MLB 2022-2023 hot stove

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw a good post online about why the pitch clock might not be a great idea.

”I can appreciate efforts to speed up the pace of the game and I was open to it, but one game in and having all these rules is ridiculous. Imagine a game in the regular season ending because this (Atlanta game in spring training that ended because the batter was not ready), or even a key AB of the game.

Imagine being a pitcher in the middle of a heated battle in a key moment and having to focus on your next pitch, remembering the count, the pitch sequence, keeping an eye on the runners, plus all these new little rules like how many times you've stepped off the mound that PA, how many pickoffs you've attemped that PA, how much time you got left on the clock...who the heck is going to remember all this stuff?

MLB seems to want to make the game as complicated as possible the last several years. The average fan doesn't give a crap about this stuff. What % of fans have time in their busy lives to look all this crap up and memorize it? Its already impossible for most fans who don't obsess over this stuff to follow all the rules about the luxury tax and draft pick compensation and the roster rules and revenue sharing etc. The draft lottery draw last year I mean WTF was that, nobody knew wtf was going on. MLB is so utterly clueless.

Just simplify it as much as possible. They wanted more SB's so they made the bases bigger. Very simple solution to a problem that requires zero effort for anyone.”

I don’t mind the pitch clock but can understand why it sucks for others.

”I can appreciate efforts to speed up the pace of the game and I was open to it, but one game in and having all these rules is ridiculous. Imagine a game in the regular season ending because this (Atlanta game in spring training that ended because the batter was not ready), or even a key AB of the game.

Imagine being a pitcher in the middle of a heated battle in a key moment and having to focus on your next pitch, remembering the count, the pitch sequence, keeping an eye on the runners, plus all these new little rules like how many times you've stepped off the mound that PA, how many pickoffs you've attemped that PA, how much time you got left on the clock...who the heck is going to remember all this stuff?

MLB seems to want to make the game as complicated as possible the last several years. The average fan doesn't give a crap about this stuff. What % of fans have time in their busy lives to look all this crap up and memorize it? Its already impossible for most fans who don't obsess over this stuff to follow all the rules about the luxury tax and draft pick compensation and the roster rules and revenue sharing etc. The draft lottery draw last year I mean WTF was that, nobody knew wtf was going on. MLB is so utterly clueless.

Just simplify it as much as possible. They wanted more SB's so they made the bases bigger. Very simple solution to a problem that requires zero effort for anyone.”

It'll be interesting to see the if the number of arm/shoulder injuries increase due to pitch clock and not as much rest in between pitches.

I reckon it may get pushed out to 20 secs and 25 for runner on in a year or two. But there are pitchers and batters who take way to long to get ready. Batters walking out of the batters box every pitch, redo their gloves etc. Pitchers taking forever to pitch. Got themselves to blame for a lot of it some of these players.

There will be some teething issues but they'll get used to it. Everyone will go overboard when umps get it wrong or it costs a team a run or two or a game but it'll blow over.

If Hayden Wesneski doesn’t make the ML roster out of spring training, there is something seriously broken with the Cubs. He’s got nasty stuff.

If Hayden Wesneski doesn’t make the ML roster out of spring training, there is something seriously broken with the Cubs. He’s got nasty stuff.
Getting some wicked movement

Scherzer has already started using it against hitters...

Interesting to hear Zach Wheeler's views too:

"I think it just messes with the game too much," Wheeler said outside the Phillies' clubhouse at BayCare Ballpark. "I think maybe there can be a pitch clock but not so quick. It could stop the really long guys who drag the game, but when you're rushing guys that normally aren't slow, I think it messes with the game too much.​
...​
He's also not a fan of the quick-pitch ability it gives a pitcher, even though it's something that should specifically help the man on the mound.​
"I know certain guys are going to use it to their advantage but I really don't like to do that, the gamesmanship of it," he said. "A guy steps in the box, they're expected to be ready to hit and we can throw a pitch right then and there. I don't think that should be part of it. We can do it, and maybe I'll do it eventually in a big situation, but I don't think that should be part of it."​

It'll be interesting to see the if the number of arm/shoulder injuries increase due to pitch clock and not as much rest in between pitches.

I reckon it may get pushed out to 20 secs and 25 for runner on in a year or two. But there are pitchers and batters who take way to long to get ready. Batters walking out of the batters box every pitch, redo their gloves etc. Pitchers taking forever to pitch. Got themselves to blame for a lot of it some of these players.

There will be some teething issues but they'll get used to it. Everyone will go overboard when umps get it wrong or it costs a team a run or two or a game but it'll blow over.
There was no increase in arm injuries in the minor leagues last year when they tested the clock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was just going to say, the pitch clock was tested in the minor leagues and the consensus was that it was a definite improvement for the game-play. Baseball can't afford a slow pace of play like when you see one pitch thrown every 30 seconds (or longer). Something needed to be done.

World Baseball Classic starts this week. Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread.

Baseball Australia's website states that Australia's pool games will be shown on ESPN on Foxtel and Kayo. Australia takes on Korea at 2pm AEST on 9 March, followed by a game against China at 2.00pm AEST on 11 March, then the big game against Japan on 12 March at 9pm AEST, with the final pool game against Czechia on 13 March at 2.00pm AEST. I expect Australia will lose big to Korea and to Japan, so it will depend on the results against China and Czechia as to whether Australia progress. Former A's player Eric Sogard will be playing for Czechia.

Australia plays two exhibition games today and tomorrow against Japanese teams from Ivy Stadium in Miyazaki as their final games to prepare for the WBC.

I was just going to say, the pitch clock was tested in the minor leagues and the consensus was that it was a definite improvement for the game-play. Baseball can't afford a slow pace of play like when you see one pitch thrown every 30 seconds (or longer). Something needed to be done.

I watched a bit of our spring training game today and it was great, no more pissing around between pitcher and hitter. A quick AB takes 1-2 minutes now, whereas, before the same AB would take 5-7 minutes. How boring when it was like that for an entire game.

World Baseball Classic starts this week. Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread.

Baseball Australia's website states that Australia's pool games will be shown on ESPN on Foxtel and Kayo. Australia takes on Korea at 2pm AEST on 9 March, followed by a game against China at 2.00pm AEST on 11 March, then the big game against Japan on 12 March at 9pm AEST, with the final pool game against Czechia on 13 March at 2.00pm AEST. I expect Australia will lose big to Korea and to Japan, so it will depend on the results against China and Czechia as to whether Australia progress. Former A's player Eric Sogard will be playing for Czechia.

Australia plays two exhibition games today and tomorrow against Japanese teams from Ivy Stadium in Miyazaki as their final games to prepare for the WBC.

I was worried leading up that the WBC wouldn’t be show, or only Australia’s games. But it would seem like they will all be shown.

Just change the date.

I was worried leading up that the WBC wouldn’t be show, or only Australia’s games. But it would seem like they will all be shown.

Just change the date.

Looks like the Australia games will be on ESPN2, but other games are on the watchESPN app.

Sunday's slate of games looks pretty awesome. Dominican Republic against Venezuela at 11am on Sunday, followed by Great Britain v USA at 1pm, with Japan v Australia in the evening.

The Detroit Tigers have added reliever RHP Trevor Rosenthal on a minor league deal with an invitation to Spring Training. It's the second time that Rosenthal has been in the Tigers organisation, having made 10 appearances for the Tigers in 2019. Rosenthal has not played since 2020 due to injuries. Thoracic outlet syndrome kept him out of the 2021 season after being signed to an $11 million contract by the Oakland Athletics. He was then signed by the Giants in 2022, but was traded to the Brewers in exchange for Tristan Peters while still rehabbing that injury. He pitched two innings of relief in a rehab assignment for the Brewers before ending the season on the IL with a lat injury.

Rosenthal will earn $2 million if he makes the 26-man roster for the Tigers, and there is an extra $2 million in incentives available for him.

The MLB has completed its investigation into allegations against Chicago White Sox pitcher Mike Clevinger and have determined that Clevinger will not face any suspension or other discipline from the league. The MLB stated that they had interviewed more than 15 individuals (in addition to the player and the complainant) and reviewed available documents (such as thousands of emails). The Commissioner's Office closed the investigation and, barring the receipt of any new information or evidence, would not impose discipline on Clevinger.

In response, Clevinger (through the MLBPA) released his own statement indicating that he had nothing to hide and cooperated fully with the MLB.

The Colorado Rockies have agreed to a minor league deal with veteran infielder Mike Moustakas. If he makes the 26-man roster, he will only be paid the minimum salary, with the Cincinnati Reds on the hook for the rest of the $22 million salary he was slated to earn from the Reds in 2023, as per the four-year, $64 million deal that he signed with the Reds in the 2019-2020 offseason. Moustakas will take home $18 million from the Reds in base salary, together with a $4 million buyout of a $20 million club option for the 2024 season.

Moustakas is not under consideration for second base duty, despite the fact that the Rockies lost Brendan Rodgers for a good chunk of the forthcoming season thanks to a dislocated shoulder suffered during Spring Training. Moustaskas has 613 2/3 innings in the MLB of experience at second base, but it seems that the Rockies are viewing him as a potential platoon option for right-handers C.J. Cron and Sean Bouchard at first base.

Moustakas won a World Series with the Royals in 2015 and hit .262/.326/.490 with 138 homers over 2700 plate appearances between 2015-2020, but injuries took their toll on him in his last two seasons with the Reds, as he hit .212/.289/.356 in 491 plate appearances since the start of the 2021 season.

The Los Angeles Angels have hired long-time catcher Kurt Suzuki as a special assistant to GM Perry Minassian, according to the team. He retired at the end of the 2022 season, having played 16 years in the MLB (two with the Angels, as well as two years with the Braves when Minassian worked in the front office). Suzuki entered the league with the Oakland Athletics, having been drafted by the A's in the second round of the 2004 draft. Suzuki also played with the Twins and the Nationals (Suzuki won a World Series ring with the Nats in 2019).

The Dominican Republic has lost a big bat in their WBC campaign, with Vladimir Guerrero Jr withdrawing from the DR squad with right knee soreness experienced while running the bases during a Spring Training game last week. An MRI of the knee showed minor inflammation but no structural damage.

The Colorado Rockies have agreed to a one-year, $2 million deal with reliever LHP Brad Hand, placing RHP Tyler Kinley on the 60-day IL to create space on the 26-man roster for Hand. Hand will receive a guaranteed salary of $1.5 million in 2023, with a $500,000 buyout of a club option of $7 million for 2024. Another $1 million bonus is available for Hand if he is still in the organisation by Opening Day (either on the active roster or on the IL). Hand will suit up for his 13th season in the MLB, and his eight different team, having previously played for the Marlins, the padres, Cleveland, the Nationals, the Blue Jays, the Mets and the Phillies.

The Texas Rangers have signed LHP Will Smith to a one-year, MLB contract, with INF Mark Mathias designated for assignment to make room for Smith on the active roster. Smith is in line to earn $1.5 million in guaranteed salary, with up to $2.5 million of bonus money available, related to incentives based on total appearances and games finished.

Smith finished the 2022 season with the Houston Astros (although he did not pitch during the post-season). Smith won back to back world championship rings, having been traded by the Braves to the Astros at the trade deadline in 2022.

The Rangers acquired INF Mark Mathias as part of a trade deadline deal that sent Matt Bush to the Brewers in return. Mathias played 24 games for the Rangers in 2022. He hit .277/.365/.554 in 74 plate appearances. Mathias was a third round draft pick for Cleveland back in 2015, and batted .286/.377/.466 in 715 career plate appearances at Triple-A. Given his production at the high minors, and his utility to play a number of positions in the infield, it seems more than possible that the Rangers may not be able to hang on to Mathias through waivers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back