Discussion NAFL 2018-19 Premiership Season Hub

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
"San-full", "Nee-full"
Though I don't pronounce it "Affle" or "Viffle"
I'm a stubborn old mongrel who refuses to say San-full: always S A N F L for me (until I finally admit one day that it's quicker & easier to say San-full)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

crow28

AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Moderator #64
Naffle, Feera, Can-Am, Flow, C-R-C-C, Waffle, San-full, V-F-L, Neefle
Same for all of these.

craegus, I feel like you’d know this. Before the days of the ARL/NRL, what would people say when referring to the NSWRFL/NSWRL? Did they pronounce the acronym or just say the whole name?

craegus

Over a decade of badgelessness
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal
Same for all of these.

craegus, I feel like you’d know this. Before the days of the ARL/NRL, what would people say when referring to the NSWRFL/NSWRL? Did they pronounce the acronym or just say the whole name?
From my memory it varied.

Most would say the letters (So N, S, W, R, L), but also NSW Rugby League or the full New South Wales Rugby League would be used.

However, in most cases these competitions were called by the competition name (Winfield Cup, Reserve Grade, Jersey Flegg) or First Grade/Second Grade etc. rather than by the organisation which would only be used when referring to it specifically rather than the competition.

caloschwaby

The One and Only
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Celtics, Renegades, Packers
Interesting...
With my local footy league being the EFL, I pronounce it "E F L" rather than "Effle".
I figure it has to do with the acronym featuring a consonant, then a vowel, followed by "FL".

Freight Train

Single Fin aficionado.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cherries, Glory, Marítimo, Raptors
Thread starter #71
PSA: May be some delays with NAFL over the next week or so, currently moving into a new place and internet isn’t connected yet so fun times! Will try to get a round up in the next couple of days though in between all the unpacking etc.

Top Bottom