Michael Christian is having a shocking run, he and the AFL need to do better

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt even MRO know how their own system works. Inconsistent and more leeway is given to the 'stars' in the game.

I think it works perfectly from an AFL perspective. Create confusing rules which allows them to manipulate results based on the outcome they want.

Lynch, Vlastuin, Grimes, Powell-Pepper, Dalhaus all get their suspensions/fines downgraded and that's just this week.

Surely his position is untenable?

Either the system is broke, he's incompetent at his job or both

Lynch, Vlastuin, Grimes, Powell-Pepper, Dalhaus all get their suspensions/fines downgraded and that's just this week.

incompetent. clubs have been pretty happy to appeal suspensions but not bothered with fines because its not worth the hassle. but i wouldnt be surprised if we see the clubs having lost faith in him completely and start appealing minor fines en mass as well.

i may be wrong but it seems 9/10 of his decisions get overturned at the tribunal.

He was absolutely right to charge Grimes and Vlastuin. The system clearly doesn’t work for these issues of staging.

We cannot have that level of staging in games. It is putrid.

The rest admittedly he ****ed it up.

He was absolutely right to charge Grimes and Vlastuin. The system clearly doesn’t work for these issues of staging.

We cannot have that level of staging in games. It is putrid.

The rest admittedly he f’ed it up.
running around posting the same crap in every thread are we? someone is obsessed

It has to be broken. The AFL came out and said they were going to end staging, yet then when two are charged they are let off
The AFL said they were going to put a stop to jumper punches and the like, yet when players get charged they are let off
Is there a more incompetent group of people in a organisation anywhere in the world, I doubt it

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Michael Christian should resign. He has no idea what he's doing, was too chicken to throw out Lynch's latest joke for fear of the media, and has proven himself to be a tool at a kids' match.

S Hocking should follow him out the door.

AFL also needs to suspend players based on intent, not outcome, of dangerous behaviour.

It has to be broken. The AFL came out and said they were going to end staging, yet then when two are charged they are let off
The AFL said they were going to put a stop to jumper punches and the like, yet when players get charged they are let off
Is there a more incompetent group of people in a organisation anywhere in the world, I doubt it

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hard to draw a line between staging, exaggerating etc. Personally I'd like to see the fines continue and escalate to suspensions for repeat offenders but it's hard to tell. There's nothing black and white about it.

So the AFL now either has to get rid of Christian or the Tribunal members.

But they will keep both. Because deep down they dont actually care about outcomes.

Please note: As previously communicated, Tribunal proceedings have been simplified for challenges to financial sanctions, where at the election of the charged player, a single legally trained jury member may decide the matter on the basis of written submissions only.

So a single person charged them, then a single person reviews and decides whether it should stick.

Its not even a Tribunal. Just a guy.

Christian should be told to have a rest and sent for corona testing. The stuff he's referring to the Tribunal is hopelessly inconsistent. The incident below was not even looked at according to the official report.

The media appears to be doing his job for him. Christian is bludging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How close is Long to the 16-game threshold and life suspension?

Edit: Apparently doesn't apply to AFL players as of last year.

Last edited:
Chose to bump and got Macrae high, how was he wrong to give Long a week?

You say ‘chose’
I say Macrae ran into him, it’s not a choice it’s incidental contact. Would like to see you get out of the way.

If he laid an actual bump he would be out cold but Long did his best to have as little impact as possible and that’s why Macrae was fine to play on.

Obviously not enough force, you must use common sense. This is the nature of contact sport, these things cannot be avoided and Long did his best to not injure him and he wasn’t hurt.

Long’s hit was graded as high contact - this is absolutely correct. No one can argue that.

But medium impact? In what way was that medium impact? Macrae not only got up immediately, but didn’t even seek medical attention, and played out the game.
You would expect medium impact would require a concussion, or at least being sent off for an assessment.

If the saints don’t appeal this, I’ll be very disappointed.

You say ‘chose’
I say Macrae ran into him, it’s not a choice it’s incidental contact. Would like to see you get out of the way.

If he laid an actual bump he would be out cold but Long did his best to have as little impact as possible and that’s why Macrae was fine to play on.

Obviously not enough force, you must use common sense. This is the nature of contact sport, these things cannot be avoided and Long did his best to not injure him and he wasn’t hurt.

Yes I said chose because he chose to bump instead of tackle and got Macrae high, he wears the consequences.

"Obviously not enough force"? Subjective given there's no threshold for suffering a concussion, Jack Viney copped a flying knee straight to the face a couple of weeks ago and bounced right back up.

I find it staggering that this case outrages you so much seeing as they are pretty common and with the same result.

It's pretty much the exact same as the Pickett bump on Heeney. St Kilda will have a pretty good case to say it's low impact. They AFL have made this system based on outcomes so it's a strange decision they've made.

MARLION PICKETT – LOW IMPACT ($1000 FINE)
"Isaac Heeney went to ground, but was only down for two or three seconds – maybe four seconds max – but he was able to get up and play on. Taking into account his medical report, the player reaction and the visual look of the incident … we thought the most appropriate grading was low in that particular case."

Long’s hit was graded as high contact - this is absolutely correct. No one can argue that.

But medium impact? In what way was that medium impact? Macrae not only got up immediately, but didn’t even seek medical attention, and played out the game.
You would expect medium impact would require a concussion, or at least being sent off for an assessment.

If the saints don’t appeal this, I’ll be very disappointed.
Will be hard to overturn, they'll justify the medium impact because it "had the potential for further harm" or some rubbish like that. Crozier similarly was reported earlier this year with medium impact when the player was fine like Macrae.

It's just typically inconsistent and they choose to apply what they want, when they want, rather than when they should.

Will be hard to overturn, they'll justify the medium impact because it "had the potential for further harm" or some rubbish like that. Crozier similarly was reported earlier this year with medium impact when the player was fine like Macrae.

It's just typically inconsistent and they choose to apply what they want, when they want, rather than when they should.
Crozier's was a tackle wasnt it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back