Toast Ned Guy and the List Management Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like we're going with 33 + 2 = 35 on the senior list, 5 x cat A rookies (Appleby, Broomhead, Mihocek, Noble, Tohill) and 3 x cat B rookies (Magden, Keane, Wilson).

Wonder if they have their eyes on a DFA somewhere, as I can't see us using 3 picks in the ND - which we are currently going to have to do as our list currently stands?

Looks like we're going with 33 + 2 = 35 on the senior list, 5 x cat A rookies (Appleby, Broomhead, Mihocek, Noble, Tohill) and 3 x cat B rookies (Magden, Keane, Wilson).

Wonder if they have their eyes on a DFA somewhere, as I can't see us using 3 picks in the ND - which we are currently going to have to do as our list currently stands?

Tohill is Irish and a Cat B rookie I believe.

Agree with the idea that a smaller senior list is the way to go. Rookies allow for more flexibility. The days of taking a punt on a kid with pick 70 in the draft appear over.

Think the minimum is two selections in the national draft.

Agree with the idea that a smaller senior list is the way to go. Rookies allow for more flexibility. The days of taking a punt on a kid with pick 70 in the draft appear over.

They were both brought over as Cat B rookies (ie. they didn't have to be drafted or anything), but one of them had to be officially listed as Cat A under the rules for Irish rookies on AFL lists (a club can only have one Irish Cat B rookie at any one time) and I think it was Tohill who ended up being the Cat A rookie, with Keane being Cat B - if memory serves me correctly.

My understanding is that the "one Irish cat B rookie only" rule is there to stop AFL clubs from plundering young promising gaelic football prospects willy nilly.

The minimum senior list size is 38 and the minimum number of draft picks clubs must generally use at the national draft is 3 theoretically speaking.

A rookie elevation to the senior list can count in lieu of a national draft pick, so with Lynch being elevated the minimum number of picks for us is theoretically two, but with only 35 senior listed players currently on the books (including Cameron coming across and Lynch's elevation) we effectively still need to add three more senior listed players, between any delisted free agent pickups we make prior to and/or after the national draft / pre-season drafts (if we make any at all) and actual national / pre-season draft selections.

Last edited:

Dunno about that, late picks will always be potential gems. But unless someone stands out in the draft, maybe they will wait, keep a spot or two open, and grab another Wilson and Noble during the season

I don't think flexibility is the issue. I think it's more to do with salary cap, I think this will mean that we'll remain at 38 and 6 for a while, as rookie bases don't count in TPP. Rookies do potentially increase flexibility, because you only have to list them for one year, but we rarely use that flexibility - I can't remember the last time we delisted a rookie after 1 year, so I don't think it'd be a huge consideration.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back