Nathan Jones 300 🥳🥳🥳🥳🤗🤗🤗

Remove this Banner Ad

An absolute warrior, and the perfect example of getting everything out of yourself.

The club has surely had more talented players through the dark times of 07-15, but if even one of them played with half of the courage, determination and commitment this bloke had, we may have won a few more games.

Terrific tribute. He’d certainly be a fan favorite where I’m from.

Love the Jonesy avatars. I'm in as well!

PS. How unlucky is Gus playing his 100th this weekend? He's gonna get absolutely nothing!
Given they have a ripping relationship he’s probably chuffed.
Dusty 250 as well.

Sorry for the intrusion, but I just wanted to say that I have an incredible amount of respect for Jones. He stuck with the Demons through the dark times when he could easily have left. He was never the most skilled or flashy player, but he always had a steely resolve to lead by example and drag others with him. He deserves a lot of credit for Melbourne's resurgence and I hope he is able to enjoy some much-deserved success.

I know. Plus we got to 5-0 with the rabbit and I’m nervous about changing it up
Most of our losses over the last six years have featured the rabbit too.

Most of our losses over the last six years have featured the rabbit too.
Well yes.

I wonder if the past decade-and-a-half might have gone differently if someone had persuaded Headless to let go of Brock?

Love the Jonesy avatars. I'm in as well!

PS. How unlucky is Gus playing his 100th this weekend? He's gonna get absolutely nothing!
Ironic that they’re sharing a milestone match when they have two of the most opposite lids possible

Would love to see the club get Junior involved this weekend. Genuinely makes me sick to think that he didn’t get to play his 300th. Probably my favourite MFC player from that era. Another one who went above and beyond to make the most of his talent, and achieved much more than many of his more talented but less committed peers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i am so ******* glad he's got this big milestone in front a big crowd in a huge primetime game (and our home game). The media might over shadow it with dusty, but it beats him reaching 300 paying in front of nobody at the Gabba on sunday arvo.

The most famous older brother of a Zac in AFL history, the man with the most appropriate nickname. Jones deserves every bit of tribute given this week and more. He has given his all to the Dees and deserves to be spoken of in the company of Neitz, Flower and Barassi as a servant of the club. Must admit though I am dreading the poorly drawn comparisons that some idiot commentator will make on ANZAC eve about warriors.

Love the bloke. Will miss his bald head with the number 2 on it running around when he does hang up the boots.

He stood for everything our footy club wasn't for so long.

It's great to see him enjoying being a part of a winning team. Hopefully he can kick a classic chunk goal (gather, shimmy, bang it on the right boot from 50 out) on Saturday night that will turn the G upside down.

Bloody legend.

Who will be our next to get there?

Melksham and McDonald the closest, but wouldn’t bet on either of them given recent fluctuations in form and health. Would both have to play to 34. Certainly not impossible though, esp for TMac if he can keep impacting up the ground.

Would obviously love for May and Tomlinson to get there as it would mean our key position posts are sorted for another 6-7 years, though it’s again unlikely. Also wouldn’t be 300 games for us (as with Melk and Hibberd).

Max would have to play another seven seasons until 37. Sandilands was basically cooked by 33. Eked out another 40 or so games and retired at 37. Would take a miracle, for Jackson to take over full time rucking soon and Max managing to stay fully fit. After double ACL surgery? Very much impossible.

So Oliver the clubhouse leader for mine, having to play until at least 32. Has looked durable so far but those shoulders are a concern.

Lever and Trac both missing full seasons doesn’t help their case, and not sure if ACLs make it less likely their bodies will hold up. Can’t think of any 300 gamers who did ACLs young. Would both have to play until at least 34. Viney and Salem the same. No ACLs but have always been injury prone.

ie Oliver is our only realistic shot in the next ten years other than Jones. More likely than not we could be waiting another generation until we get to experience this again. Meanwhile the Tigers will likely have Riewoldt make it this year, and three others (Edwards, Cotchin, Martin) get there in the next 2-3 years.

Emphasises how special it is for a club like ours. Let’s enjoy it while we can.

Who will be our next to get there?

Melksham and McDonald the closest, but wouldn’t bet on either of them given recent fluctuations in form and health. Would both have to play to 34. Certainly not impossible though, esp for TMac if he can keep impacting up the ground.

Would obviously love for May and Tomlinson to get there as it would mean our key position posts are sorted for another 6-7 years, though it’s again unlikely. Also wouldn’t be 300 games for us (as with Melk and Hibberd).

Max would have to play another seven seasons until 37. Sandilands was basically cooked by 33. Eked out another 40 or so games and retired at 37. Would take a miracle, for Jackson to take over full time rucking soon and Max managing to stay fully fit. After double ACL surgery? Very much impossible.

So Oliver the clubhouse leader for mine, having to play until at least 32. Has looked durable so far but those shoulders are a concern.

Lever and Trac both missing full seasons doesn’t help their case, and not sure if ACLs make it less likely their bodies will hold up. Can’t think of any 300 gamers who did ACLs young. Would both have to play until at least 34. Viney and Salem the same. No ACLs but have always been injury prone.

ie Oliver is our only realistic shot in the next ten years other than Jones. More likely than not we could be waiting another generation until we get to experience this again. Meanwhile the Tigers will likely have Riewoldt make it this year, and three others (Edwards, Cotchin, Martin) get there in the next 2-3 years.

Emphasises how special it is for a club like ours. Let’s enjoy it while we can.

Jackson :hearteyes:

Thanks CA. Any other main takeaways?
There’s a determination that’s coming through from a lot of players and Goody. I think we are going to be at the pointy end this year.

Thanks CA. Any other main takeaways?
The ball was in his court in regards to playing in 2021 with no promises and he wanted to go on. Feels the buy in by the players has been a gradual process since 2018 and in 2018 it was a very young team who got on a good run late in the season. Has been outspoken with the young players to embrace the good form, as his career - playing finals in his 8th game them then not again for 13 years, shows it’s not guaranteed. seems to provide some good perspective to the team. Said the level of maturity amongst the team has really lifted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back