Discussion My son's spine - before and after

Remove this Banner Ad

Some time ago, I'm pretty sure I mentioned on this forum that my son had a spine operation in August 2012, to correct his rapidly worsening scoliosis. He was 12 at the time, and his spine was bending at such an alarming rate, that the curvature went from 50% to 66% in the space of about 12 months. Without surgery, his vital organs would have been in jeopardy. I recently rediscovered these before and after x-rays of his spine, which depict the severity of his condition before the operation, as well as the remarkable job the surgeons did to correct the problem.

View attachment 745877View attachment 745878View attachment 745879View attachment 745880

I just wanted to share these images with you, to highlight the astonishing work done every day by our medical experts. They often don't get the recognition they so richly deserve. If you happen to win next week's $150 million Powerball jackpot - yeah right, you could do a lot worse than to donate some money towards your local Women's & Children's Hospital. It's an incredibly worthy cause: without which our boy's quality of life would be significantly worse than it is today.
Thanks for sharing that story Phil, just wow!
Your little man must have been so brave to undergo that op and come out the other side; and the strain on your family must have been immense.
Those of us that are challenged in the way your son has been...are so strong!

I drove my parents and sister to Melbourne many years ago when my niece was born with holes in her heart. I aqua planed on the freeway momentarily somewhere near Ballarat in teeming rain. I'll never forget it; and honestly believe that a higher-being looked after us that night....then I backed off the throttle. The medical people / experts / nurses do an absolutely amazing job!! My niece still sees her heart surgeon and has pigs arteries put into her heart as she outgrows them. Without our health we have nothing.

I came here expecting some long winded, enjoyable joke, but was instead treated to a little warmth in my heart.

Glad to hear everything went alright back then. How's your boy going nowadays?
Some time ago, I'm pretty sure I mentioned on this forum that my son had a spine operation in August 2012, to correct his rapidly worsening scoliosis. He was 12 at the time, and his spine was bending at such an alarming rate, that the curvature went from 50% to 66% in the space of about 12 months. Without surgery, his vital organs would have been in jeopardy. I recently rediscovered these before and after x-rays of his spine, which depict the severity of his condition before the operation, as well as the remarkable job the surgeons did to correct the problem.

View attachment 745877View attachment 745878View attachment 745879View attachment 745880

I just wanted to share these images with you, to highlight the astonishing work done every day by our medical experts. They often don't get the recognition they so richly deserve. If you happen to win next week's $150 million Powerball jackpot - yeah right, you could do a lot worse than to donate some money towards your local Women's & Children's Hospital. It's an incredibly worthy cause: without which our boy's quality of life would be significantly worse than it is today.

Thanks for sharing that story Phil, just wow!
Your little man must have been so brave to undergo that op and come out the other side; and the strain on your family must have been immense.
Those of us that are challenged in the way your son has been...are so strong!

I drove my parents and sister to Melbourne many years ago when my niece was born with holes in her heart. I aqua planed on the freeway momentarily somewhere near Ballarat in teeming rain. I'll never forget it; and honestly believe that a higher-being looked after us that night....then I backed off the throttle. The medical people / experts / nurses do an absolutely amazing job!! My niece still sees her heart surgeon and has pigs arteries put into her heart as she outgrows them. Without our health we have nothing.

The kids in that hospital taught me another lesson - patience. Some of them had suffered sickening injuries, such as a 9 year old boy, who must have fallen out of the only tree in Coober Pedy (in northern SA). The Royal Flying Doctor Service flew him to Adelaide, and this little bloke had to lie perfectly still for 7 days, because any sudden movement could have damaged his spine.

Other children also had awful injuries, but the common thread amongst all of them was their lack of complaining. We sometimes complain about a runny nose or a mild headache. Toughen up you lot - compared to those little Aussies in that hospital, we've got nothing to complain about!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back