Past Michael Voss (1992-2006)

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Voss has also been voted the best player of the decade by the public. He finished with 3538 votes (28.92%). Hird finished 2nd with 2081 votes (17.0%).

Voss must wait a year for AFL Hall of Fame induction after ruling on his final season

• Andrew Hamilton and Robert Craddock
  • June 02, 2010 7:06PM
Voss, arguably the greatest Lion and most successful player of his generation, retired at the end of 2006 after 289 AFL games that included three premierships as captain between 2001-2003.

The 1996 Brownlow Medallist is considered to be an automatic inductee once he is eligible, which the rules state occurs after a player has been out of the game for three years.

However he remained on Brisbane's list for the 2007 season to avoid a salary cap breach and the league decided that final year should be added to his playing career.

Leigh Matthews

During my 20 years of coaching I had the real pleasure of working for the majority of the time with two great premiership captains - Tony Shaw at Collingwood and Michael Voss at the Brisbane Lions.

From close quarters I’ve seen the characteristics of these two truly great leaders. These include terrific example-setting, strong character and personality, a keen understanding of team mechanics, an ability to organise, great resilience under pressure and emphatic bravery.

In a physical contact game like football the captain must be above reproach when it comes to hardness at the contest. And Shaw and Voss certainly had this and all the aforementioned qualities.

Re: Michael Voss - Coach

Voss the best sledger: Aker

The best sledger in my time has to be my old captain - Lions coach Michael Voss.

He would not only test you with brute strength but also let you know every time you didn't go hard enough.

My favourite Vossy sledge was the first time he played against his younger brother Brett, who had moved to the Saints in the off-season. Michael wouldn't let up, but Brett started winning the battle because of the rules that exist at AFL level, unlike the backyard.

Brett was getting free kick after free kick for minor bumps off the ball and the Saints fans at the Telstra Dome ate it up, which just made Michael red with rage.

After halftime Michael had calmed down, and early in the third Brett had a 20m kick on goal straight in front. It was a classic soda. Couldn't miss.

Michael couldn't resist. He walked up behind him and said "My dad ----ed your mum". I nearly fell over laughing and Brett kicked it out on the full. It was priceless.

Re: Daniel Bradshaw (1996 - 2009)

I know that Daniel Bradshaw's name alone sparks much debate on this board these days, but I guess now he will always be remembered as the very last Brisbane Bear to be on an AFL list:thumbsu:

We should rookie list Vossy next year and elevate him in round 22 so he can re-retire as a senior listed player. ;)

Link

''Hopefully a few, at least I hope he has,'' Voss said when asked how many years Brown might have left. The coach added that he had never been great with predictions, and his own career had finished much sooner than he thought. ''It can end pretty quickly.''

Re: Garry 'Flea' Wilson (1971 - 1984)

Interesting that Mike has the following listed -

Mike Sheahan's top 50

19. Michael Voss
Born: July 7, 1975
1992-2006: Brisbane Lions
Games: 289 Goals: 245

20. James Hird
Born: February 4, 1973
1992-2007: Essendon
Games: 253 Goals: 343

34. Nathan Buckley
Born: July 26, 1972
1993: Brisbane Bears 1994-2007: Collingwood
Games: 280 Goals: 284

The doyen has spoken, the debate is ended :D:cool:

Youngest Bears Players

Michael Voss - Rd 18, 1992 v Fitzroy at Princes Park - 17 years, 11 days
Matthew Ah Mat - Rd 21, 1991 v Essendon at MCG - 17 years, 44 days
Justin Leppitsch - Rd 1, 1993 v Nth Melb at MCG - 17 years, 177 days
Marcus Ashcroft - Rd 9, 1989 v North Melb at MCG - 17 years, 243 days
Daniel Bradshaw - Rd 18 v Richmond, Optus Oval - 17 years, 257 days

Link to article

Voss made his debut as a 16-year-old for the battling Brisbane Bears in 1992 when he was guaranteed a mere $500 a game."It's incredible isn't it - this game is growing pretty fast," the 1996 Brownlow Medallist said.
"To think a (broadcast) deal that was $780 million five years ago would go up another $500 million is extraordinary.
"My first contract that I received was $500 for a loss and $1500 for a win.
"And I thought when I went to school and bought a Big M and a sausage roll for lunch time every single day and shout my mates a sausage roll too was pretty significant."

voss18.jpg

Link to article

As a player Voss was a deadest champion. Just look at his honours – triple premiership skipper, Brownlow medallist, numerous club best and fairest awards - the list goes on.

Voss possessed the attributes all the great players have and was feared by his opponents.

He was the archetypal figure of an uncompromising Lions outfit that created history with three consecutive premierships from 2001-03.

voss27.jpg

Re: Michael Voss - Coach

I could watch this over and over! Go Vossy...all these w***ers criticising you have so quickly forgotten your strength in adversity.

Re: Garry 'Flea' Wilson (1971 - 1984)

When you see and remember all that he did for us - i know why he was my hero and nothing or no one comes close. Love the man - always will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy Record

A nine-year-old looks around nervously, unsure of his surroundings, but a reassuring figure bends down and asks, "Are you all right, mate?"

The setting was the visitors' race at the MCG, minutes before the 2001 AFL Grand Final, and Matthew Stin, the mascot for the Brisbane Lions that day, looked up at Michael Voss and nodded his head slowly.

Stin recalled the encounter recently at a function to commemorate the 10th anniverary of the Lions' first premiership since the merger between Fitzroy and the Bears.

He still shakes his head in wonder when he thinks about it. "It has really stuck with," he says of the exchange he shared with his childhood hero. "For someone who's got so much on his mind, to take time out to talk to a nine-year-old kid and make sure I was OK was pretty amazing."

voss.jpg

Barlow will return as good as ever: Voss
CRAIG O'DONOGHUE
The West Australian
May 31, 2011, 6:54 am

Voss broke his leg in round 13, 1998 and returned through Queensland’s State league in round one, 1999. The triple premiership captain quickly reminded AFL fans of his talent and earned All-Australian selection at the end of that year.

“The main thing I told him when we were talking at the Brownlow Medal was to respect the injury because it’s a major one. Sometimes you feel the need to push hard but you can’t with this one. Time is the only thing that can heal it.”

michaelvoss.jpg

Ironic isnt it - Buckley left Brisbane to taste team success and ended up with pretty much all the individual success a player in the AFL can have - something he mainly didn't want. Vossy got the best of both worlds.

Two greats to miss Hall of Fame
By AAP .
8 June 2011 07:34PM EST

AT least two of the AFL modern greats must miss out on Hall Of Fame selection when this year's inductions are announced on Thursday.
James Hird, Nathan Buckley, Robert Harvey, Mark Ricciuto, Glenn Archer and Chris Grant all retired in 2007, while Michael Voss bowed out a year earlier.
Under Hall Of Fame criteria, they became eligible for selection three years after they stopped playing.
They are surely certain inductees within the next few years.
But changes to the Hall Of Fame voting criteria last year means there can be a maximum of six inductees at a time.

voss50.jpg

Hall of Fame embraces stars
By Luke Holmesby
8:22 PM Thu 09 Jun, 2011

THE MAN who led the Brisbane Lions to three consecutive premierships has been inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame.

Michael Voss, who has since become the coach of his beloved Lions, was one of the first inducted to the Hall of Fame on Thursday night - in the first year he was eligible.

Voss debuted for the struggling Brisbane Bears in 1992 after dominating for Queensland in what was then known as the Teal Cup for the best players aged under 17 in Australia. He kicked 14 goals in one game for Queensland and was playing senior AFL football within months.

Voss won the Bears' club best and fairest aged 20 in 1995 and followed up with another the following season. That year he also shared the Brownlow Medal with Essendon's James Hird.

voss56.jpg

Hall of Fame discussion thread

Interview with Michael Voss
By Michael Whiting
8:40 PM Thu 09 Jun, 2011

Voss had a steel rod down his leg and likened the pain from running with it to the vibration you get in your hands when you hit two steel bars together. Every step, every time. While relying on a fitness base built up over years to get him through, Voss said the whole exercise was emotionally draining.

"I know it sounds really quite strange but I see it as a bit of an achievement. It won't be on my CV anywhere, but to be able to get over a significant injury like that, that hurt a lot," he said.

"I thought If they cut my sock off, my leg was going to drop off, that's the state of mind I was in at the time, so a little disorientated. It probably took every bit of 18 months to get over that even though I did play in 1999. One of the better achievements I hold right up there is my 1999 All Australian jumper because I played through a lot of pain and a lot of discomfort that year and not many people would know that."

voss54.jpg

Angus Johnson

"On behalf of the Brisbane Lions Board and our entire organisation, I would like to congratulate Michael Voss, his wife Donna and their family on this outstanding and historic achievement," Mr Johnson said.

"It's self evident that Michael was the greatest player the Brisbane Lions has produced. But he is also a tremendous ambassador, not only for our Club, but also the game of AFL
in Queensland and Australia."

"As the first Brisbane Lions player to be inducted into the AFL's Hall of Fame, Michael Voss should be seen by every young Queenslander as a shining example of what can be achieved, should they be willing to work as hard as he did," he said.

voss55.jpg

Hall of Fame hails the king
  • Andrew Hamilton
  • June 10, 2011 12:00AM
Voss identifies the 2002 grand final as his favourite. No one who saw it will forget how he tore the game from Collingwood's grasp in a final-quarter performance considered one of the finest seen on the sport's biggest stage.
"My individual highlight was the 2002 grand final and being able to have a great battle with Nathan Buckley, he got on top early but I felt like I got on top in the end, particularly in that final quarter, and had an impact on the result," he says.
"The thing I am most proud of was I captained over 200 games of AFL, that is an achievement done by very few.
"I hold that very high, and when you get to lift the premiership cup as a captain that is the pinnacle for a footballer I believe."

michaelvoss.jpg

Michael Voss walks off the MCG pitch after winning the 2002 grand final.

Voss driven like no other player
  • Jon Ralph
  • June 10, 2011 12:00AM
"There was a build-up to that (the Scott Burns incident). Leigh (Matthews) had a hand in it because a year or two earlier I had hurt my ribs in Perth and I got a phone call from Leigh on the Monday.
"He said when you get hurt you have to get up. I was filthy on him for that. Couldn't he tell I was hurting?"But the lasting impression I got was that you don't stay down. Leaders don't stay on the ground.
"You certainly don't pre-plan getting shoulder-charged.
"When it happened, there was no doubt Collingwood were making a physical play and there was something going off in my head that was telling me, 'Get up, get up, get up'. So you do straight away and we kicked a goal out of it, but when I was in that moment, in my head I knew I had to get up."

michaelvoss.jpg

Midfield kings
By Adam McNicol
10:16 PM Thu 09 Jun, 2011

AFL FOOTBAL was dominated by key forwards in the 1990s. North Melbourne superstar Wayne Carey was the king, while Tony Lockett, Jason Dunstall, Gary Ablett Snr and Stephen Kernahan broke records as they booted bags of goals.

But brilliant midfielders were the headline-grabbers in the first decade of the new millennium. And of those, there were none better than Nathan Buckley, James Hird, Michael Voss and Mark Ricciuto. Given all members of this quartet debuted within a year of each other, and also retired within 12 months of each other, it was fitting they were inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame on the same night.

Voss debuted when he ran out for the Brisbane Bears against Fitzroy at Princes Park in round 18 of '92. It didn't take long for onlookers to realise the Bears and their coach Robert Walls had found a star in the making. Voss began the game by picking up nine possessions in the first quarter and finished with 26.

voss.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back