forget Tyson's farewell game. Lots of controversy around it, but it got us a win, even if making milestone games special was frowned upon back then.

Ah, I remember the disappointment in the crowd when Freo scored in the game. Rode the Footy Express back with some Freo fans, they were philosophical about it. :p

I remember that Jars kicking 8 game as well Carl. Absolute rip snorter. Probably one of the best 'losing' feelings I've ever had when a team I was supporting lost a sporting contest. Have vague memories of Vardy having a fairly quiet game but firing with 2 great goals in the 2nd half. Roo was in everything to try and get us over the line.

That QF is one of my favourite sporting memories, that Adelaide chant, remembering it still gives me chills.

The 117 point win, I was in Malaysia, we were getting text updates from my uncle, could not believe the scoreline.

07 was our family trip to Perth. Pezza tumbles one through off his shin, scores are tied. Then they scored a point, so disappointing.

Edwards farewell game had that special feel about it. All the controversy leading up to it, then Tipp palms one of for Zooma to kick it through the sticks. He got a standing ovation after that goal.

A not so distant memory, coming home from work to see the last qtr of this years earlier game. That Talia non-decision was the biggest wtf moment. Then Matty Wright's brilliance :hearts:

I remember that Jars kicking 8 game as well Carl. Absolute rip snorter.

Anyone remember Jars spitting all over the umpire when that mark was disallowed? Accidentally, of course. He was so furious it just came frothing out of his mouth all over the umpire's shirt.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here - I reckon it was Grant Vernon. Now, was he the same guy that disallowed the Colbert mark?

Biglands' goal from the pocket in the first quarter of that final after Freo had jumped us... the biggest single team lifting act I have ever seen in footy. Who knew then how it would pan out for Biggles (and the team) a fortnight later...

Round 22 2001 - Us going over to Perth to play the 1-20 Dockers. St Kilda had pulled off a ridiculous upset over the Hawks, meaning all we had to do was hold serve against the wooden spooners to get a home final. Daniel Schell went berserk and Freo annhiliated us. The double whammy was that on the basis of that game, we went and traded the pick that ended up being Paul Medhurst for Schell...

This is a fun game. Seemed Burton and Jarman always used to destroy us. I get the feeling this Sloane fella will keep the tradition alive.

I always like playing Adelaide at Footy Park, because Pav plays for us, and you get the feeling Crows fans appreciate him a lot more than other teams do, and he likes playing there. He kicked 8 there in 2005 as part of a massive comeback that ultimately fell short by a goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smiled when I read about that game at Subi in 1998. It was the first Crows game I ever went too given we lived in Perth when I was a kid. The only thing I can remember clearly from it was Jarman's out on the full. Unfortunately had to wait until 2001 to see us win for the first time when we moved to Adelaide.

This is a fun game. Seemed Burton and Jarman always used to destroy us. I get the feeling this Sloane fella will keep the tradition alive.

I always like playing Adelaide at Footy Park, because Pav plays for us, and you get the feeling Crows fans appreciate him a lot more than other teams do, and he likes playing there. He kicked 8 there in 2005 as part of a massive comeback that ultimately fell short by a goal.
Agree but it is frustrating at times knowing we chose Ken Mcgregor over Pav. Mcgregor was very servicable but obviously no Pav... :(

BUMP:

I remember seeing the Rnd 7 1996 match against Fremantle at Football Park. It was very random in that my uncle came over on the day and asked if I wanted to go to the footy... It was a massive treat as I didn't get to go to that many games back then....

We spanked them by 96 points. I was only 12 and I was rather shattered that we didn't get to 100 points...

Kids, eh?

Brilliant, and so true.

There was a period in the early 2000s where they used to talk over the middle verse of the club song when the players ran out. It killed the atmosphere like your parents walking in on you masturbating.

we all pretty confident, right?

last 3 encounters, crows 81 scoring shots, freo 59. doesn't sound like much, but it suggests that we are the more aggressive unit. Also highlights freo's difficulty in scoring consistently.

at the park?... we will beat them.

I'm glad you bumped this, as I have several unrequited questions in this thread.

Unrequited questions - is that a tautology?

There's another one.....

"don't worry, you can count on Slippery Pete..."

Slippery-Pete.jpg

your name pete? or you just a Seinfeld fan?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back