MLB Season 2006 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Meshugeh said:
ESPN will be showing Major League Baseball again from June.
Can I ask if you or anyone else knows why the fudge that is the case? Why aren't they showing it now?

I have sent an email to ESPN asking why they're not showing it, why they didn't let us know they weren't showing it, and what they will be doing to justify not showing it to people like myself who purchse Foxtel pretty much only for coverage of US sports (okay I do like the world football too but that is beside the point).

Not getting my hopes up for a reply though so if anyone here can give some insight I'd appreciate it.

Not happy:mad:

Donkey said:
Can I ask if you or anyone else knows why the fudge that is the case? Why aren't they showing it now?

I have sent an email to ESPN asking why they're not showing it, why they didn't let us know they weren't showing it, and what they will be doing to justify not showing it to people like myself who purchse Foxtel pretty much only for coverage of US sports (okay I do like the world football too but that is beside the point).

Not getting my hopes up for a reply though so if anyone here can give some insight I'd appreciate it.

Not happy:mad:

I have enquired as well, but neither ESPN nor Foxtel have been forthcoming with an explanation.

It is not good enough!!!!!

Well im only predicting the Yankees to win their division as thats all that matters ;)

The batting line up they have assembled is pretty awesome with Damon leading off and if they can get their pitching sorted they should be hard to hold out.

Off to a slow start this season however but hey that happened last season as well.

I hope to go to at least one game this season if i can :)

jlc

Another Aussie in the Show

Peter Moylan became the 23rd Australian to play in the Major Leagues today when he made his debut for the Atlanta Braves.

Moylan was pitching for local Victorian side Blackburn just a few months ago before making the Australian team at the World Baseball Classic.

His 96mph heater impressed Braves scouts who signed Moylan to a contract, and the rest is history.

Moylan pitched 1 inning of relief for the Braves in their 7-5 loss to Philadelphia, allowing 1 hit and striking out 1 Phillies batter.

FYI

My email
I have a number of questions regarding ESPN Australia's Major League Baseball coverage. One week into the Major League Baseball season and ESPN Australia has not shown a single game, and I see nothing in the guide which suggests they will in the future. Will ESPN be telecasting MLB this season? If not, will ESPN be taking off those false advertisements which say "catch MLB all season long on ESPN"? Also if not, how will ESPN and Foxtel justify not showing MLB to those of us who purchased Foxtel for the live MLB? If ESPN won't be showing MLB this season, can we expect to see increased coverage of other sports like the NBA? Finally, if ESPN will be showing MLB this season, why have we not seen any games up to this point. Thank you

Their reply
ESPN is currently in negotiations with Major League Baseball. We hope to have a deal in place soon.

Doesn't the fact that they're showing games everywhere else in the world indicate they already have a deal?

Catman said:
Carlos Lee - give him that much discussed contract extension now!

He's carrying us at the moment.
Personally what I'd do if I was Doug Melvin, is let him build his value right up until the deadline, and them trade him to a contender for some real good prospects.

You've got some OF's in the minors like Anthony Gwynn, Nelson Cruz who will be ready soon, and the likes of Weeks, Fielder etc. aren't going to hit their prime for at least another 3-4 years.

I don't know if you guys could afford to re-sign. He'd probably get upwards of $10M I'd imagine.

DBAH0 said:
Jim Thome is back. And he's better than ever. :)
gee that would of sent the five sox fans into raptures. the mets off to a flyer don't tell me we may finally take the n.l east from those detested braves.

DBAH0 said:
Personally what I'd do if I was Doug Melvin, is let him build his value right up until the deadline, and them trade him to a contender for some real good prospects.

You've got some OF's in the minors like Anthony Gwynn, Nelson Cruz who will be ready soon, and the likes of Weeks, Fielder etc. aren't going to hit their prime for at least another 3-4 years.

I don't know if you guys could afford to re-sign. He'd probably get upwards of $10M I'd imagine.

Fair point. I know that Mark Attanasio has mentioned a number of times of an intention to increase payroll since he bought the club. He has gradually increased it this season.

It may come down to deciding the value of Carlos to the club in it's current stage of development (becoming a playoff contender) or what can be saved or obtained via a trade if $10mil (which would be pretty close to the mark I'd imagine) is deemed too much. It will all depend on where we're at come the deadline.

It's an interesting scenario.

Catman said:
Fair point. I know that Mark Attanasio has mentioned a number of times of an intention to increase payroll since he bought the club. He has gradually increased it this season.

It may come down to deciding the value of Carlos to the club in it's current stage of development (becoming a playoff contender) or what can be saved or obtained via a trade if $10mil (which would be pretty close to the mark I'd imagine) is deemed too much. It will all depend on where we're at come the deadline.

It's an interesting scenario.
Exactly. The Brewers are definitely heading down the right path. My thoughts are that they won't be in the elite for possibly a few seasons at least, which by then Carlos Lee may be out of his prime.

But it's good to see Attanasio committing extra money to the payroll. You guys are building something good up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DaSawx said:
I know:mad: Red Sox had an early game which they could have showed, but noooooooooooooo!!

With the Sox coverage done by NESN they're not shown much on FoxsportsNet so you very rarely get to see them on Fox here (outside the playoffs). Only when they're away to someone who doesn't generate their own coverage.

I emailed ABC's Media Watch about the false advertising on ESPN (those ads saying "catch MLB all season long" which they still play to this day) and the lie reply I got to my email complaint.

I don't expect them to do anything about it but it would be good if some more people could do the same. That way someone might stand up and take notice.

It is farcical that a network can continuously advertise falsely, lie about why they're not covering something, and continue to shaft people who pay for a crap pay TV package just for their poor ass "coverage" (only when they feel like it) of American sports because it's virtually the only option.

Donkey said:
I emailed ABC's Media Watch about the false advertising on ESPN (those ads saying "catch MLB all season long" which they still play to this day) and the lie reply I got to my email complaint.

I don't expect them to do anything about it but it would be good if some more people could do the same. That way someone might stand up and take notice.

It is farcical that a network can continuously advertise falsely, lie about why they're not covering something, and continue to shaft people who pay for a crap pay TV package just for their poor ass "coverage" (only when they feel like it) of American sports because it's virtually the only option.

I'm on it

DaSawx said:
Also didn't Fox Sports used to show live games on a Saturday night/Sunday morning, I'm sure that's where I saw the Tek A-Rod fight

Youre right, but I think Fox in the USA dont do the Saturday games until later in the season, probably why Jeannie Z is still doing the Nascar coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back