Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we've all struggled to see where he fits into this side from day one, and given we have so many small mid/fwds already, he probably has to go so Berry and Pedlar can develop. Can't be in the same side as Murphy, they're too similar.

I think we've all struggled to see where he fits into this side from day one, and given we have so many small mid/fwds already, he probably has to go so Berry and Pedlar can develop. Can't be in the same side as Murphy, they're too similar.
Murphy doesn’t have to be there either

Perfect for the fishing show.

If he could just work out a way to have composure when it counts, he could be an average player. Decent short kick when he's in space, good hustle.

But things like the dropped mark in the goal square, or the miss from 20m out straight in front... inexcusable for what is a marginal player at best.

Should be out of the side this week, and ideally not used again.

If it was possible to delist McHenry literally tonight, to free up a spot to use on a midseason draft pick, I’d do it. Sure, we can already do that via Milera being on the LTI list - but I don’t care. We all know we’re delisting Strachan (2025) and Borlase (2024) anyway. We also know ROB has the skills of someone who just picked up a football for the first time in their lives, and Butts is not AFL standard in any way. Throwing a couple of darts at a high upside ruck and an athletic key defender would be far better than watching this talentless plodder embarrass himself.

There are 100 blokes running around in amateur leagues who would offer more than this thing, and if he’s selected next week, even as sub, it’s almost comical.

The likes of Dowling, Pedlar and Edwards (and Berry, and Cook) simply must ALL be prioritised over McHenry moving forward, in whatever role it is that McHenry has been making a fool of himself and Hamish Ogilvie in.

I despise the continued selection of Ned as much as the next person, but in the role he plays, what output would deem him acceptable at AFL level? He's never going to be the match winning small forward. Doesn't have the talent. So would have to play in the mould of Gryan Miers I would suggest to become an integral part of the side. Elite pressure up forward, but getting enough of it outside the arc and delivering inside 50 to our key targets. And when he does get an opportunity in front of goal, he just has to convert. And from what we have seen thus far, he clearly doesn't have that in him.

But I'd love to know what the coaches are saying to him internally and what they are asking from him. Do they think he is currently AFL standard or is actually having enough impact on games that we don't have a better option? Or is he just being told to run around like a chicken with it's head cut off chasing defenders when they have the ball, and that is enough?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I despise the continued selection of Ned as much as the next person, but in the role he plays, what output would deem him acceptable at AFL level? He's never going to be the match winning small forward. Doesn't have the talent. So would have to play in the mould of Gryan Miers I would suggest to become an integral part of the side. Elite pressure up forward, but getting enough of it outside the arc and delivering inside 50 to our key targets. And when he does get an opportunity in front of goal, he just has to convert. And from what we have seen thus far, he clearly doesn't have that in him.

But I'd love to know what the coaches are saying to him internally and what they are asking from him. Do they think he is currently AFL standard or is actually having enough impact on games that we don't have a better option? Or is he just being told to run around like a chicken with it's head cut off chasing defenders when they have the ball, and that is enough?
They are asking him not to impersonate Benny Hill

Here are some instructions that might help:
1. When tex laces you out in the goal square, don’t drop the chest marl
2. One minute later when being heroic in the back line, don’t shank a kick across your body to CHB and cost us a goal
3. Occasionally, just occasionally, kick the ball to the advantage of a team mate

I’m sure there’s a few other things.

Sorry, but there is no excuse for how s**t this guy is. Please, please, please never again

2. One minute later when being heroic in the back line, don’t shank a kick across your body to CHB and cost us a goal
3. Occasionally, just occasionally, kick the ball to the advantage of a team mate

Sorry, but there is no excuse for how s**t this guy is. Please, please, please never again
4. Kick ball in air

headless-chicken.jpg

I can't wait for the day that I don't see anyone from that disastrous 2018 draft still on our list. McHenry is woeful.

You also missed his shot 25m out straight infront, which was just before 2.

We’re now in Jake Kelly territory in that he’s at least a semi-regular player in the AFL side that we hope requests a trade at the end of the year

1. When tex laces you out in the goal square, don’t drop the chest mark
In McHenry's defence, he wouldn't have kicked the goal so it didn't really cost us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back