Mitch McGovern

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't agree. 8 goals sounds a lot but 4 defensive intercepts to prevent a goal and then score one of your own is all it takes to make that up, not to mention momentum shifts as a result.
We went in too tall and slow, and Otten was one of the problems. Gov was an injury risk though and so wasn't one of the solutions.
We went in unchanged which made total sense at the time and to bring in anyone who may have suspect fitness would have been seen as an extremely brave move.

Unfortunately I think we played our Grand Final a week early. I also think the club may have been aware of this but could do little to focus the players for the job ahead. In the end we lost contested possession and the clearances and the forward line could only manage 8 goals. Our leadership group were poor and generally we were out coached.

The loss was not due to any one single selection (or non selection). It was a number of factors including the fact Richmond (and Martin) had hit peak form.

He couldn't move to the point he stated he completed a fitness test on the Thursday before?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not super critical of the Otten over McGovern selection, however, the Otten selection was definitely a decision that hurt us. As it did in the middle of the season.

Were you at the final training session at Adelaide Oval?

I went specifically to see if Mitch was ready to go. The “fitness test” consisted of someone kicking the ball to Mitch on a slow lead and Mitch kicking the ball back. He never got out of a jog and my impression was the “fitness test” was more PR than a genuine attempt for him to put his hand up for selection. He did not join the rest of the squad for what was essentially a light Captain’s run.

You did not have to be a high performance expert to know he was a couple of week’s away from being available. After a couple of minutes I had accepted that he would not be playing and a couple of minutes later he put the cue in the rack.

Did anyone else who witnessed the “fitness test’ see it differently?

I went specifically to see if Mitch was ready to go. The “fitness test” consisted of someone kicking the ball to Mitch on a slow lead and Mitch kicking the ball back. He never got out of a jog and my impression was the “fitness test” was more PR than a genuine attempt for him to put his hand up for selection. He did not join the rest of the squad for what was essentially a light Captain’s run.

You did not have to be a high performance expert to know he was a couple of week’s away from being available. After a couple of minutes I had accepted that he would not be playing and a couple of minutes later he put the cue in the rack.

Exactly, he was never going to play. He’s a sook, if he has left because he didn’t get selected in a GF side and hence has chosen Carlton then he is a nut case as well as a sook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it, he's gone, we just need to let it go. We got McAdam and McHenry for McGovin. surely 2 Mac's are better than 1.
Hopefully 2 Mc’s without a high likelihood of pinging a hammy again at the most importuned time. Let’s face it McGovern was getting hammie’s pretty regularly.

Fine, but I'm not buying it. He's a dead set sook and bad for team morale.

Was he that prior to wanting out between re-contracting and end of season? I'm not arguing that he's not a sook or became bad for team morale, but I'm going to have to assume he wasn't when we chose to extend him for 3 years.

We can argue whether he's justified to spit his chewey over the GF selection decision that was made. And whilst I know that this is a Gov bashing thread, it's pretty obvious why he cracked the sass. You can all still bag him for the reasons that you mentioned but I know that it's a bit harder for most of you to think that a club decision may have been the singular precursor that resulted in his character flaw rearing its head.

And I know that selectors never ever make a mistake. Even the VB selection ahead of Harto against a tall Roos forward line where we lost by less than a goal was a master stroke in maximising running power. That VB played only 2 more pity games mid season is irrelevant.

I'm not fussed that Gov left, but I'm not such a club apologist that I must believe that he's a pure arse hat and had no reasons to leave other than money that he had already knocked back when he re-signed. Even if his actual reason makes him a bit of an arse hat.

Added to that his hammy was still not ready for 100% involvement of day 1 pre season about 6 wks later !

His selection was one of the reasons. After all, it made our forward line too slow to have an effective amount of defensive pressure.

Mitch at his fitness would have done better however we would have been better suited to go for another small.
Mitch couldn’t run couldn’t train and wasn’t ready 6 was later

Don’t be buying his delusional story on this one

Does anyone else find it a bit strange that some of the posters who (with justification) ranted about the incompetence of the AFC playing injured players in the Grand Final, are now complaining that we didn’t take a chance and play McGovern in the GF :rolleyes:.

Hammy isn't a degrading type injury that can be played poorly through. It's an on/off scenario. It's right or it's not. Gov thought he was right based upon his run throughs. He was overruled in order to not make Otto an unlucky out whilst we went in with a hobbling Talia who was embarrassed and TMT who could barely crack 50% game time the previous week with his calf.

I'm not saying Gov isn't a douche for not being team first. But our selectors and senior players don't have that culture, so I can understand why he'd crack the shits.

And, I'm not arguing for his selection, I'm suggesting, as I did months ago, why I reckon his attitude changed in those couple of months. And my view is that it's not because he's a complete w***er after cash. But rather a decision went against him and his character hasn't been able to reconcile that and he's then spent a season being an arse around the club.

Not if it meant a long serving, good guy incumbent was an unlucky out. Have you not realised how our selection culture impacts selection?
You keep changing the goalposts though. You say "we have a culture of picking unfit players". There is evidence that supports that's theory.

You now say Gov was well within his rights because he felt he was fit to play.... if he was close we WOULD have played him due to point 1. Its clear as day we rated Gov, we paid him huge overs to try to keep him, that's where your argument falls down.

Hammy isn't a degrading type injury that can be played poorly through. It's an on/off scenario. It's right or it's not. Gov thought he was right based upon his run throughs. He was overruled in order to not make Otto an unlucky out whilst we went in with a hobbling Talia who was embarrassed and TMT who could barely crack 50% game time the previous week with his calf.

I'm not saying Gov isn't a douche for not being team first. But our selectors and senior players don't have that culture, so I can understand why he'd crack the shits.

And, I'm not arguing for his selection, I'm suggesting, as I did months ago, why I reckon his attitude changed in those couple of months. And my view is that it's not because he's a complete w***er after cash. But rather a decision went against him and his character hasn't been able to reconcile that and he's then spent a season being an arse around the club.

Most players who though they might be a chance to play in a Grand Final would train flat out. If the hammy rips then so be it, you recover over the pre-season. Mitch was cruisin around like he had a leave pass to day one of the pre-season.

At the time I was surprised that he didn’t make more of an effort but I assumed that he had realised he was no chance and just went through the motions. Whatever reasons he had for selecting Carlton, playing in a Premiership was not one of them.

He jagged the hammy kicking a left foot torp after training had finished a couple of weeks earlier so the conspiracy theory that he was pissed off that he wasn’t rested for Round 23 doesn’t make sense.

I suspect that he has been frustrated that his body often lets him down and that goes back to his pre-draft years. If he does get his body right then he will become a very good player but he has never demonstrated a fierce love of the game. I suspect that he sees it as a means to an end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://thewest.com.au/news/albany-advertiser/star-carlton-recruit-fractures-back-ng-b881057791z
Star Carlton recruit fractures back
Cameron NewboldAlbany Advertiser
Friday, 21 December 2018 5:43PM
1545376296767_GLD204ICV.1-2.jpg

Mitch McGovern has been injured during pre-season training.Picture: Daniel Carson/AFL Media
Newly recruited Carlton forward Mitch McGovern is expected to be out of action for at least a month after fracturing his back.

McGovern, a North Albany product, has a minor fracture in his back which occurred during match simulation and will be sidelined for at least a month.

Players are heading in their break over the Christmas and New Year period and it’s a bitter blow for the youngest of the McGovern brothers as he tries to impress in his first pre-season with the Blues since being traded from the Adelaide Crows.

The 24-year played 67 games with the Crows but was plagued by ankle and hamstring injuries, which also saw him miss out on their 2017 grand final appearance.

https://thewest.com.au/news/albany-advertiser/star-carlton-recruit-fractures-back-ng-b881057791z

Mitch McGovern has been injured during pre-season training.Picture: Daniel Carson/AFL Media
Newly recruited Carlton forward Mitch McGovern is expected to be out of action for at least a month after fracturing his back.

McGovern, a North Albany product, has a minor fracture in his back which occurred during match simulation and will be sidelined for at least a month.

Players are heading in their break over the Christmas and New Year period and it’s a bitter blow for the youngest of the McGovern brothers as he tries to impress in his first pre-season with the Blues since being traded from the Adelaide Crows.

The 24-year played 67 games with the Crows but was plagued by ankle and hamstring injuries, which also saw him miss out on their 2017 grand final appearance.
Poor guy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So he's not spineless after all

Sorry, couldn't resist

The Crows departing-player injury curse continues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back