Past Michael Voss (1992-2006)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Michael Voss Appreciation Thread - all merged

Voss won't coach in 2008

Article from:

August 01, 2007 12:00am

THREE-TIME Brisbane premiership captain Michael Voss has put his AFL coaching aspirations on hold until at least 2009.
Voss was considered the short-priced favourite to take over as Carlton's fulltime coach next year after the Blues sacked Denis Pagan last week.

But Voss told Carlton officials today that he had decided not to seek a coaching position in 2008.

Carlton chief executive Greg Swann said he appreciated and respected Voss's decision.

"We have previously advised that we are concentrating on a short-list of candidates for the senior coaching role in 2008 and our focus remains on this short-list,'' said Swann.

"Michael's decision does not alter the club's position or the process, it means there is one less candidate for consideration.''

Current Blues caretaker coach Brett Ratten is now the favourite to be offered the fulltime position.

Ratten took charge of the 14th-placed Blues for the first time last weekend in the creditable 10-point loss to St Kilda.

Essendon, Fremantle and Melbourne are also searching for new coaches.

Voss is set to continue working in the media next year before again considering when and whether he wants to enter the coaching ranks.

- AAP

Source: http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22171177-11088,00.html

Voss invaluable to any senior coach: Sheedy

7:43 PM Wed 1 August, 2007

By Matt Burgan
Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

News

FOUR-TIME flag coach Kevin Sheedy has not ruled out enticing triple Brisbane Lions premiership captain Michael Voss to a future coaching panel if he lands another job as a senior coach.​
Speaking at Windy Hill on the same day Voss pulled out of the senior coaching race, Sheedy said the champion would be worth sounding out.
"That's one less thing I'll have to worry about,” Sheedy said. “Thanks, Vossy. I'd like to send a cheerio and I knew you'd reward me for picking you for Australia last year. I love you.”
With the love and cheerios out of his system, Sheedy said Voss’s experience as a player would make him an invaluable resource.
"If you haven't played footy for 30 years, you've got to keep learning off the players who have just left the footy field, and that's what we've been able to do at this club."
Sheedy said it would have been a tough initiation for Voss to step straight into a senior coaching gig.
"These days it probably is [a tough initiation], but it wasn't that much when I got this job and there were only two TV cameras around Australia in those days, so it didn't matter," he said.
"But in the end, I know that one of the toughest parts of coaching is when your club isn't having a great year and may not have made the finals, whether you can stand the heat."
Regarding his own coaching future, Sheedy did not rule out bringing Essendon assistant coaches with him if he landed another AFL job, although he added he would not raid the club.
"I wouldn't be sitting down there and just raiding their coaches, but obviously [Essendon chief executive] Peter Jackson did mention there would be an enormous amount of change at this club," Sheedy said.
"I have no problem finding talented people, I can assure you. They're everywhere in Australia, talented people, and we keep walking past them.
"I remember Mark Williams getting let go by Glenelg footy club and he coached an AFL premiership, and Denis Pagan couldn't even get the seconds job at the Kangaroos, so he went on to coach the Kangaroos after coaching at Essendon."

Source: http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=208&newsId=48452

Credit to Voss for realising that he didn't want to coach yet. He could have bowed to speculation and media pressure and got a gig, but he knows there's no point unless you're 100% committed. What some of the nuffies on the main board are saying is totally stupid.

wbFOOTYvoss,2.jpg

Michael Voss at the Under-16 state championship on the Gold Coast.
Photo: Steve Holland

Voss decides it's too big a jump

Caroline Wilson | August 2, 2007

MICHAEL Voss has revealed he could forever regret turning his back on coaching's most intriguing and extensive job market but said that he had realised the risk of moving into the role was too bold "even for me".

Yesterday's announcement by AFL coaching's hottest property came when it did, Voss said, because "I was still toing and froing and it didn't feel right. I didn't think it would be fair to anyone with me saying: 'Will I or won't I?'

"Maybe I never will be ready. I don't know really whether you are ever ready until you've actually sat in the chair with all the pressures and commitments coaching demands but I know I will try to do it one day.
Maybe I won't get another opportunity like this for four or five years.

"I just know it has to be right for all of my body, not just parts of it. You have to be calculated and bold and competitive and passionate to do the job and right now it was too big a risk, even for me and particularly for the toll on my family. But it's definitely something I want to keep pursuing."

Voss' decision to walk away from contending four senior coaching positions has left the race to fill those roles more predictable.

Brett Ratten has firmed at Carlton but the Blues' shortlist still includes Collingwood assistant Guy McKenna, who will not talk to Carlton until after this weekend's game, both parties deeming such an interview inappropriate under the circumstances.

Neither have the Blues ruled out Mark Thompson, indicating the club would be happy to put off making a final decision until after September when Thompson's finals campaign with Geelong is completed.

With Mark Harvey firming at Fremantle and Dean Laidley now almost certain to re-sign with the Kangaroos, both Melbourne — which will today talk to Ratten, McKenna and Kevin Sheedy — and Essendon remain open. Neale Daniher's only option appears to be the Bombers.

Voss, who contacted Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle and Melbourne yesterday, said of his decision: "I told them I needed more time and that they didn't need to be looking at me until I had completely committed to coaching. You would hope they were a little disappointed (laughing), my ego's big enough to hope that anyway.

"One thing I do know now that I've made the decision is that there's no guarantee I'll coach in 2009 and that's a risk I have to take, but I truly believe I need more time and the time is not right now, which is tough because of the great jobs on offer.

"That's the only reason I was considering it, to tell you the truth — when there are great clubs looking for a coach I had to give that some thought. Perhaps I've let go a great opportunity. It was a really, really tough call to make."

Voss' indecision over his immediate future made him the subject of some rare criticism from the football industry in recent days — Hawthorn director and Triple M's Jason Dunstall led the charge four days ago, advising the triple premiership captain to make up his mind. A headline in his home-town newspaper the Courier Mail last week — "Show Me The Money" — is understood to have offended the recently retired player, who believed he had been misrepresented.

"I've never been one to read into the press too much," Voss said. "I've been around long enough to know that there is good press and there is bad press. If you believe you've handled something in the correct way, then that should be enough.

"Was I right or wrong in the way I went about this? That's for others to perceive. I have never been anything but honest about what I feel and I still believe I can coach. I have found the views of others about whether or not I or anyone else can coach without the traditional apprenticeship pretty interesting, I must say."

Voss scoffed at the inevitable speculation that Brisbane could consider him as a successor to Matthews, whose contract expires at the end of next season. "I have too much respect for Leigh Matthews to even talk about that," he said.

This article is about Brett, but you get another insight into Vossy
wbFOOTYvoss_wideweb__470x345,2.jpg

His brother's minder. Brett Voss lines up on Michael, a "scary" proposition.
Photo: Vince Caligiuri

The AFL's other Vossy

Martin Flanagan | August 3, 2007

HERE is a Brett Voss moment. The Saints are playing the Kangaroos earlier this year. Voss is stationary, a pack charging towards him led by a Kangaroo with the ball. Voss takes him head-on in a tackle, holding the ball to his opponent as they fall to the ground. The free kick is his but he is unable to take it — he has what he calls "wobbly feet".

A St Kilda teammate kicks the ball downfield as Voss is led off by trainers. Denis Cometti, in one of his more memorable utterances for season '07, says: "Right now, Voss is looking at Monets." This, strictly speaking, is not correct. Cometti was implying Voss' sight had been reduced to mere impressionism. In fact, he had a clear circle at the centre of his vision, although outside the circle everything was moving.

The man who takes Voss' kick moves the ball forward, a mark is accepted by another St Kilda player and, suddenly, there's Voss again, running past on legs bending at the wrong angles, to take the ball and kick downfield. He was off for another quarter after that. "You have to sit down for it (the affected vision) to pass. Exercise only prolongs it."

That piece of play showed part of what Brett Voss shares with his brother, Michael — a similar degree of courage. They are similar in other ways, too, like the steadiness of their thinking and their ability to read the play and be present at vital moments. But Brett is not explosive like Michael was.

Michael Voss could project himself in such a way that he was as large as the game in which he was playing. Brett Voss' older brother has been one of the great players of the era. It must have been a big shadow to follow.

Voss is doing an MBA at Victoria University. Among his teammates he has a reputation for being a larrikin, but, for our interview, his manner is quiet and reflective. He says, when asked, he always knew he was talented at football. He also knew his brother was extremely talented. "That's just the way it was."

As kids, they played together in the backyard and "had a ton of blues". Brett says Michael, 2½ years his elder, cracked it if he lost. It didn't happen often but there was one game where he occasionally beat his older brother, shooting for goal — the goals being two skinny pine trees outside their house when they shifted to Queensland. Brett was then nine, Michael 12.

He says he understood when Michael was in his teens that he was "pretty much the best player in the state". In his early days, he says, being Michael Voss' brother worked for him since it meant he was noticed. He thought he was good enough to play league football and so did his parents. "I couldn't be forgiving of myself," he says. "I wanted to prove I could be an AFL footballer."

Every step along the way was a struggle. Michael simultaneously played for Queensland's under-15, 16 and 17 teams. Brett made the under-15 side but "didn't have a good carnival". He wasn't picked in the under-17 team. He made it to the Lions through their reserves side, his first AFL game coming when he was picked as an emergency for a match against Port Adelaide in Adelaide and Craig McRae dropped out through injury. His regret was that his parents couldn't be there. "At the same time, I thought 'I can play this'."

He admits Lions coach Leigh Matthews saw him as a player "with deficiencies", and after five years with Brisbane he had played only 35 games, mostly from the bench. In one match, his playing time was as brief as 43 seconds. He then had the conversation with his brother that is the most important of his football life. By this time Michael was the undisputed leader of one of the best teams of all time. Michael said, as captain, that Brett gave depth to the list and it was in the interests of the club to have him stay. But, as his brother, he thought he should go.

At St Kilda, for the first time, he found a coach, Malcolm Blight, who believed in him. With Blight's departure, he had to struggle to win the trust and confidence of his replacement, Grant Thomas, as he has had to do again with new coach Ross Lyon. Last week, he was playing in the VFL. However, his St Kilda years have seen him emerge as a substantial player in his own right.

At Brisbane, he had been a bench player used at the edges of games — on the flanks and wings. At St Kilda, he became a defender who dropped into the heart of the defence, doing the thinking, initiating counter-attacks, playing above his height and weight. In a team with a lack of pace, his one deficiency has been a lack of pace, which he has countered with his great ability to read a game. Not only as tough as his brother, in my opinion. As football smart. I enjoyed watching Michael Voss immensely, but I've enjoyed watching his brother, too — a brave player who battled the odds in such a cool and thinking way. Nor was he without style.

A number of times he played on his brother. What was that like? "The first time it was scary because I know what Michael can do." Did you talk? "No, Michael doesn't talk on the field. He enters that other zone." Still, in the times they played on one another, "he only kicked one goal on me". Small smile.

He is proudest of the final the Saints won against Adelaide in Adelaide in 2005, with him at full-back and Sam Fisher, the only other regular defender who was available, at centre half-back. "Two weeks later we lost the preliminary final to Sydney." He shrugs. If he'd stayed in Brisbane, he might, with luck, have played in one of the three premierships. Instead, he has had a career in his own right. He's happy with his decision. He "hopes" to get back into the senior team.

He believes Michael can be a good coach — "the only question, what is the best preparation for the job". He believes he could coach too, but doubts he will. He is conscious of the sacrifices made by his wife Carly when, pregnant with the second of their three children, she left her Brisbane family and came to Melbourne. Besides, one of the things he's looking forward to when his playing days are over "is not being known any more". "As far as footy's concerned, I'll just be one of the dads."
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/afl/the-afls-other-vossy/2007/07/31/1185648091800.html

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22229066-5003410,00.html

Michael Voss voted among AFL greats

Article from:
sm_sundaymail.gif

By Damien Stannard
August 12, 2007 12:00am

HIS playing days are behind him and coaching career on hold, but the honours keep flowing for former Brisbane Lions skipper Michael Voss.

The triple premiership captain was last night named among some of the AFL and VFL's greats on a list of the top 10 players in the Lions' history.

Each of the Lions' 1353 players or descendants of those who have died, voted on the greatest players from each decade from 1897 to 2006.

Voss (1997-2006), Paul Roos (1987-1996) and Fitzroy club legend Kevin Murray (1957-1966) were automatic selections announced at the club's Kings of the Pride reunion dinner held at the Melbourne Convention Centre.

So too was Haydn Bunton – a triple Brownlow Medallist – who was paired with another Brownlow winner, Allan Ruthven, as the premier players of the 1927-1956 era.

Two Percys – Percy Trotter and Percy Parratt – were honoured for their contributions from 1897-1926.

John Murphy (1967-1976), father of Carlton midfielder Marc, and Garry Wilson (1977-86) also made the respected list.

Brisbane Bears players were not forgotten.

Former captain and coach Roger Merrett (1987-1996) was voted the best Bear from a shortlist that included Marcus Ashcroft, Richard Champion, John Gastev, Scott McIvor and Michael McLean.

To commemorate the reunion, former 80s Fitzroy player turned artist Jamie Cooper, unveiled his club collage which encapsulates the great players and moments that make up the united history of the Fitzroy, Bears and Lions football clubs.

0,,5606543,00.jpg
LIONS top 10 ... Michael Voss.

I still love the Lions with every fibre of my being, but its just not quite the same without our greatest champion out there anymore.

It still hasn't really sunk in for me. I don't quite 'believe' that Voss won't be back......it still just seems like he is like Bradshaw - i won't see him in 2007, but he will be back in 2008.

Next year when he doesn't come back is when it will really sink in i think!!

It still hasn't really sunk in for me. I don't quite 'believe' that Voss won't be back......it still just seems like he is like Bradshaw - i won't see him in 2007, but he will be back in 2008.

Next year when he doesn't come back is when it will really sink in i think!!
It's okay for men to cry. Let it out.

Im hoping he comes back to the Lions in some sort of coaching capacity soon, like Leppa, his knowledge for our young midfielders would be massive.

i suspected Vossy was great in the back of my mind I wondered how great. Some of my mates suggested he was the Wally Lewis of the afl. I wonder if was in that leauge. I went to a game in the late ninties cant remember who was playing it was at the gabba; The ball was surrounded by and dived on by players a ball up for sure vossy threw himself in the pack and somehow ripped the ball of them and shot a tenty metre or so handpass to some one in the clear

My other clear memory of voosy when i had the great priveledge of going to the 2003 final when vosy started on the ground and led his troups front the front like a champion

When he ran back on the ground in the last minute and the whole mcg chanted vossy I was crying because then I knew he was better than wally

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here you go guys. Enjoy. :thumbsu:

Voss vs Burns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xh5N6yPa9U

[YOUTUBE]-xh5N6yPa9U[/YOUTUBE]

Brilliant!! Thanks for that Browndog. Cop that Burns you thug!! Class triumphs over crass. All we need now is for Browny to dish out some retribution in '08. (Remember Browny's old man's prophetic words along the lines of "I wasn't too happy with Burns, but he'll get it when he least expects it").
"Vengeance is Browny's - he will repay, sayeth the Footy Father":cool:

Just received a phone call from Vossy. :eek:

Apparently he's going to phone me every week. :eek::eek:

Vossy's Vodafone Voice Blast
- a recorded message.

His top 8 is very optimistic.

He likes the look of Lachie whom he coached at AIS last year.

From an Essendon supporters point of veiw, this bloke was just sensational to watch, one of my favourite players of all time. Tough, relentless and skilled. :thumbsu:

"Voss goes up to Burns and says Cop that I'm the best player in the league!"

love your work Rexy.

Different video Konstas. :p

Wasn't Rex that said that anyway. Rex is 3AW.

Re: Michael Voss (Coach)

Link

Voss, Lethal named as 'legends'
8:17 AM Fri 31 October, 2008

NEW BRISBANE Lions coach Michael Voss and his predecessor Leigh Matthews have been named among Queensland's seven inaugural footballing 'legends'.

Voss and the recently-departed Lions mentor were included along homegrown son Jason Dunstall in AFL Queensland's honorary list.

The AFLQ unveiled the magnificent seven on Thursday at the Gabba as it launched the Queensland Australian Football Hall of Fame.

The Hall of Fame honours 150 players, coaches, umpires, administrators, teams and events in the game's 150th year.

voss75wd3.jpg

Link

Captain of the Queensland Team of the Century, he is widely regarded as Queensland's greatest AFL player, and one of the best players in the game in the early 21st century.

vossny2.jpg

Re: Jed Adcock

I once bought Vossy a drink at Mary St Nightclub in Brisbane. It was 1995 I think (before he won a Brownlow anyway). It was dollar drinks on a Thursday night. I had spoken to him for about 5 minutes and then apologised for disturbing him. He said it didn't worry him because he no-one ever knew who he was. That changed slightly....

Re: Michael Voss - Coach

Link

Walking the borderline between arrogance and self-belief
Caroline Wilson
February 19, 2009

MICHAEL VOSS was just 19 and a veteran of 34 AFL games when, on the eve of the 1995 season, he was asked to tip that year's club champion. The teenager nominated himself.
Fourteen years, three premierships and five best-and-fairests later, Voss still remembers the only half-humorous scorn of his teammates. "I really copped it," he said. "But I'm just like that. If you believe you can do something you share it.

michaelvossup1.jpg

Brisbane Lions coach Michael Voss at the Gabba.

Michael Voss rated the best player of the decade

Mark Robinson's top 10 players of the decade
Article from: Mark Robinson
November 15, 2009 11:00pm

Voss was the Maximus Aurelius of the AFL. He led by courage and commitment and was a three-time premiership captain and twice AFL MVP.
He was brutal at the contest and man and used his body for impact and intimidation. At the end of games, when interviewed on TV, it seemed butter wouldn't melt in his mouth. He was Jekyll and Hyde. Hyde gets him No. 1
At club level, he won three best-and-fairests, twice in premiership years. Can there be greater individual honour?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back