Mitch McGovern (please read OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Media are all over the McGovern situation .....throw enough rumors out there .....one has to be correct

I think that's a pretty natural progression in the process. Carlton roll in half way through the year with a good sized financial offer. Gov requests a trade so his manager asks what we want and it's a lot more than what Carlton have told him they're prepared to pay. But he would have known that anyway. He goes back and says you're way off, Adelaide will need much more, ie look at how they handled the CC and Lever trades. Carlton background the media to see if a little public pressure can impact our expectations. We go to other clubs who will pay something close to our asking price and Gov something close to Carlton's salary offer. Carlton know that Gov's option is to stay with us, which he doesn't want to do, or head to a club for maybe a bit less cash but who will get a deal done on day 1 of trade fortnight. If they want him, they know that they'll have to pay, so they either walk away or return to the discussion with a little more realism.

I have a feeling this will be the worst off season for the crows yet

Lose Gov to carlton for a late 1st, no big fish, Port get some class & Burton becomes CEO

All faith is lost....

Now because i am always wrong (or slighlty full of BS) lets hope good fortune comes

I'm fine with Burton becoming CEO - at least it would get him out of the damn football department.

They may be actually, and it's just us pragmatically making sure we have a back up with the McGovern situation in case pick 1 falls through.

I don't see this year's pick 1 as being realistically on the table. The player has been identified and they'd no doubt have had lots of discussions with him and committed to him. There's 17 clubs that they can trade next year's first to and get something that goes into getting it done this year and still leaves them with a fair bit of change.

I'm fine with Burton becoming CEO - at least it would get him out of the damn football department.
I wouldn't be as he then would damage all aspects of AFC. Would be a disaster for the club as he has no decent leadership skills.

Big mistake to promote incompetent people to move them. The best decision is to sack them or move them into a position fitting of their skills & experience.

What did CARL say? ....we've turned over 30+ players in the last 4 years ? .....so if they do have do what you say, what's that say about their rebuild plan? .....epic fail ?

Seems that way to me. I doubt they expected to lose decent to good experienced players along the way and when they did they did SFA to replace them. There's no reason not to address this in this trade period, going to the draft for more youth would be idiotic. Bolton won't see 2020 if he doesn't get some experience into the 22 and he'd be pushing hard to address their lack of quality mid 20's players. SOS is a knob who doesn't know how to trade players in. Even when he does, he just trades in GWS players that he took in a draft.

It was interesting to see Tyson Goldsack's statements on the Sunday Game Day. He articulated very well to the club medicos / physios, etc. about his wish to come back earlier than they'd planned. He felt he knew his body better than they did, and eventually got his way. If as Gov has purportedly said, we ignored his wishes last year leading into the GF, then all the more blame to our fitness regime in my view. Mind you, Gov probably didn't have the tenure of service that Goldsack had, so may not have been as convincing. BTW, if this is the only reason he's asked for a trade, then that's pretty poor form.

He's probably got Trigg as a mentor. Don't forget that it was only in Triggy's last year that he even created the footy director role for Noble. Prior to that, there was a gulf between the hands on footy ops and CEO. There's no doubt that Trigg filled some of the gap by getting involved in footy ops.

It was interesting to see Tyson Goldsack's statements on the Sunday Game Day. He articulated very well to the club medicos / physios, etc. about his wish to come back earlier than they'd planned. He felt he knew his body better than they did, and eventually got his way. If as Gov has purportedly said, we ignored his wishes last year leading into the GF, then all the more blame to our fitness regime in my view. Mind you, Gov probably didn't have the tenure of service that Goldsack had, so may not have been as convincing. BTW, if this is the only reason he's asked for a trade, then that's pretty poor form.

I wouldn't begrudge any player that has lost faith in the footy dept leaving.

Watching those 2 clips, does channel 7 really understand anything?

Sad to say, threy are just guessing.
I think you are right, they are fishing trying to get Carlton to up there offer. Which is poor as it gets people’s hope up based off a rumour of a once in a life time deal. Reminds me of the Tippet saga

We are investing in elite youth with an eye resetting our club, we don’t need mercenaries. With our later picks we will add role players. This gives us a really strong core when you put it together with our 4 top 10 picks from 2017.

FWIW I hope you ream the Blues

Wait a second. Are you suggesting that McGovern felt he was good to play in the GF and we overruled him? That we opted to play Otten instead?
That can't be right surely?

I think you are right, they are fishing trying to get Carlton to up there offer. Which is poor as it gets people’s hope up based off a rumour of a once in a life time deal. Reminds me of the Tippet saga

We are investing in elite youth with an eye resetting our club, we don’t need mercenaries. With our later picks we will add role players. This gives us a really strong core when you put it together with our 4 top 10 picks from 2017.

FWIW I hope you ream the Blues

Forget the draft picks and deals; McGovern would be your ideal type of player to recruit.

He is young, versatile, can got forward and back, contested marking beasts and a great shot for goal.

He will be a 50 goal forward and with Street would straighten you up.

Lukosius is still 3 years away.

Wait a second. Are you suggesting that McGovern felt he was good to play in the GF and we overruled him? That we opted to play Otten instead?

Goldsack is a 31 year old with close to to 200 gamer. McGovern is a 23 year with 50 games experience.

It’s about building a body of trust and understanding what you can and can not do. McGovern doesn’t have that trust yet

We've also never drafted an AFL-ready player, at least as far back as I can recall, we've always taken players either not fit enough or not big enough, so it's hard to say we'll continue on that path should we draft a player who is ready.

Smith was pretty much AFL ready when we got him. He played R1 the following year and never really looked back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be as he then would damage all aspects of AFC. Would be a disaster for the club as he has no decent leadership skills.

Big mistake to promote incompetent people to move them. The best decision is to sack them or move them into a position fitting of their skills & experience.
He’s too old to play in our forward line though

They’ve always had picks before us because they were usually shit and lower down the ladder.:D But with the season we’ve endured, the AFC openly chasing the SA guns, I can see it happening, with a Port wankfest article by co-writers Kornes and Rucci to follow.
Has Port ever gotten a player that we wanted?

No I believe the couple weeks leading up to his hamstring injury Gov complained of hamstring soreness and wanted to rest, however the Medicos opted to play him. Wasn’t that the story?

Forget the draft picks and deals; McGovern would be your ideal type of player to recruit.

He is young, versatile, can got forward and back, contested marking beasts and a great shot for goal.

He will be a 50 goal forward and with Street would straighten you up.

Lukosius is still 3 years away.

Yes but he is elite, MM is not. If you had to pick between the 2 who would you pick?

Plus we all Know this is a ruse, he is off to Carlton. Screw em over, they deserve it

So now we're saying the club SHOULD be playing hurt players, if the player says they're ready to go??

Poor old Scott Thompson and Danger copped a lot of unnecessary shit, if that's the case.

Goldsack is a 31 year old with close to to 200 gamer. McGovern is a 23 year with 50 games experience.

It’s about building a body of trust and understanding what you can and can not do. McGovern doesn’t have that trust yet
He wanted to play in a grand final. Fair enough. That's why you have independent staff, as players would be terrible judges of their own readiness.

Yes but he is elite, MM is not. If you had to pick between the 2 who would you pick?

Plus we all Know this is a ruse, he is off to Carlton. Screw em over, they deserve it
I dont believe it's a ruse, nor do I think itll be a straight swap of 3 for MM. He is the ideal player to have while you develop Lukosius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back