Autopsy Misfiring Dogs choke a top 4 spot v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Another game pissed away by pathetic goalkicking, dumb decision making and a lack of coaching and tactical adjustments.

I don’t care we won 5 in a row, a super talented list is being completely wasted.

Gold Coast's supporter has been saying the same thing about Stewie Dew all season.

The Suns have a very talented list that is poorly coached - swap Ross Lyon & Dew and the Suns are top 8 and the Saints bottom 4.

As for the frustrating Bulldog team - this was a case of AFL football being 90% mental and 10% physical. Many in the team played like the result was a fait accompli (especially when we got off to a flyer), and the work ethic and smart football decisions went out the window. This why we aren't a super talented team - too many players in the team are not smart footballers, revert to being individuals trying to win it themselves, or panic under pressure when a calm head is required.

Yet despite all this we still only lost by 7 points against a very dangerous team, are still well in the race for a finals and possible top 4 position, and were let off the hook because everyone around us (except Port) lost as well.

You put Norty in the back half and you do not need the extra tall other than Jones.

Surround him with Dale, JJ, Ed, Doc and Caleb and all he has to do most of the time is farm it off after another towering intercept mark!!
Regarding the last point, I'm surprised we don't do this more often. It's no secret we have the best small to medium defenders in the league. Why don't we have the likes of Ed, Dale, Caleb & JJ receiving a handpass when the likes of Jones, Keath, Bruce or Gardner have taken a mark?

We should be employing this tactic every single time, not occasionally.

If one of our skilled runners is 20m away, work hard towards the ball to put themselves in a position for a handball receive. Force their opponent to work just as hard by running with them. At worst it creates space.

Regarding the last point, I'm surprised we don't do this more often. It's no secret we have the best small to medium defenders in the league. Why don't we have the likes of Ed, Dale, Caleb & JJ receiving a handpass when the likes of Jones, Keath, Bruce or Gardner have taken a mark?

If one of our skilled runners is 20m away, work hard towards the ball to put themselves in a position for a handball receive. Force their opponent to work just as hard by running with them. At worst it creates space.
It's not inconceivable that this might happen more in the back half of the season if they were not wanting to show their hand too early.

Also, some of the weather conditions encountered in the last 9 rounds were arguably not conducive to it.

Last edited:
Is it possible that the matchup statistics are counted for when the ball is turned over or from the last stoppage..?

Ie the volley on the goal square, had Gardner left his man to contest this ball? Was he actually defending two people and only went towards Luko after the the ball's trajectory was known?

I'm not saying he wasn't guarding him (although I'd certainly take CD's recorded events of the game as pretty close to 100%) but it could be a little bit more complex than just who is closest to who when a goal is kicked.
Yeah it could be and that is most probably the case for the goalsquare volley. But for the other 2 he was literally beaten in a 1 on 1 marking contest

It actually the opposite.

Our opponents usually leave Gardner unmanned so we chip sideways to him. He is the one who has to either pull the trigger on a short kick he knows he probably won't pull off so he'll go long to a contest because it's safer.

Marra was hot all night and from the second quarter onwards we bombed it on Naughton's head. ******* infuriating.

Naughton is frustrating this year
As frustrating as he can be, I’d still have Naughts over Harry McKay 👍. He’ll get it together soon. Darcy coming back in the second half could also really boost us another level so plenty of season to go!

I’d kill for a Dickson right now to straighten us up!
We need to get the ball to Cody more inside 50. He's been completely off but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt due to his persistent early groin injuries. 36.10 last year is simply outstanding conversion and on par with anyone Dicko produced.

Where did this narrative come from that GCS are a decent team? Ok they beat us and deservedly so. But at the start of the season no one had them in the top half of the ladder let alone the eight. Their best finish in the last six years is twelfth, forget finals and even after beating us they are still not ahead of the win loss ledger.
This was a terrible loss for us and there are no excuses for the coaches and players. The club needs to harden up.

Where did this narrative come from that GCS are a decent team? Ok they beat us and deservedly so. But at the start of the season no one had them in the top half of the ladder let alone the eight. Their best finish in the last six years is twelfth, forget finals and even after beating us they are still not ahead of the win loss ledger.
This was a terrible loss for us and there are no excuses for the coaches and players. The club needs to harden up.
They have a strong contested midfield and always match up well against us

Not sure it was a "terrible" loss. Should have won but GC have also beaten Geelong and should have beaten Melbourne.

They were also in the game against Brisbane in the last quarter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're decent. That means average, right?

Have you seen my power rankings?

The top half of the ladder is the eight.

And I think that the Suns are a decent team this year. They are far from easy beats.

Accepting mediocrity the lot of you.

😂😂😂

My point is that we shouldn’t be so accepting of losing to a team that will not play finals this year and has lost more games than they have won. I still say we need a harder edge.

Accepting mediocrity the lot of you.

😂😂😂

My point is that we shouldn’t be so accepting of losing to a team that will not play finals this year and has lost more games than they have won. I still say we need a harder edge.
Everyone is disappointed with the loss but we are 6-1 against teams below us, so I don't think we have been bad overall against teams we should be beating.

We need to get the ball to Cody more inside 50. He's been completely off but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt due to his persistent early groin injuries. 36.10 last year is simply outstanding conversion and on par with anyone Dicko produced.
Exactly, I would get Arty Jones closer to goal too. Very creative around goals!

Oliver Gigacz do you have stats for possession retention rate (or score conversion) when specific players are targeted I50?

Yep, here is the score percentage from our forward 50 targets from R11, I only started archiving them last week so I don't have anything prior to that...

Targets Inside 50 (Score % From Those Targets)

17 - No target/rushed
14 - Ugle-Hagen (21%)
11 - Naughton (0%)
5 - Weightman (20%)
4 - Lobb (50%)
2 - English (50%)
2 - Scott (100%)
1 - Bontempelli (100%)
1 - McNeil (0%)
1 - Williams (0%)

Apart from a couple of teams, there are no easy beats in the league. Pretty much most teams are decent - it's a very even league for the most part.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back