NEAFL 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Finals set!

Swans Giants first week bye.
Hornets v Thunder and Uni v Suns (great win btw)

Looks like the GF will most likely be in Sydney?

Grimlock,

The G/F will only be held in Sydney if either the Students, Giants or Swans win through, My way of understanding the NEAFL finals agreement is that any top finishing Non AFL side playing off in NEAFL G/F will host it at their home ground - Fair chance that the Swans and Giants may feature this year, which will unfortunaitly mean not much for a win to either side, but just a seconds Flag and Premiership Cup, as stated by most, AFL Clubs only measure success by Senior Final appearances and ultimately Silverware Won in them.

That's what I meant, because the top 3 sides are all Sydney based sides, unless Aspley or NT make it and also don't play Sydney Uni then it will be in Sydney (assume Blacktown). To it's most likely to be in Sydney.

NEAFL TIPPING COMP - final result
getgaff...................................................61.......4........65
Chikka Ferguson.....................................62.......3........65
Ally Craft................................................62.......2........64
Billybunter.............................................61.......3.........64
justabaraker..........................................61.......2.........63
Stuyd1...................................................60......3.........63
Peanut...................................................59.......3........62
ravenxau...............................................55.......4........59

So GetGaff gets up in the last stride and breasts the tape in a deadheat with Chikka....Olympics style.
Well done to you both and to all our runners.

Just in case anyone happens to be interested, here is the score card from 12 months ago

Grimlock (2) 76
Billybunter (3) 76

Stuyd1 (2) 74
Pea Nut (*5) 74
Lifes a Beach1 (2) 72
Chikka Ferguson (3) 71
justabaraker (1) 67

Now it's finals time and I hope we can keep a bit of chatter going for the next few weeks

Last edited:
NEAFL TIPPING COMP - final result
getgaff...................................................61.......4........65
Chikka Ferguson.....................................62.......3........65
Ally Craft................................................62.......2........64
Billybunter.............................................61.......3.........64
justabaraker..........................................61.......2.........63
Stuyd1...................................................60......3.........63
Peanut...................................................59.......3........62
ravenxau...............................................55.......4........59

So GetGaff gets up in the last stride and breasts the tape in a deadheat with Chikka....Olympics style.
Well done to you both and to all our runners.

Just in case anyone happens to be interested, here is the score card from 12 months ago

Grimlock (2) 76
Billybunter (3) 76

Stuyd1 (2) 74
Pea Nut (*5) 74
Lifes a Beach1 (2) 72
Chikka Ferguson (3) 71
justabaraker (1) 67

Now it's finals time and I hope we can keep a bit of chatter going for the next few weeks

Can't believe I joint won the comp. Congrats also to Chikka and all tipsters. Was a well fought out comp and a good lot of fun. To be honest not living in NSW I haven't followed the closely but have kept alert on how the Thunder have been tracking through NITV when possible.

My current tip is the Swans to take out the flag but well done to the Suns on making it into the finals. Has been a horror run with injuries for their AFL side which you'd think hasn't allowed a lot of continuity at team selection with fringe players dropping in and out.

Something that the Swans and Giants haven't encountered so much and have been able to have more settled sides I'd imagine.

Can't believe I joint won the comp. Congrats also to Chikka and all tipsters. Was a well fought out comp and a good lot of fun. To be honest not living in NSW I haven't followed the closely but have kept alert on how the Thunder have been tracking through NITV when possible.

My current tip is the Swans to take out the flag but well done to the Suns on making it into the finals. Has been a horror run with injuries for their AFL side which you'd think hasn't allowed a lot of continuity at team selection with fringe players dropping in and out.

Something that the Swans and Giants haven't encountered so much and have been able to have more settled sides I'd imagine.

Well done to getgaff and chickka and also to Justa for running the comp through the year.

Congrats to all of the winners at the NEAFL awards tonight as well especially Matt Payne, a talent never tried at the big time, the mind just boggles - Just goes to show the talent and list managers at the Queensland AFL sides are not worth their money as not one Lions or Suns player made it into the NEAFL team of the year. Some cleaning out I feel is required at both clubs starting with the talent scouts and a lot of so called future senior AFL players who just show week in and out that they can't cut the mustard.

Also good luck to all of the sides who made the NEAFL finals series this year the whole 6 of them, I can't help but think it is a bit of a joke that 5 out of the 11 miss out in playing finals, the top 2 get a rest (WTF) and the other 4 bash themselves around this weekend and then its a cut throat knock out from next week onwards, final 4 would be more of a challenge in the comp in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SMY1305 said, "That Suns side is unbelievably young. At least 10 kids who are still U 18"
"14 kids actually who played u18 footy this year (although a couple are overages). Bloody good for GC footy"

You could see at the game today that, yes, these are promising Academy standard kids, but that isn't enough to win against a team like the Uni. Most Uni players have experience in the WAFL, SANFL or VFL and are older, stronger and more experienced.
GCS started well enough but by the second quarter they were starting to fall away a bit, under the relentless pressure that they couldn't really deal with, let alone dish out.
Uni won by 11 goals or so.
But, credit to the Suns who stuck with it, and a special mention of the big ruckman (60) who worked his butt off all day.

It's interesting that Suns are a true NEAFL-purpose team of young up-and-comers who are still learning the trade - I think that's the purpose of the NEAFL isn't it ? Whereas Uni is mostly mid-20s footballers who are playing at the highest level that they will ever get to.
Uni is witches hats for the GCS training programme.

It was a good day at the footy, standing at the huddle next to Matthew Lappin and Max Rooke who I would never otherwise have gotten to rub shoulders with.

NEAFL footy is good and I look forward to keeping on watching it as it gets stronger and stronger.

Go Uni.

That big ruckman was probably crossley. The #1 ruckman in the state at underage level. Still only 17, can't be drafted till next year, but been put into the ais academy now. Improves every year.

IMO ,, The Neafl has become a competition with no soul whatsoever ... shame ,, its a comp that wants to be a tier one comp but is nowhere near it and it seperates itself from being a grassroots competition ... Answer to solve it ,,, well I dont have one ,,,
Get the feeling its just to give the AFL ressie sides a competition to compete in ... whilst the local clubs need to find huge amounts of dollars just to be in the comp...

IMO ,, The Neafl has become a competition with no soul whatsoever ... shame ,, its a comp that wants to be a tier one comp but is nowhere near it and it seperates itself from being a grassroots competition ... Answer to solve it ,,, well I dont have one ,,,
Get the feeling its just to give the AFL ressie sides a competition to compete in ... whilst the local clubs need to find huge amounts of dollars just to be in the comp...
probably true but it must be ok as a comp because the swans are continually playing finals at AFL level using many players who have developed in the NEAFL. Demons football manager Sean Young was in charge of the TASFL before joining Canberra. He says Neafl shits all over Tassie football. Dan Gilmore told me 2 weeks ago that recruiters were ringing him regularly now. given northern australias football geography, with few footballers living a long way apart its probably all we can do.....IMO its a unique comp and one i enjoy watching. ps ive seen a few VFL games recently and they are not all great spectacles either!

It may not be as good as the VFL/WAFL/SANFL Stuyd but like Ally said the proof is in the pudding re recruiters. It matters not whether it is a good club based comp - its existence is for blokes to get recruited. I agree too Ally - havent heard anyone say the standard is poor and if its not tier 1 it is probably 1.5!

It may not be as good as the VFL/WAFL/SANFL Stuyd but like Ally said the proof is in the pudding re recruiters. It matters not whether it is a good club based comp - its existence is for blokes to get recruited. I agree too Ally - havent heard anyone say the standard is poor and if its not tier 1 it is probably 1.5!
Hmmm...Yes, I'm with you guys too - not much of a club-based competition but it exists for blokes to get recruited. And, yes, a pretty good standard - it's no big deal to be better than Tassie footy because they say Tassie footy has turned to crap anyway. I watch a bit of suburban footy when in Melbourne and I'd rank NEAFL as on a par with 'pretty good' Melbourne suburban footy - but way below the VFL that i see occasionally on TV.

Having said that, I also agree with Stuyd1 in that it's a money pit for NEAFL clubs - i sure wouldn't put my money in to support a club-NEAFL team, and the clubs would probably strangle if they didn't have commerce to prop them up.

But, I still say that it's good that TIER 1.5 footy is brought to us so close to home.

Hmmm...Yes, I'm with you guys too - not much of a club-based competition but it exists for blokes to get recruited. And, yes, a pretty good standard - it's no big deal to be better than Tassie footy because they say Tassie footy has turned to crap anyway. I watch a bit of suburban footy when in Melbourne and I'd rank NEAFL as on a par with 'pretty good' Melbourne suburban footy - but way below the VFL that i see occasionally on TV.

Having said that, I also agree with Stuyd1 in that it's a money pit for NEAFL clubs - i sure wouldn't put my money in to support a club-NEAFL team, and the clubs would probably strangle if they didn't have commerce to prop them up.

But, I still say that it's good that TIER 1.5 footy is brought to us so close to home.

Yes I agree on the comments ,, it is of a good standard, and I recognise it helps players to be looked at by AFL recruiters ,,, my major point , was ,, there is just no soul , no real feeling from spectators ,, poor attendances at games etc etc. and the dollars required just to compete in the comp is huge for the Aspleys, Redlands , Sharks ,Canberra demons and UNI

Remove this Banner Ad

Back