Merged: Maxwell and that bump

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Collingwood to appeal Maxwell case

Fair enough. I would argue that he was negligent in not executing the bump in a manner that ensured his head didn't snap forward and clash with McGinnity's head, which was his evidence of what happened.

I think people are being a little over-dramatic. The bump isn't being outlawed, it just needs to be done properly. If Maxwell had tucked his head in better or slowed up a little, he (and McGinnity) would have been fine.

so i gather you never played footy?

to suggest this clearly states you never played the game coz to expect a player to be able to do this perfectly in the heat of a contest is insane. He did the best he could and executed the bump perfectly and unfortunately an accidental head clash occurred.

Bigfooty "Thug" Excuse

For all those who give Maxwell stick for bumping a "kid". Will you please take a good hard look at yourself. The "kid" is playing a mans game. He wants to play senior football at the highest level, its a part of the game. It makes no difference whether its a rookie or a veteran, everyone is on even playing ground in an AFL match. If you were playing senior footy would you "take it easy" on a kid coming through? Of course you wouldn't. If you say otherwise you do not no a thing about playing football.

Re: Bump is Offically Gone

Sorry if this has already been posted, (I only read the first page, concluded the rest was just whingeing) :p, but didn't Michael Johnson get 4 weeks in 07 for an even weaker bump?? Everyone said the bump was gone then. There are always knee-jerk reactions to stuff like this.

IMO I was on the other side of the ground at that game so granted my view of the incident wasn't as good as if 20m in front of me, but it looked thuggish at the time. Watching the replay, there wasn't much in it. I would have been just as happy if Maxwell had gone up to McGinnity after the game and just said it wasn't his intention for the final result, best of luck and Malthouse to say to Maxwell to just watch what you do, the scrutiny is just too high, especially as he is now the captain of a footy club, then move on.

Unfortunately the kid has a broken jaw, and the AFL tribunal likes to set precedents in the NAB cup.

Not just Collingwood by lots other opposition fans have expressed their disgust.

You used emotive criterior claiming that an 18yo kid broke his jaw.

I use phrases like injustice because that's just what it is. An injustice. Yes this is a moronic decision. That's just what it is. How a player can get rubbed out for an accidental clash of heads is beyond me.

True. But plenty of others have said they agree with the tribunal's decision. If you held a poll of non-Collingwood fans (and non-Eagles fans, to be completely fair) I reckon it'd come out 50/50.

I will say for the third time that I shouldn't have mentioned McGinnity's age.

So when someone is under the speed limit, no alcohol in their system, but an accident occurs, should they be punished?

Maxwell's hip and shoulder didn't connect with McGinnity's face, this is backed up by medical evidence. It was an accidental head clash.

Are we suspending players because they accidently bang heads now?
You have applied the analogy incorrectly. It is not the having car crash that is illegal. It is the speeding. Have you ever gotten off a fine by telling the cop it was an accident, you didn't mean to be going 40 clicks over the limit?? In the AFL they have banned head high contact. The fact he didn't mean to do it is irrelevant. Maxwell initiated the contact and hit the head. End of story!

A high tackle results in a free kick, but an accidental clash of heads results in suspension. Big difference, and it shouldn't be like that.

A suspension would be appropriate if Maxwell's shoulder made the high contact, but his bump was executed properly with an accidental head clash.

I know you've played sport, as have I. And we both know that accidents like this can happen and are apart of our game.

Outlaw malicious tackles and bumps that are head high, not proper bumps that accidently result in a head clash ffs.
This law is there to stop stuff like the Kosi incident. It has been around for a few years now. Plenty of people have been suspended because of it. Many on my own club. I didn't whinge and complain about it at the time because I can see the benefits of not cracking blokes in the head. This is there to ensure people do all they can to not crack blokes in the head. How else can you make people do this without having penalties for when they do?? Otherwise everyone will always claim it was an accident.

Suck it up and move on Collingwood. This is what every other club has been doing for the past 2 years.

Re: Bigfooty "Thug" Excuse

It's true. Gibbs was really being an honourable man by pulling out of a contest against a smaller Stephen Milne.

Maxwell should pull out of contests like Gibbs does.

Or the best ever tackle you and me have probably seen on Rooke in the pre lim in 2007.

I love that Collingwood supporters still bring up the tackle on Rooke, in a losing preliminary final side 18 months ago, as his career highlight.

Re: Bump is Offically Gone

No it's not.
But maybe the illegal one is much closer to extinction.
Watch a game from the 70's and watch a current one and tell me which game you get harder and more often in.

Would there be all this fuss had Maxwell been the one with the broken jaw?

These incidents will happen again and supporters from that club will be complaining that they were hard done by.

What's this duty of care crap? Are we going to stop cricketers bowling bouncers and golfers slicing balls into galleries.

Where does it stop?

"the AFL's match review panel ruled that in its view it was negligent to bump, no matter how legally executed, if contact results in injury."

:eek::eek::eek:

I'm speechless, that is totally insane.

How can we the supporters of the game, those that 100% control if it is successful or not, take it ****ing back :mad::mad:

I really hate it when unintelligent people use bad hypotheticals. Maxwell's bump was perfect. If he got him high than the high tackle would be a good parralel. What about Maxwell tackles a player as he is pushed into him unfotunately during his perfect tackle players clash heads... resulting in a broken jaw from the guy that is being tackled. Yep, how ludicrous would it be to rub Maxwell out for that!
I hate it when people claim to be intelligent and then can't understand simple rules.

Whether you agree or not with the rule is one thing, but the rule is in place and he clearly broke it. Therefore he is being punished. If you had a problem with the rule, where were your complaints 2 years ago when it came into law??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Rules question following Maxwell decision?

Probably the clearest explanation I've read from the pro-AFL side. Until the AFL develops mind-reading powers however, player intent will remain a massive grey area.

what, you dont think Maxwell's intent was clear? He saw an opportunity to take an opponent out of the game and he took it. If you do that and hurt the guy so bad he misses 3 months, that should be your sentence. If you cant bump someone without breaking their jaw, dont do it. Simple as that.

Oh, and yes I hate collingwood. But if Brett Kirk did that....no, Brett Kirk would never do that. If Barry Hall did that, I'd want him rubbed out too. And he would be. And noone would think twice about it.

so i gather you never played footy?

to suggest this clearly states you never played the game coz to expect a player to be able to do this perfectly in the heat of a contest is insane. He did the best he could and executed the bump perfectly and unfortunately an accidental head clash occurred.

There are plenty of bumps each week without head clashes occurring. To me that indicates that Maxwell executed it improperly, not that he was just unlucky as some are suggesting.

But you're right, I've played little footy and certainly not at any serious level.

True. But plenty of others have said they agree with the tribunal's decision. If you held a poll of non-Collingwood fans (and non-Eagles fans, to be completely fair) I reckon it'd come out 50/50.

I will say for the third time that I shouldn't have mentioned McGinnity's age.

I reckon opposition fans are about 80-20 in Maxwell's favour... Of the 20 per cent the VAST majority are trolls that add something like 'I hate Maxwell cause he is a sniper', to their arguments.

So when someone is under the speed limit, no alcohol in their system, but an accident occurs, should they be punished?

Maxwell's hip and shoulder didn't connect with McGinnity's face, this is backed up by medical evidence. It was an accidental head clash.

Are we suspending players because they accidently bang heads now?

A high tackle results in a free kick, but an accidental clash of heads results in suspension. Big difference, and it shouldn't be like that.

A suspension would be appropriate if Maxwell's shoulder made the high contact, but his bump was executed properly with an accidental head clash.

I know you've played sport, as have I. And we both know that accidents like this can happen and are apart of our game.

Outlaw malicious tackles and bumps that are head high, not proper bumps that accidently result in a head clash ffs.
If someone was not speeding and followed all the laws... and they are in an accident... it is impossible to be their fault. But if it is, then they will get punished.

and accidental clash of head? that's collingwood paid medical expert coming up with that. but even so, the rule is clear... no cant make contact with the head if you intend to bump... it doesn't matter if it's the head, shoulder or any other part of the body... one player made contract to the head of another player through a charging/bumping action... and it's as black and white in the rules book that it's not allowed.

players never intentionally bump someone with the intention of contacting with the head... but a last second movement, torque or just ill-judgment causes the bump to the head... however the aim of bumping was intentional... this is no different to maxwell's situation.

Bump all you want, as long as you dont get in contact with the head (accidental or not). If any team should know rules that are set in BLACK and WHITE is collingwood.

Kevin Barlett was also the first to say Alistair Clarkson would never win a premiership in the AFL as coach, and that Terry Wallace would take richmond to a flag in 4 yrs

Kevin Bartlet is on rules commitee... What does the above have to do with it... Try sticking to the subject , or is that to hard for u to do?

I reckon opposition fans are about 80-20 in Maxwell's favour... Of the 20 per cent the VAST majority are trolls that add something like 'I hate Maxwell cause he is a sniper', to their arguments.

I don't think it's anywhere near that. Feel free to start a poll though.

This law is there to stop stuff like the Kosi incident. It has been around for a few years now.

Still dont see what was wrong with the Giansiracusa bump. Stupid over reaction then, causing problems now and into the future.

Would there be all this fuss had Maxwell been the one with the broken jaw?

These incidents will happen again and supporters from that club will be complaining that they were hard done by.

What's this duty of care crap? Are we going to stop cricketers bowling bouncers and golfers slicing balls into galleries.

Where does it stop?

That is a very good analogy... point very well made.

If you are asking this question obviously you have no idea about our current road rules.

In Victoria if you are under the speed limit, no alcohol in your system, but an accident occurs that is your fault, then yes you will be punished.

You get charged with a maximum of Careless driving, which is 3 demerit points and a $270 fine.

mic

I hate it when people claim to be intelligent and then can't understand simple rules.

Whether you agree or not with the rule is one thing, but the rule is in place and he clearly broke it. Therefore he is being punished. If you had a problem with the rule, where were your complaints 2 years ago when it came into law??

You are joking aren't you.
Even people who have followed, played, reported on and even helped enforce the "simple" rules you speak of have trouble with the way the MRP and Tribunal enforce them.

FootyFreak is on the money.
The rules are far from simple. At the least the are open to interpretation and at worst they are so abstract as to be impossible to enforce with any consistency.
History would come down on the side of them being inconsistently enforced.

Maxwell got the same penalty for a legal bump that Setanta got for punching a guy in the head & kicking him in the nuts. Outrageous.

You have just proved how little you actually know about the system. Had maxwell have had a good record and taken early plea penalty it would have been much less prob 1-2 weeks, but as he has a bad record he got extra loading and then challanged instead of accepting early plea he got more again. The actual incident on a player with a clean record who took early plea would have been 1-2, but of course you are looking through black and white glasses, turn the colour on you fool!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back