Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Remove this Banner Ad

What if he doesn't get caught and helps us win a flag?

I mean, if he doesn't get caught and I don't know about it, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say. Maybe some of our premiership players in 97/98 were abusing their partners as well? I can't really say anything meaningful about that.

Ideally, if it's happening I hope the player does get caught.

You may be overstating both the historical scope of any right to free speech (which is not a common law right), and it's effect.

We have to be careful not to try to import American constitutional arguments out of their context.

Absolutely…I’m stating how I think it should be.

I’m well aware it’s not how it is, and I think we’re worse off for it.

Even where the right exists, it is not a protection against consequence: defamation though freely uttered has long been actionable.

Of course, so are threats of violence. But that’s not what this is.

Take it out of its present context: the AFL can never restrict speech? How do they protect sponsorship arrangements?

We’re talking about words in the heat of battle — the only reason you and I know they were used is because the players in question self-reported.

That is an entirely new phenomenon, a batshit crazy one if you ask me.

None of them are actually offended by any of these words. They are all merely shitting themselves, walking on eggshells in an attempt to navigate this ridiculous modern minefield of things you are and aren’t allowed say.

I must admit I find the discussion over the previous pages to be amusing in the context of Tarryn Thomas

Will Powell only used words and allegedly so did Tarryn Thomas - and nobody sees the connection

If you allow a person to normalise slurs against any group then you can end up - an extreme example - with Tarryn casually threatening his ex

I think this is what people are missing

I make no comment on the penalty just amused at the ignorance of ''its only words''

I must admit I find the discussion over the previous pages to be amusing in the context of Tarryn Thomas

Will Powell only used words and allegedly so did Tarryn Thomas - and nobody sees the connection

If you allow a person to normalise slurs against any group then you can end up - an extreme example - with Tarryn casually threatening his ex

I think this is what people are missing

I make no comment on the penalty just amused at the ignorance of ''its only words''
I also think some people still only associate DV with physical acts, not mental ones, so seem to excuse them when it's 'only words'. Both can be just as bad for the victim and both are crimes, which is why police have investigated Thomas more than once now. Given what has just happened to Cam McCarthy, I am very surprised there are still people in society that excuse people like Thomas, especially when it can cause lasting mental health issues for the victim.

Any club taking him on after this latest incident would struggle to get the local corner store as a sponsor and AFL sponsors would also be rightfully asking questions of the executive. I very much doubt he ever sets foot on an AFL field again.

Correct. If "its only words", trying saying these same words on a late night out and see what the potential life threatening repercussions could be.

Correct. If "its only words", trying saying these same words on a late night out and see what the potential life threatening repercussions could be.
Of course, this post also highlights the important difference between words and physical actions.

Don't get me wrong, homophobic abuse isn't going to fly in any professional environment in 2024, including football, but obviously there is an important and very real difference between 'just words' and physical violent acts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, but no one is suggesting having a free for all for other types of misconduct, only this. Apparently the AFL's bad decision making is too much for them to decide on slurs, but not bad enough to have it affect anything else. Why is the line being drawn specifically before dealing with slurs?
In fairness, a bit of this does exist. I remember when Gaff whacked Brayshaw, multiple Fremantle players were out to get him (without a huge amount of success). It does occur reasonably frequently for cheap shots and the like. And if the rumours about the Caminiti/Murphy incident last year are legitimate, then it occurs with sledging that crosses the line as well.

You can enjoy the AFL the same way if you don't partake in media and even ignore this place.

I personally consume very little AFL Footy media. FiveAA sports show every few days is about it. Plus snippets that pop up on my Social media feeds

And this place.

Still enjoy watching the actual game and probably watch more actual games now than when I was Footy media fatigued during the week.

Most Footy media is made up opinion pieces geared towards generating click bait and "discussion".

I guess that is mainstream media as a whole in this era.

AFL is a heavily comprised league, geared towards peripheral entertainment. Having said that the core product I still enjoy.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree, I guess my main point is that there’s barely any SANFL media and discussion to consume and certainly no gossip and sensationalised crap.
It’s the purest form of football at a decent level to be involved with.

There's been a strong tradition of the Government not being able to regulate speech to varying degrees. Private bodies, not so sure.

People were being blacklisted in Hollywood for talking about communism 70 years ago. People were burned at the stake for expressing different religious views. But those were on behalf of the groups in power, not the marginalised.

Concepts like vilification and discrimination are often casually misused, but they start from a position of trying to decide who has and hasn’t got power; which in itself is not always straightforward

Indecent Assault conviction was 1996

He drunkenly groped at a woman’s breast on King St on a night out

Obnoxious behaviour but perhaps not career ending stuff

And no worse (though also awful) than Simon Goodwin drunkenly shoving a journalist against a wall, his forearm wrenching against the journalists throat, whilst threatening to kill him

Being an a-hole isn’t uncommon enough to justify ending someone’s career

Absolutely…I’m stating how I think it should be.

I’m well aware it’s not how it is, and I think we’re worse off for it.

Of course, so are threats of violence. But that’s not what this is.

We’re talking about words in the heat of battle — the only reason you and I know they were used is because the players in question self-reported.

That is an entirely new phenomenon, a batshit crazy one if you ask me.

None of them are actually offended by any of these words. They are all merely shitting themselves, walking on eggshells in an attempt to navigate this ridiculous modern minefield of things you are and aren’t allowed say.

Yes, but once you accept that free speech is not inviolable, and you're talking about specifics, you're out of the first argument and into the second of the two arguments I was attributing to you and more specifically proportionality. And that's where I think there's a better argument to be advanced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back