New Brisbane Stadium (2032 Olympics)

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? That's very odd, considering two of Brisbane's busiest bus routes have a stop just opposite the netball stadium. Not a big walk from there.

I know, I even double checked to make sure bus was ticked. Even Google hates Garden City and Mt Gravatt :D

I'm shocked the venue map doesnt include Roma St railway. Surely they'd want that finished by 2032 and the transport links are the best in Brisbane.

also unlike the old QEII the current entertainment centre has a rail link at least.

maybe the state/fed govt could step in an build a couple of road bridges across the river. given that brisbane has a river the lack of bridges is amazing. if anything happens between fig tree pocket and jindalee the entire south west of brisbane turns into a carpark. god forbid anything happens on the gateway. or even the story. never mind the victoria is closed now and you cant get to the go between from the city. FMD

I'm shocked the venue map doesnt include Roma St railway. Surely they'd want that finished by 2032 and the transport links are the best in Brisbane.

also unlike the old QEII the current entertainment centre has a rail link at least.

maybe the state/fed govt could step in an build a couple of road bridges across the river. given that brisbane has a river the lack of bridges is amazing. if anything happens between fig tree pocket and jindalee the entire south west of brisbane turns into a carpark. god forbid anything happens on the gateway. or even the story. never mind the victoria is closed now and you cant get to the go between from the city. FMD

Great point.

Regarding the Western Corridor TMR are currently undergoing a feasibility study for a Kenmore Bypass

When I lived in SEQ I was staggered with the lack of planning west of the city. The majority of the population density between 1960 and 2000 was west of Coronation Drive and yet the majority of the population is completely under serviced by railway

Great point.

Regarding the Western Corridor TMR are currently undergoing a feasibility study for a Kenmore Bypass

When I lived in SEQ I was staggered with the lack of planning west of the city. The majority of the population density between 1960 and 2000 was west of Coronation Drive and yet the majority of the population is completely under serviced by railway
looked at the Kenmore bypass lol still cant get across the river. will take a little pressure off Moggill, not much mind. but if anything happens on the bridge it'll still be a carpark.

they also putting a third lane on the bridge at jindalee yay 2 lanes to 3 to 2 that'll help. (with more accidents)

Docklands is quality on the convenience scale, took them years to figure out how to get the turf right and the roof/sunlight issues, but it's all well and good now

• Right next to Melbourne's biggest train station
  • Plenty of places closeby to get a bite to eat or a drink before/after games
  • Stadium capacity is generally fine for what it's used for (aside from Essendon away games where you can only sit up in the nosebleeds)
Essendon home games are annoying because they have the whole stadium basically presold, but I guess that's no different to a Geelong game for away members too. Away fans aren't entitled to go to away games over the home team's members.

My biggest gripe with Docklands right now is the roof. Wish they'd rip it off and replace it with a glass one (whether it opens or not don't really care). That place is so depressing on a Sunday arvo with the artificial lights, feels like you're trapped in a hospital. It's always a breath of fresh air when the roof is open, makes the joint feel more like the footy.

Docklands is quality on the convenience scale, took them years to figure out how to get the turf right and the roof/sunlight issues, but it's all well and good now

• Right next to Melbourne's biggest train station
  • Plenty of places closeby to get a bite to eat or a drink before/after games
  • Stadium capacity is generally fine for what it's used for (aside from Essendon away games where you can only sit up in the nosebleeds)
Homebush is a different kettle of fish

I agree homebush is homebush. But I've seen many a soccer fan complain about rectangle mode being too far away, had the same issues with wsw at the showgrounds and west ham at London stadium.

Docklands is great in all the ways you suggested, I just don't think rectangle sport would work in a dual format stadium. Unless they go down the route of homebush with the fully retract seats.

Essendon home games are annoying because they have the whole stadium basically presold, but I guess that's no different to a Geelong game for away members too. Away fans aren't entitled to go to away games over the home team's members.

My biggest gripe with Docklands right now is the roof. Wish they'd rip it off and replace it with a glass one (whether it opens or not don't really care). That place is so depressing on a Sunday arvo with the artificial lights, feels like you're trapped in a hospital. It's always a breath of fresh air when the roof is open, makes the joint feel more like the footy.
I don't go to Geelong for that very reason, have only been for a HnA game 3 times in my life (last in 2011, went twice in the 90s with my dad)

Would only consider if their capacity grows to 40k and a reasonable amount of seated GA was available (say 5k or so)

I don't go to Geelong for that very reason, have only been for a HnA game 3 times in my life (last in 2011, went twice in the 90s with my dad)

Would only consider if their capacity grows to 40k and a reasonable amount of seated GA was available (say 5k or so)
Apparently the final stage will see 40k seats but I reckon most will go to members because we still lock out a lot of home fans.

The thing we haven’t taken into account with the push to get rid of the Gabba. Where is the Olympic cricket going to be held looks increasingly likely that now India has agreed and taken steps to be fully WADA compliant cricket will return to the Olympics in 2028

The thing we haven’t taken into account with the push to get rid of the Gabba. Where is the Olympic cricket going to be held looks increasingly likely that now India has agreed and taken steps to be fully WADA compliant cricket will return to the Olympics in 2028
my guess would be they keep the Gabba until then and use it for the cricket and once the games are finished, the new stadium gets refurbished if needed, and is then used for cricket from then on. If they end up using the Gabba as the main stadium then the cricket will have to probably be played at AB Field and other venues around Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Between metricon and Alan border (along with venues interstate); that's in the hypothetical that the gabba is demolished. Not sure what would happen., would need a main cricket venue and an athletics field. Wasn't there rumours that it was going to be women's t20?, if that is the case would be easier to play multiple games a day at a main venue.

Between metricon and Alan border (along with venues interstate); that's in the hypothetical that the gabba is demolished. Not sure what would happen., would need a main cricket venue and an athletics field. Wasn't there rumours that it was going to be women's t20?, if that is the case would be easier to play multiple games a day at a main venue.
No just womens for the Com games. It’s cricket USA who is behind the push as they want it to help launch Major League Cricket that they have been spending big money on and the IOC only wants to include it if the test nations commit to sending their top players

Initially England and India opposed it, England didn’t like the fact it would interrupt their home summer every 4 years and also didn’t like they would be forced to compete as team GB and not England. India wasn’t properly WADA compliant and the BCCI didn’t want to hand over control of the side to the Indian Olympic Committee

No just womens for the Com games. It’s cricket USA who is behind the push as they want it to help launch Major League Cricket that they have been spending big money on and the IOC only wants to include it if the test nations commit to sending their top players

Initially England and India opposed it, England didn’t like the fact it would interrupt their home summer every 4 years and also didn’t like they would be forced to compete as team GB and not England. India wasn’t properly WADA compliant and the BCCI didn’t want to hand over control of the side to the Indian Olympic Committee
has the Great Britain issue been resolved? And would BCCI hand over control? Because I could never ever see BCCI ever doing that

It'd also mean West Indies players would have to split up into their nations (if they qualified)

has the Great Britain issue been resolved? And would BCCI hand over control? Because I could never ever see BCCI ever doing that

It'd also mean West Indies players would have to split up into their nations (if they qualified)
England will have to play as team GB as England as a nation doesn’t compete at the Olympics same with the West Indies

The BCCI will just corrupt the Indian Olympic committee

England will have to play as team GB as England as a nation doesn’t compete at the Olympics same with the West Indies

The BCCI will just corrupt the Indian Olympic committee
I can imagine the GB team would just be the England side, can't imagine any Scottish players would get a game

AB Field, Riverway Stadium (Townsville), Cazaly's Stadium (Cairns), Metricon if it isn't being used for track and field

it would be the same as the Commonwealth Games for the women's cricket next year. The West Indies will have a nation in the games but all the West Indies nations will play a tournament with the winner qualifying for the Commonwealth Games

it would be the same as the Commonwealth Games for the women's cricket next year. The West Indies will have a nation in the games but all the West Indies nations will play a tournament with the winner qualifying for the Commonwealth Games
It will be up to all the Olympic committees of the individual nations. Can’t see them not sending a side each

You aren’t playing Olympic cricket at venues that hold less than 10k makes perfect sense to keep the Gabba as the main cricket ground
Metricon is more than 10k. Also can easily use temporary stands and most if not all venues. Alot of the games wouldn't have more than 10k anyway.

Metricon is more than 10k. Also can easily use temporary stands and most if not all venues. Alot of the games wouldn't have more than 10k anyway.
every game involving Australia or India would get more than 10k

Remove this Banner Ad

Back