News New Premier Partner - Starfish Developments

Remove this Banner Ad

imagine if a canal was built to Adelaide, as originally planned
Was there ever going to be a canal on Port Road?

The train made the need for a canal redundant.

"Around the same time South Australia was founded, a new technology was emerging — rail — which was much cheaper and quicker for freight and passenger transport than canals. ... Work started in early 1854 and the first train ran between Adelaide and Port Adelaide on April 19, 1856. It took 22 minutes, or one minute more than today's Adelaide Metro trains, which stop nine times along the way."

Was there ever going to be a canal on Port Road?

The train made the need for a canal redundant.

"Around the same time South Australia was founded, a new technology was emerging — rail — which was much cheaper and quicker for freight and passenger transport than canals. ... Work started in early 1854 and the first train ran between Adelaide and Port Adelaide on April 19, 1856. It took 22 minutes, or one minute more than today's Adelaide Metro trains, which stop nine times along the way."

Two years to construct and one whole minute slower than it takes for the current train to make the same journey - glad to see we've progressed so rapidly in the past 162 years.

Two years to construct and one whole minute slower than it takes for the current train to make the same journey - glad to see we've progressed so rapidly in the past 162 years.
I think the 1856 train was an express 1 stop train, not 9 like today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why did I read the comments on the article? Why?????

Today I was asked by friends if I would move back to Adelaide now that my wife and I have broken up. I explained that it can be too negative and there are always naysayers on anything anyone tries to do. Seems still to be the case.

for the record, I think it is great that SOMETHING happens (without knowing all about the area etc)

Amazing what can be done without just demolishing everything. In Bunbury this:

1538703363468_GJ61S4P7R.2-1.jpg

Became this:

Silo-Apartments-01.png

Why did I read the comments on the article? Why?????

Today I was asked by friends if I would move back to Adelaide now that my wife and I have broken up. I explained that it can be too negative and there are always naysayers on anything anyone tries to do. Seems still to be the case.

for the record, I think it is great that SOMETHING happens (without knowing all about the area etc)

NEVER read the comments.

Great news. So important for our club that this heartland flourishes. An attractive Port becomes a public advertisement for our club, and with more money flowing through it will naturally lead to more opportunities for financial partnerships.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back