Status
Not open for further replies.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
All sadly true - not mentioned was that Alan Jeans was a copper so strong belief that his mates squashed the affair.

Jeans had a well known philosophy - if an opposition player was starring . . . take him out . . . period.

No proof is possible but the truth is widely suspected.

Didn't Jeans tell O'Dae to smash Greening?

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
The greening incident was a disgrace.

I’d be wary of thinking it only happened to us.

Duncan Wright not exactly Santa Claus.

Thankfully the king hit has disappeared from our game. And I think the eagle this year should have got a year minimum intent or not.

Just take off the D and they were there.

Jane Fonda about 50 years ago.
John greening, a real terribly football tragedy.

Despicable act of the lowest form by his opponent.

I’m a bit too young to remember him, just what people say.

Dreadful act by the st kilda low life.

He was just electric. Could do everything, exciting, a match winner. Think Daics then go another level or two

Started as a 17 yo 4 month when debuted in 1968. Was round 5 and he only missed 1 game for remainder of the season. From there he played every Collingwood game until round 14 1972 when O'Dea belted him. He was only 21 yo and already had played 98 games. Had 14 votes in the Brownlow after 13 rounds. Thommo won it for us that year but Greening would have possibly won it if he finished the season. He was already a star pre 1972 but he was launching into the stratosphere, was going to be the no 1 payer in the game by seasons end as a 21 yo.

As great as he was Daics never reached that level of dominance. Carmen did in his 1st season in the VFL but was a mature 24 yo. Still that was as exciting as Greening in 72. Missed 8 matches with a leg injury and lost the Brownlow by 4 votes to Gary Dempsey. Dempsey hasd 21 matches to Carmens 14. Wow, later he self imploded so as much as I ioved watching him he doesnt get the sympathy Greening does. Specially after the 77 2nd semi. Why Phil why?

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
He was just electric. Could do everything, exciting, a match winner. Think Daics then go another level or two

Started as a 17 yo 4 month when debuted in 1968. Was round 5 and he only missed 1 game for remainder of the season. From there he played every Collingwood game until round 14 1972 when O'Dea belted him. He was only 21 yo and already had played 98 games. Had 14 votes in the Brownlow after 13 rounds. Thommo won it for us that year but Greening would have possibly won it if he finished the season. He was already a star pre 1972 but he was launching into the stratosphere, was going to be the no 1 payer in the game by seasons end as a 21 yo.

As great as he was Daics never reached that level of dominance. Carmen did in his 1st season in the VFL but was a mature 24 yo. Still that was as exciting as Greening in 72. Missed 8 matches with a leg injury and lost the Brownlow by 4 votes to Gary Dempsey. Dempsey hasd 21 matches to Carmens 14. Wow, later he self imploded so as much as I ioved watching him he doesnt get the sympathy Greening does. Specially after the 77 2nd semi. Why Phil why?
Yes poor John had everything - and then some.

Opponents feared him and opposition coaches hated him.

Impossible to match up, astonishing mark good pace for his size with great evasive capabilities and a great kick.

Never messed around with the ball either, as soon as he got possession he was headed goalward - hard and fast.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Great shame.

Has Collingwood had the worst luck?

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

And you have to wonder if the 72-75, and 77-80 finals series might have gone a little differently if he'd been able to reach his full potential.

And you have to wonder if the 72-75, and 77-80 finals series might have gone a little differently if he'd been able to reach his full potential.
77 especially. Imagine Carmen doesnt belt Tuck in the 2nd semi. Add Greening to the forward line or in the guts. Kink, Moore, Carmen, Greening with the Richardsons, Wearmouth, Barham, Anderson and Manassa all wanting to bob up and kick a goal also. Where does Twiggy fit in with Greening added?

What riches we could have had.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
77 especially. Imagine Carmen doesnt belt Tuck in the 2nd semi. Add Greening to the forward line or in the guts. Kink, Moore, Carmen, Greening with the Richardsons, Wearmouth, Barham, Anderson and Manassa all wanting to bob up and kick a goal also. Where does Twiggy fit in with Greening added?

What riches we could have had.
And Hafey becomes a 5 time premiership coach putting hm in the stratosphere and Barassi relegates to 3 flags.

I’d cope with that.

And Hafey becomes a 5 time premiership coach putting hm in the stratosphere and Barassi relegates to 3 flags.

I’d cope with that.
Great point. In addition when I play golf with Ross Henshaw I dont get the story of how Barrassi won the replay 5 mins after the draw occurred but I get to ask him whet is was like getting flogged by the Pies in 77. Also with any luck Kerry Good becomes a non issue which is usually his next line.

Gabbo64

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2012
Bunbury WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Great point. In addition when I play golf with Ross Henshaw I dont get the story of how Barrassi won the replay 5 mins after the draw occurred but I get to ask him whet is was like getting flogged by the Pies in 77. Also with any luck Kerry Good becomes a non issue which is usually his next line.
I was at Moorabbin that day. It happened right in front of me. I was on the wing with my dad. I didn't see it as I was following the ball into the forward line. I was in shock when I heard the extent of the injury.
John Greening was simply the best footballer I have ever seen. Phil Carmen + Peter Daicos + Scott Pendelbury = John Greening.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was at Moorabbin that day. It happened right in front of me. I was on the wing with my dad. I didn't see it as I was following the ball into the forward line. I was in shock when I heard the extent of the injury.
John Greening was simply the best footballer I have ever seen. Phil Carmen + Peter Daicos + Scott Pendelbury = John Greening.

At the risk of sounding insensitive, it sounds like the legend and the story may of inflated his abilities just a tad...

I'm sure he was a very good young player, better than Ablett? Better than Judd? He didn't win a best and fairest did he?

Mossi

Senior List
Aug 18, 2005
Italy
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm from the Greening generation! ^ Easy to say we inflate his abilities. If you'd seen him play you can't help but idolize the man! have this vision from a game against the Blues where he flies into a pack and he was out the other side in a flash, or beating everyone on the wing outmaking them and tearing down the wing with no opponent able to catch him. Even my late neighbour who played for Sturt in SA who hated the black and white said J.G. is the best footballer he had ever seen play the game. Sure hands, unbelievable mark, kicked with both feet, agile no end, superb judge of the footy, great link man, ran all day (cut down by cramps in 1970 GF) never phased. Even after nearly 50 years we still feel cheated to only have seen a small part of what John could have brought onto the footy field. For me only Daics and Fabulous Phil brought that magic that Greening conjured. In 1971-72 he was a star, a bit like De-Goey You couldn’t wait to see him strut out on the field and like Daics, or Swanny you knew that when he was going to get near the ball something would happen. The game wouldn't go into slow motion like when Pendles has it in his hands but would accelerate downfield, end up in Barry Price's hands and before you knew it Peter Mac would be slotting it though the middle of the big sticks!!

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
John had wonderful stats but they don't tell the full story by half - his presence and ability to tear a game to shreds were what set him apart from anyone else. Always focussed and attacking John Greening played his footy with INTENT, the ball was always his target when in contention and once he had it instant and devastating attack was as inevitable as taxes and the mother in laws wrath.

At the risk of sounding insensitive, it sounds like the legend and the story may of inflated his abilities just a tad...

I'm sure he was a very good young player, better than Ablett? Better than Judd? He didn't win a best and fairest did he?
Judd would be a good comparison if you wanted a comparison of a young player who so early in their career dominated the competition. Ablett took a lot longer to get going. But these are good comparisons. If he hadn’t been hit Greening would likely have been as dominant a player as those 2. He was way past being “a very good young player” when struck. He was dominating the competition. As a comparison he was already past the top level that a champ like Daicos ever reached.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Judd would be a good comparison if you wanted a comparison of a young player who so early in their career dominated the competition. Ablett took a lot longer to get going. But these are good comparisons. If he hadn’t been hit Greening would likely have been as dominant a player as those 2. He was way past being “a very good young player” when struck. He was dominating the competition. As a comparison he was already past the top level that a champ like Daicos ever reached.

Exactly, had the ground ball game and explosiveness of someone like Judd, but coupled that with the marking ability of someone like Ablett. Finished 7th in the Brownlow in '72 (14 votes) off half a season as a 21 year old. Thomo won it with 25 votes off 21 H&A games.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Interesting speculation about what could have been.

At the very least, he was an elite star who would have added so much to our team. It’s not unfair to say it may have cost us a flag or two. That much of a loss.

Carlton lost Peter Motley as a player, from a car accident career gone. And he on potential was meant to be right up there, but at least for Carlton, the time era he would have played yielded flags for them (boooo).

On everything we know about Greening he’d have been an absolute elite player at a minimum.

We lost big time.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m expecting him to out do Stephenson first year.
I’m expecting him to inherit jumper 35 and keep it.
I’m expecting him to be called the Marvel (PC and all that and tie into some lucrative Marvel Stadium deal)
I’m expecting the media to compare him to dad every passage of play.
I’m expecting one quiet game and some on big footy to say he’s over rated.
I’m expecting KM to pass on him on his draft board

:p:D:p

But no pressure

This is a given. Rated top 5 and passed with our pick 14-18 because he's "too expensive" and "doesn't fill a need" :straining:

Gabbo64

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2012
Bunbury WA
AFL Club
Collingwood

in 1972 he missed the last 9 games after being king hit. He missed the Brownlow by 3 votes. I'm sorry but he was far and away the best I have aver seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back