News Mitch Cleary stood down indefinitely - AFL have really stepped in it this time

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm just amazed that so many believed that the AFL website had any proper independence from the AFL authority. Shows the AFL have done pretty well on the PR front to convince so many.
Fixtures, injuries and stats are probably correct. I’d be even weary about those lol.

Hey guys,

As I'm sure alot of you are aware, journalist Mitch Cleary has been sacked over a retweet of Brooke Cotchin's publicly shared tweet.

This is on the same weekend as Nathan Buckley attending a tennis match, and four clubs breaching protocols in different ways.

Here we have probably one of the finest journalists in the AFL industry, who won an award for it, and he is sacked for retweeting publicly available info. This is despite journos outing Conor McKenna, Steele Sidebottom, Jack Steven (when he was the victim) and the numerous other invasions of privacy that morally lesser media personas like Ralph, Browne and McGuire have committed time and time again.

As someone pointed out on Twitter, the fact that the vast majority of posters/personalities/fellow journos etc. are steadfastly defending him and his character, is a testament to the way he's conducted himself throughout his career.

The AFL will have a real troubling time defending this, considering how their media arm is supposed to be 'independent.'

What do people think will be the outcome here? Will the AFL double down, or will they try to save face and fire someone down the chain and rehire Mitch (if he even wants to come back)?

In a day where the majority of Victoria is about to enter Stage 4 lockdown and experience the closest thing to martial law in living memory, firing an honourable journo for posting something about someone who broke the rules selfishly, is about as tone-deaf as you can get to the wider feeling in the country - especially in Victoria.

Thoughts?

He was stood down not sacked, maybe learn the basic facts before starting an outrage post.

Also, he didn't retweet a publicly shared tweet. He tweeted a screenshot of a deleted instagram post (and was the first journalist to do so).

Judging by AFL Media's reaction, such an action might be a breach of their policy/standards.

Hey guys,

As I'm sure alot of you are aware, journalist Mitch Cleary has been sacked over a retweet of Brooke Cotchin's publicly shared tweet.

This is on the same weekend as Nathan Buckley attending a tennis match, and four clubs breaching protocols in different ways.

Here we have probably one of the finest journalists in the AFL industry, who won an award for it, and he is sacked for retweeting publicly available info. This is despite journos outing Conor McKenna, Steele Sidebottom, Jack Steven (when he was the victim) and the numerous other invasions of privacy that morally lesser media personas like Ralph, Browne and McGuire have committed time and time again.

As someone pointed out on Twitter, the fact that the vast majority of posters/personalities/fellow journos etc. are steadfastly defending him and his character, is a testament to the way he's conducted himself throughout his career.

Thoughts?

Lots of speculation and no reasons given. no one really seems to know if hes been stood down or fired. For all we know AFL Media journos have been told reporting on players wives isnt the done thing by the folks at AFL Media. AFL Media isnt supposed to be the Heraldsun or The Age reporting on whatever gets a headline to sell a paper.

Report from The Heraldsun says they understand that " the AFL viewed him as an AFL employee ahead of his obligations as a journalist". So who knows what internal guidelines they work under.

The AFL will have a real troubling time defending this, considering how their media arm is supposed to be 'independent.

They'll have trouble only because the non AFL media are outraged.

What do people think will be the outcome here? Will the AFL double down, or will they try to save face and fire someone down the chain and rehire Mitch (if he even wants to come back)?

Was he even fired?

In a day where the majority of Victoria is about to enter Stage 4 lockdown and experience the closest thing to martial law in living memory, firing an honourable journo for posting something about someone who broke the rules selfishly, is about as tone-deaf as you can get to the wider feeling in the country - especially in Victoria.

They arent even in Victoria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And sometimes people don't get sacked.

So he hasn't been sacked, understand? He MIGHT be sacked in the future. So right now... he isn't sacked, and this thread title is fake news and misleading.

This is actually fair enough, but it's just poor terminology, not a fabricated story, lol. Using 'fake news' is just such a catch cry now for anything people even slightly disagree with. I agree the parts I've amended were misleading, but it's not 'fake.' It was just poorly worded.

I've amended it anyway.

I can understand if he took the photo and uploaded it himself, but Brooke uploaded it on instagram. She outed herself not Cleary. AFL shot its own integrity.

There might be something there about AFL media not wanting to be a gossip magazine style platform, but it looks far more like the AFL got a text from Trent saying he will take Richmond out of the hub, go home and torpedo the competition because his wife was embarrassed for something she did.

I'm just amazed that so many believed that the AFL website had any proper independence from the AFL authority. Shows the AFL have done pretty well on the PR front to convince so many.

Yeah, I can’t really understand the shock.

The guy works for the AFL. He’s not a “journalist”, even if he is good at his job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back