Mitchell Marsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Geoff is his old man and an Australian selector ... helps getting in the team when dads picking the side
You do know Geoff stopped being a selector before Shaun had even made his first class debut, right?

Haha, I just looked up that nickname and read the backstory for it for the first time:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/gnome-slur-angers-langer-20040216-gdxbei.html

I don't know if it's just the way the article written but this is hilarious.

All part of the great Aussie tradition of being able to dish it out, but being weak as piss when it comes back. Glenn McGrath says hello.

And anyway, if I were Wayne Clark, I'd be more annoyed seeing my name repeatedly misspelled.

1. The state-vs-state bs is exactly that, bs. There's no real conspiracy to select only NSW players in the test cricket team, and while Victorians (me included) want more Victorian's to be represented in the test team, most of the best players come from NSW. Just because a few spuds from WA get selected, it doesn't change that fact. Cricket and Rugby are the primary sports in NSW.

It's not just the Vics! Here in Adelaide we had to put up with Ken Cunningham whinging about this for 30-odd years. He was a prime, grade A moron who, inconceivably, was given a microphone and a prime-time radio slot.

There's a good reason that NSW has won the Shield 46 times - 15 times more than VIC, and 7 times more than TAS, SA, QLD and WA combined.

Um.

I don’t know how to answer morons.

Geoff has never been a selector for the Australian team while Shaun and Mitch have played.
that really is something. Mitch would have been in primary school when Geoff stepped down as selector

He can’t possibly play in this test. The whole insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

When has a top 6 batsmen after 31 tests and an average of 25 gone on to become even a decent batsmen?

Generally speaking every good all rounder ever was superior in either batting or bowling, or at least could justify their spot with just one without the other.

With Mitch you have a guy with a batting record similar to Pat Cummins and bowling record worse than Steve Waugh’s.

I’m sick to death of these no rounders playing and our obsession ever since 2005 when Flintoff dominated.

We would kill for a Shane Watson now, he’s pretty much Imran Khan in comparison to M Marsh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man people have short memories.

Shane Watson:

2015: 4 tests, average 30.3
2014: 5 tests, average 25.8
2013: 12 tests, average 35.2
2012: 6 tests, average 31.5
2011: 6 tests, average 24.1

33 tests, 1861 runs @ 30.5, from age 30 to 34 as an experienced test cricketer.

But yes, he'd be our saviour.
Surely it would be fairer to show his full career rather than just pick from the the years where he struggled.

At his best he was a terrific cricketer

2009: 716 runs at 65
2010: 897 runs at 42

He had a career batting average of 35 which is fairly handy for an all rounder, it's 50% more than the all rounder we have now.

He's also got a very good bowling record for an all rounder. Averaged 27 with the ball in 2010 and 19 in 2011. A career bowling average of 33

He would walk into this side and be one of our best players without a doubt

Watson was an excellent bowler but injury took its toll on his body and he became a part timer. He was a bit like Ryan Harris in that he's not that tall but generated his pace from his upper body strength. He suits limited overs bowling a bit like Andrew Tye because he is accurate and ha plenty of variation but when he has to bowl 20 or 30 overs with the batsman not needing to score quickly he's easier to get away bowling 130s.

Out of interest how many Shield games did Marsh play before his test debut and how many since? Do you have that info and his record before/since making his test debut
When Watson first came out of Tassie he was bowling high 130’s of a long run

I always assumed it was Greg Chappell who was the Mitch Marsh mark. No actual proof of this other than my own natural bias. But it's what I thought

It's a pretty s**t situation - he seems a really good bloke from afar and by all reports from the people that know him he is a ripper; he also doesn't pick himself and can't be expected to knock back selection (*, I'd be lucky to get bat on ball at Test level, but if they wanted to pick me to play for Australia you'd better believe I'd be out there in a flash making an absolute goose of myself).

That said, he isn't and has never been a Test number 6. Maybe he will be eventually - he's clearly got talent, but right now he's not even close. He simply can't be picked until he shows some good and sustained form for WA. I really hope he makes it as a Test all rounder - I like him - and I think he can make it, but playing him right now isn't good for anyone, least of all Mitch himself.

So what does it really say to us all when a player gets one game mid-series and is dropped?

No consistency from the 'selectors' and the brown nosed gnome. That is more damning than anything Mitch Marsh can do or does.

So what does it really say to us all when a player gets one game mid-series and is dropped?

No consistency from the 'selectors' and the brown nosed gnome. That is more damning than anything Mitch Marsh can do or does.

Should be thankful to get a test, his 30 previous tests he's probably had 1-2 half decent performances. Next. He's ordinary.

Man people have short memories.

Shane Watson:

2015: 4 tests, average 30.3
2014: 5 tests, average 25.8
2013: 12 tests, average 35.2
2012: 6 tests, average 31.5
2011: 6 tests, average 24.1

33 tests, 1861 runs @ 30.5, from age 30 to 34 as an experienced test cricketer.

But yes, he'd be our saviour.

Even cherry picking his poorer years, he still averages over 5 runs more an innings than M Marsh.

Would hardly be our savior, but the side would be a hell of a lot better with him in it than the no rounders we select.

Even cherry picking his poorer years, he still averages over 5 runs more an innings than M Marsh.

Would hardly be our savior, but the side would be a hell of a lot better with him in it than the no rounders we select.

Not cherry picking years, those are his last 5 years. He coasted off an excellent 2009 and a good 2010 for a long time.

Part of the problem with Watson is that he made all of his runs as an opener then they shuffled him from 3-6 hoping he'd find a niche that he never found.

Marsh isn't doing enough to stay in the side, but he hasn't averaged 25 the entire time. He started off OK, had a lean run, made a couple of big scores then had a very lean run. Was still averaging 30+ a couple of tests ago. If he'd converted a few of his 40s into big scores early on he would've bought a lot more leeway from his critics even if out of form as he is now. He's kind of the opposite of his brother, makes a lot of scores in the 20s and subsequently averages that. Shaun averages 35 but has very few scores around that mark. 100, 0, 0 will do that.

Not cherry picking years, those are his last 5 years. He coasted off an excellent 2009 and a good 2010 for a long time.

Part of the problem with Watson is that he made all of his runs as an opener then they shuffled him from 3-6 hoping he'd find a niche that he never found.

Marsh isn't doing enough to stay in the side, but he hasn't averaged 25 the entire time. He started off OK, had a lean run, made a couple of big scores then had a very lean run. Was still averaging 30+ a couple of tests ago. If he'd converted a few of his 40s into big scores early on he would've bought a lot more leeway from his critics even if out of form as he is now. He's kind of the opposite of his brother, makes a lot of scores in the 20s and subsequently averages that. Shaun averages 35 but has very few scores around that mark. 100, 0, 0 will do that.

The only time Marsh was actually doing enough to stay in the side was when he scored big scores on flat wickets when the side declared for 650 runs each time.

Yes it is correct that for a brief moment Marsh got his average up to 30 after those knocks, but don't forget Watson had an average of over 40 at one stage during his career to. I think we can all agree that would never happen with Marsh.

You are also leaving out the bowling stats

Watson: 75 wickets at 33 with three 5 wicket hauls

Marsh: 34 wickets at 43 with no 5 wicket hauls

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back