gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
My childhood love for Neil was aroused in the 1973 Prelim against Pies. In this legendary game the Tiges came back from a rather large deficit to overwhelm outmuscle and over run the Pies during the height of their Colliwobbles blue period. This was not just any old prelim. The year before we had been humiliated in the GF by our nemesis Carlton. I was in the southern stand that day, in tears, watching jackson nicols walls and jezza continuously kick goals from absolutely every conceivable angle. Nichols as captain coach pulled off one of the great masterstrokes with a high risk creative game day strategy that had Hafey and richmond metaphorically smashed to pieces. By 73 we were out for revenge. If we lose the prelim though, blues get the double and the tiges could have been in an historical mess with Gra Gra no doubt wielding an axe sacking everyone in sight, destroying the club 10 years prematurely. And at half time 73 prelim the tiges were gone. Gra Gra's revenge on his own club was looming. Most histories of this game focus on a half broken Hart coming on at half time and turning the game. This is not what happened. What really happened was Neil Balme. He took marks. He smashed the ball forward when he couldnt mark. He made his presence felt against the Pies defense. He ended up with 5 goals and with great support from KB the tiges got over the line. God praise Neil Balme for keeping the season and our revenge mission alive. He saved the year, saved the Club from Gra and got us into the 73 GF. I started wearing number 21 that week. And we all know what happened in the 73 GF. Neil played out his own masterplan against the blues by wielding a not very subtle sledgehammer around and scaring the shite out of the blues. Tiges won comfortably. We ate em alive. Revenge. And the double was achieved the next year making richmond the most fearsome and successful club of that time. Thanks to Neil's two big finals games.

I spent 20 years after 82 dreaming about getting some old stalwarts back to resurrect the club. My 2 faves for the job were sheeds and balme. While they were coaching premierships at other clubs the tiges fell into armageddon. My dreams would never be realised. I became distraught then depressed then defeated. The tiges were mostly crap for 30 odd years. A basket case.

Then Neil finally returned. The rest is history.

God Praise Neil Balme, twice the resurrection hero of RFC.

My childhood love for Neil was aroused in the 1973 Prelim against Pies. In this legendary game the Tiges came back from a rather large deficit to overwhelm outmuscle and over run the Pies during the height of their Colliwobbles blue period. This was not just any old prelim. The year before we had been humiliated in the GF by our nemesis Carlton. I was in the southern stand that day, in tears, watching jackson nicols walls and jezza continuously kick goals from absolutely every conceivable angle. Nichols as captain coach pulled off one of the great masterstrokes with a high risk creative game day strategy that had Hafey and richmond metaphorically smashed to pieces. By 73 we were out for revenge. If we lose the prelim though, blues get the double and the tiges could have been in an historical mess with Gra Gra no doubt wielding an axe sacking everyone in sight, destroying the club 10 years prematurely. And at half time 73 prelim the tiges were gone. Gra Gra's revenge on his own club was looming. Most histories of this game focus on a half broken Hart coming on at half time and turning the game. This is not what happened. What really happened was Neil Balme. He took marks. He smashed the ball forward when he couldnt mark. He made his presence felt against the Pies defense. He ended up with 5 goals and with great support from KB the tiges got over the line. God praise Neil Balme for keeping the season and our revenge mission alive. He saved the year, saved the Club from Gra and got us into the 73 GF. I started wearing number 21 that week. And we all know what happened in the 73 GF. Neil played out his own masterplan against the blues by wielding a not very subtle sledgehammer around and scaring the shite out of the blues. Tiges won comfortably. We ate em alive. Revenge. And the double was achieved the next year making richmond the most fearsome and successful club of that time. Thanks to Neil's two big finals games.

I spent 20 years after 82 dreaming about getting some old stalwarts back to resurrect the club. My 2 faves for the job were sheeds and balme. While they were coaching premierships at other clubs the tiges fell into armageddon. My dreams would never be realised. I became distraught then depressed then defeated. The tiges were mostly crap for 30 odd years. A basket case.

Brilliant post.

Good question. I want to know why it took so long to get Balme back too. You would throw him any money he asked wouldn't you?

Probably because we were a basket case for the best part of 30 years I reckon.

Balme as a single factor during those periods wouldn’t have been the difference for a flag. He is now because of the changes that were made off the back of the review commissioned by the club last year. Timing is everything - just look what’s happened to the pies since he left. Even their club doctor has been struck off. What a mess.

Best Balmey moment I ever saw was the 1978 Rd 3 draw with St Kilda at the G.

That washed up thug Carl Ditterich was belting Jimmy Jess behind play all the 1st Qtr. When he kept at it in the 2nd Balmey made Jimmy change positions and at their first contest, Balmey swung a beautiful round arm that caught Ditterich on the chin.

It sent his daggy bandiana flying off the top of his bald head and laid him out flat.

How we all cheered when Ditterich tried to get up, I swear even Umpire Sutcliffe had a bit of a chuckle and didn't pay any free.

Yep God praise Neil Balme, a real Tiger.

Best Balmey moment I ever saw was the 1978 Rd 3 draw with St Kilda at the G.

That washed up thug Carl Ditterich was belting Jimmy Jess behind play all the 1st Qtr. When he kept at it in the 2nd Balmey made Jimmy change positions and at their first contest, Balmey swung a beautiful round arm that caught Ditterich on the chin.

It sent his daggy bandiana flying off the top of his bald head and laid him out flat.

How we all cheered when Ditterich tried to get up, I swear even Umpire Sutcliffe had a bit of a chuckle and didn't pay any free.

Yep God praise Neil Balme, a real Tiger.
Is this the one where Balmey jumped on his back when he was going down for good measure?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder when old players say the aren't proud of what they did back when they played whether that is actually being honest.

Balmey would probably say he isn't proud of that bit of vision but given it's Ditterich who went around belting little blokes he probably sleeps pretty well I'd say.

I wonder when old players say the aren't proud of what they did back when they played whether that is actually being honest.

Balmey would probably say he isn't proud of that bit of vision but given it's Ditterich who went around belting little blokes he probably sleeps pretty well I'd say.
Neil has been asked this question a few times. He has always responded, no regrets, he took and gave, and that was how it was then.

64e574653a71dd069e261b0cc751e424--tigers-football.jpg

how's ya father hahahaha

I now NEED to see this game. There's my day off tomorrow sorted!

Big Carl in 60s was a sight - great player very athletic big bloke. He got into the habit in later decades of going after little blokes.
Remember when he burst on the scene and the old Sporting Globe dubbed him The Blond Bombshell. He was no respecter of persons and that's a fact. The enfant terrible of the League.

Remember when he burst on the scene and the old Sporting Globe dubbed him The Blond Bombshell. He was no respecter of persons and that's a fact. The enfant terrible of the League.

Yep a very private person who I guess didn't care much about others. I remember he never went on World of Sport either as a player interviewed or as a coach on 'Coaches Corner'.

Yep a very private person who I guess didn't care much about others. I remember he never went on World of Sport either as a player interviewed or as a coach on 'Coaches Corner'.
I didnt know that. Heard latterly he has hit hard times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back