Mitch Georgiades v Chad Cornes

Remove this Banner Ad

It isn't just Georgiades' goal kicking that is the problem. His ground skills also need some serious work. At this stage he is too much of a mark and kick player something that Chad Cornes was not. Chad could take a contested mark but he was also pretty competitive when the ball hit the deck.

Georgiades is out of contract at the end of the year and if his problems are not fixed up this year and if West Coast are still interested we should get something for him while we can. At this stage I do not see Mitch as a must keep player, however I am not writing him off and if he has a good season that view may change.

It isn't just Georgiades' goal kicking that is the problem. His ground skills also need some serious work. At this stage he is too much of a mark and kick player something that Chad Cornes was not. Chad could take a contested mark but he was also pretty competitive when the ball hit the deck.

Georgiades is out of contract at the end of the year and if his problems are not fixed up this year and if West Coast are still interested we should get something for him while we can. At this stage I do not see Mitch as a must keep player, however I am not writing him off and if he has a good season that view may change.
I think he is a great natural forward.. yes his kicking needs work (Schulz should be working with him) and must get better at the ground ball but I believe he will be great 40 to 60 goal forward.

Todd Marshall's goal kicking was still poor 1 season back.

The technique for Mitch is there, it's solid. It's not a Johnny Butcher like ball drop. It's all just mental, just like it was for Todd.

Mind you our greatest CHF also had the same damn issue for most of his career too.

Mitch is a forward and has just has to be persisted with.

I don't understand the desire to start shifting a natural forward like Mitch this early in his career. Todd has taken till his 6th year to click. Mitch has 3 more in hand at that rate.

Is anyone else seeing a bit of a similarity in career projections to date?

Could it end the same way with Mitch moving to CHB?

With Charlie, Todd, Finlayson, Lord, Teakle, Visintini and Skully all up forward and not much height down back it might be a possibility.

Why did Chad move back when he did anyway? I can't remember if it was a KPD injury or just a trial of a positional change.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

a good call in terms of comparison

I've heard AFL commentators Georgie will play further up the ground (I assumed towards the wing) due to his athleticism. but perhaps CHB might be his calling.

Personally I don't rate speccie marks unless your a freak like modra or capper who takes the grab more often than not. Georgie should be leading and demanding the ball if he wants to remain a forward.

The technique for Mitch is there, it's solid. It's not a Johnny Butcher like ball drop. It's all just mental, just like it was for Todd.

Mind you our greatest CHF also had the same damn issue for most of his career too.

I don't understand the desire to start shifting a natural forward like Mitch this early in his career. Todd has taken till his 6th year to click. Mitch has 3 more in hand at that rate.

Tredders kicks were strong enough but he had the annoying habit of just missing however sometimes Georgiades cannot make the distance from 35 metres out. You are probably right it is a mental issue and it seems to be a problem that has only recently appeared. As has been posted back in 2021 Georgiades had reasonable accuracy and he booted 4.0 on a couple of occasions whatever the problem it has to be sorted quickly because we don't have the luxury of persistence.

It isn't just Mitch's kicking as his recovery when he doesn't mark is not good either, certainly nowhere near as good as a Tredrea or Chad Cornes. As it stands Georgiades is purely a mark and kick player. I think the idea of playing Mitch in defence came from last week's trial when he was moved further up the ground and looked impressive. A few games further up the ground in the SANFL might give him the confidence he needs. I can remember Richmond playing Matthew Richardson on the wing late in his career and it worked, Choco tried the same with Tredders at times and he did not do badly. Tredders ball skills were actually quite good so maybe the same tactic might work with Georgiades.

Not so sure about Mitch's technique at present.

There was one shot for goal I think during the 3rd quarter? where he looked like he had completely forgotten how to kick.

His confidence looks shot.

Marshall is the best Forward in the AFL and probably only needs a couple of quarters this week for the rest of the game I would rest Marshall and leave Mitch on his own inside 50 and keep finding ways for him to have shots until he gets his confidence back.

Massive overreactions going on here re Mitch after one down year when he still averaged over a goal a game.

He has elite traits and will eventually put it all together - hes only 21 and has kicked 60 goals already.

Yeah let’s * around with a young kpp by moving him back or just trading him out, then spend the next 5 off-seasons throwing money at kfs who don’t want to come here and drafting kf after kf who bust cause the hit rate on kfs is ridiculously low. If you remove tredrea as a pick we got as a new incoming club to the comp we’ve gotten Marshall and Georgiades from the following what? 20 something drafts?

That’s not a good hit rate..

Why would we think we should give up on Mitch as a kpf and we can get a better version immediately.

If kfs were so easy to find, we would have found more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my mind Marshall and Mitch are already a very good combo.

We would like to unearth a 3rd option to play with them and we’ve got some possibles on the list.

Persisting is the answer here.

The only thing we can’t help is if Mitch decides he wants back to wa, and then, so be it, we get the best deal we can.

Chad was an underrated forward. He should have been AA in 2002. Was a big risk moving him to CHB because at the time we had the two best contested marking forwards in the game and he was the perfect foil for Treds. Either one could roam up the field with one staying closer to goal.

It worked though, obviously. He totally changed the way we attacked and arguably changed the way the game was played with intercept marking becoming such a big thing. And in the end with Thurstans/White adding 32 goals and Lade/Brogan adding 45 resting forward, we didn't lose much goalscoring power either.

Harsh on Lockwood, 50 games and looked dominant in some of those, unfortunately never quite reaching the heights expected, but far from a failure.

One more to a list of 5-6 Tredrea, Cornes, Marshall and Georgiadies of ‘key forwards drafted’ doesn’t change the argument, just don’t discredit the lad.

Add Schultz and Butcher as two who played Key Forward and Lockwood still stacks up as one of our best in the AFL Era. Cummins ‘97 was great.

No way I'm moving Mitch back but was and is I very interesting comparison.

If we were offered Cox for Georgiades, would anyone make that trade?

Note: don't want to lose Mitch, Freo wouldn't want to trade their best KPD while in contention, Cox only OOC in 2024.

Note: don't want to lose Mitch, Freo wouldn't want to trade their best KPD while in contention, Cox only OOC in 2024.

Would be worth considering if Mitch wants out

Cox is a free agent in 2024, so he will be a pre-agent at the end of 2023, and if freo thinks he’s gonna move they’ll happily deal him now rather than chance a band 3 pick that would be likely.

Would I do it if (and it’s a big if) Mitch asked to go there?

No. a straight swap hell no.

A 22 year old kpf for a key defender a year out from free agency. Nah, key defenders of decent quality aren’t that hard to come by. Pasini came off the rookie list and he looks ready to step up for us.

Having said that, there’s an argument for a bird in the hand etc, Cox is an established player and would hold down a spot for us for a while.

I don’t see why Cox would want to leave freo if he doesn’t come up as trade bait. Could easily be a one club player at a club with a good young side.

Mitch is up in the air for me, there’s no reason to believe he would want to leave us, we have a great record holding players, and the team (west coast) that reportedly would be his target is starting a rebuild…. But until he’s signed he could be going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back