Nathan Jones 300 🥳🥳🥳🥳🤗🤗🤗

Remove this Banner Ad

Game on. Was the only player you could hang your hat on in the dark era, game after game. Got so much admiration, love & respect for the bloke. Kept me sane through some horrendous football times when I didn't have much else but football to spend my time with. Geez that was a rubbish time.

I've got a soft spot for Col Garland and that brief period where Dom Tyson's hair suddenly looked like a Trojan warrior and Jonesy finally had a team-mate to bash heads with. Everything else from that period that has good memories is pretty much all Jonesy.

If we miraculously stumble into a grand final he’s my injury sub
ngl i would start him on the ground. even if he is a grandpa now, i garuntee he'd be one of those players that would suddenly play out of their skin on grand final day

Thought you would have learnt from the James McDonald disaster by now.
I hadn’t even thought of that! I would love to see you get picked up by the GWS board. They need more labs

The most famous older brother of a Zac in AFL history, the man with the most appropriate nickname. Jones deserves every bit of tribute given this week and more. He has given his all to the Dees and deserves to be spoken of in the company of Neitz, Flower and Barassi as a servant of the club. Must admit though I am dreading the poorly drawn comparisons that some idiot commentator will make on ANZAC eve about warriors.
Are we going to see a Nathan avatar from you Imet? Or if you prefer, Mr Hassa?

Can't find the video but he broke Luke Parker's jaw off the square in his debut for GWS about 5 seconds inkl
I do remember. Didn’t recall the number of weeks (and I’m honestly known for a freakish memory -you must be better)

Just watched his interview on On The Couch. The experience he has and what he passes on to the younger group shows how valuable he is to this team. So glad the club gave him the opportunity to call the terms on how he finishes his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah I made up the 4 think he got 2 lol
These days who knows.

Junior is a big reason why I reckon it is important for Melbourne supporters to get around Nathan. We disrespected a club champion back then. I hated it. Ancient hated it even more. And look what happened.

Win or lose on Saturday I’m totally excited to go there and cheer myself stupid for what that man has given to the club.

Nothing but respect for this bloke. Met him a couple of times and was a ripping bloke to chat too as well. Gave everything to this club when we probably didn't deserve his loyalty and commitment. Was always tough and worked damn hard to improve his skills too. Deserved 300 and I'm absolutely rapt for the bloke that he'll be running out in front of a packed crowd with a chance to go 6-0. Congrats Jonesy..

Are we going to see a Nathan avatar from you Imet? Or if you prefer, Mr Hassa?
Ah, this will be a big move for me, never having had an avatar. However, I see now that I am letting the team down so will commence immediately on production of my Nate avatar. Imet is fine, Mr. Hassa is only for formal address and we are all friends here.

Had to look this up because I could only remember the "Bogan Ablett" line, but I think it was a pretty accurate summation at the time (2015 pre-season):

Since I’ve started watching footy, one team that I’ve tried my best to avoid was the Melbourne Demons. Meek offense. Defensive pressure seemed optional. Every quarter bathed with eye-pinching blunders and Norm-Smith-grave-spinning miscues.

In general, a Dees game was like being stuck in 45°C closet watching a Gwyneth Paltrow romantic comedy next to a bucket of horse piss. The only ray of sunshine was witnessing the unceasing tenacity of Nathan Jones. With the bald head, stocky frame and covered in lightly menacing tattoos, he looked like a lowbrow version of Gary Ablett.

And like the Little Master, Jones did it all for the Dees. He led them in disposals, clearances, contested possessions and disposal efficiency, just name a few categories. Yet unlike Gazza, Jones’ SC averages were rather, well, unAblett-like (89-97-90 for 2011-2013). So same I started calling him “Bogan Ablett.”

Nate Jones always made me stand a little prouder (not hard) as Dees supporter through those days. Always had a relentless attack on the football regardless of what his teammates were doing; never took a backward step or shirked a contest. Just wasn't in his nature to give anything less than his best effort.

Thanks for sticking with us, Chunk.

Hope the guys who were bagging the sh&t out of Jones late last year saying he should retire and he was a campaigner can find it in themselves to be on board here congratulating him on a job well done.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

On The Couch interview was good. Not sure that Chunk has been the best judge of how he's been tracking in recent years. He is now. That interview showed he knows exactly where he is and what he has to do to keep playing. There are no promises, no guarantees. I hope he can hold his spot and take Neiter's record. For no other reason than to see a big picture of that bald, beautiful, tattooed bogan hanging in the halls as club record holder. (Contingent of course on us finding a home & building halls in it)

How many of the posts in this thread do you reckon would make it onto the MCG scoreboard?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back